In my time - Mr Ed. traded 3-range bars as follows:
1. Mark out a price range and trade long from the bottom / short from the top - looking for some sort of confirmation - what ever that was - hence the demise.
2. Wait for a box to form (congestion of several bars) - then
a. trade a 3 bar reversal (which often went more than 3 bars) - basically a mini contiguous move from the box that suddenly stops = change in sentiment (so you take the trade the other way)
b. A break-out from the box
4. A break of a super-trend like indicator - which he automated at one point - called the JAT - Jaguar Automated Trader
5. Something he called a golden boy - which was a W or M pattern at S/R
6. A touch and go - price makes a half a dozen bars - then stops - usually at some obvious point - that was the Touch - then when it reversed - enter the trade on close of the next bar - if the Touch and Go failed - reverse and go the other way...
Seems like the other area of trading skill was around editing the Ninja Trade Log for the website.