Tax Question - futures io
futures io

Tax Question

Discussion in Traders Hideout

    1. trending_up 109 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Welcome to futures io: the largest futures trading community on the planet, with well over 150,000 members
  • Genuine reviews from real traders, not fake reviews from stealth vendors
  • Quality education from leading professional traders
  • We are a friendly, helpful, and positive community
  • We do not tolerate rude behavior, trolling, or vendors advertising in posts
  • We are here to help, just let us know what you need
You'll need to register in order to view the content of the threads and start contributing to our community.  It's free and simple.

-- Big Mike, Site Administrator

(If you already have an account, login at the top of the page)

Search this Thread

Tax Question

(login for full post details)
  #1 (permalink)
New York City, NY
Posts: 1 since May 2021
Thanks: 0 given, 0 received

Tax Question -- See, sorry couldn't post link.

The Taxation of Capital Gains of Nonresident Alien Students, Scholars and Employees of Foreign Governments

The capital gains income of:

nonresident alien students,
and employees of foreign governments and international organizations may be taxed in a different way than the capital gains income of other nonresident aliens.
The following discussion assumes that the capital gains in question are not effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States.

Most foreign students, foreign scholars, and alien employees of foreign governments and of international organizations in the United States are considered to be "exempt individuals." That is, they are exempt for extended periods of time from counting days of presence in the United States for the purposes of determining whether they are resident aliens of the United States.

Thus, most foreign students, foreign scholars, and the alien employees of foreign governments and of international organizations in the United States remain nonresident aliens in the United States for extended periods of time.

A flat tax of 30 percent was imposed on U.S. source capital gains in the hands of nonresident alien individuals physically present in the United States for 183 days or more during the taxable year. This 183-day rule bears no relation to the 183-day rule under the substantial presence test of IRC section 7701(b)(3).

For example, a foreign diplomat, consular officer, or other nonresident alien employee of a foreign government, or nonresident alien employee of an international organization, who is visiting the United States in A or G nonimmigrant status for a period longer than 183 days in a calendar year would be subject to the 30 percent tax on his/her U.S. source capital gains - even if he/she continues to be a nonresident alien per the “exempt individual” rules under the substantial presence test. The same rule applies to a foreign student or scholar visiting the United States in F, J, M, or Q nonimmigrant status whose presence in the United States equals or exceeds 183 days in any calendar year.

Gain or loss from the sale or exchange of personal property generally has its source in the United States if the alien has a tax home in the United States. The key factor in determining if an individual is a U.S. resident for purposes of the sourcing of capital gains is whether the alien's "tax home" has shifted to the United States. If an alien does not have a tax home in the United States, then the alien’s U.S. source capital gains would be treated as foreign-source and thus nontaxable.

In general, under the "tax home" rules, a person who is away (or who intends to be away) from his tax home for longer than 1 year has shifted tax homes to his new location upon his arrival in that new location. See Chapter 1 of Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.

Thus, under this rule, most foreign students and scholars and most alien employees of foreign governments and of international organizations have shifted tax homes to the United States on the day of their arrival in the United States - unless the particular program or employment which brings them to the United States clearly terminates in less than one year and they have no intention to remain in the United States after the termination of such program or employment.

Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on futures io?
Interactive Brokers is now officially available at Tradi …
Williams Fractal (NT8) indicator - Alert function implem …
MTF Moving Average Indicator for nt8?
The Elite Circle
Help with Scale In ATM strategy
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on futures io
Most Funding Firms are a Scam
68 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
19 thanks
Want your NinjaTrader indicator created, free?
13 thanks
Trading Plan
9 thanks
Selling Options on Futures?
9 thanks
(login for full post details)
  #2 (permalink)
Site Moderator
Sarasota FL
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
bobwest's Avatar
Posts: 7,349 since Jan 2013
Thanks: 53,755 given, 24,429 received

NK2021 View Post
Tax Question -- See, sorry couldn't post link.

Hi @NK2021,

I have moved your post from the "Introduce yourself here" section, which should only be for introductions, the the generic "Traders Hideout" section. You will need to make your posts in areas that are somewhat related to the subject of the post, if possible, but not in the section that is for initial introductions.

Also, can you tell us what your question is? It looks like you have just copied and pasted in some text from the IRS website, but it is not clear what question you are asking about it.


When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Reply With Quote

futures io Trading Community Traders Hideout > Tax Question

Last Updated on May 1, 2022

Upcoming Webinars and Events

NinjaTrader Indicator Challenge!


Copyright © 2022 by futures io, s.a., Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada),
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice.
There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
no new posts