An easy way to correct floor pivots with NinjaTrader 7!
You do not want to look up the settlement price? You don't care about the session times? You are not aware that there are two-day-sessions with a common settlement date? But you want to display the correct floor pivots, Camarilla pivots, Fibonacci pivots or Woodie's pivots?
Kinetick daily datafeed comes free of charge and has about two and a half years of daily futures contracts data.
The data is high quality and is identical with the high, low and settlement price as shown on the website of the exchange.
So if you use Zenfire (no daily data) or Interactive Brokers (bad daily data, or missing daily data depending on your time zone), or any other data provider, who delivers the daily close and not the daily settlement price, just scrap all your daily data.
3 steps to get the correct pivots
(1) When starting NinjaTrader 7 in the morning, first connect to Kinetick and update all daily data via the Historical Data Manager. Takes a few seconds. Then disconnect. Now you have a clean daily data base with the correct settlement prices.
(2) Then connect to your usual data provider. The correct daily data sits already in your database and will not be overwritten, unless you start a reload on purpose.
(3) You can now access the daily data for pivots via the DailyBars option. The SessionPivots indicator will also display two-day-session pivots, if you enter the holiday dates (already preconfigured for CME).
This is a huge improvement on Ninjatrader 6.5. No more fighting with bad daily data. Enjoy!
The following 14 users say Thank You to Fat Tails for this post:
First connect to Kinetick - End of Day, then second connect to Interactive Brokers or Zenfire. NinjaTrader now collects daily data from Kinetick and intraday data from your second connection. Just in case that you trade after the close and want to update the data without disconnecting from your intraday data provider.
The following 5 users say Thank You to Fat Tails for this post:
Favorite Futures: Index,Currency and Energy futures
Posts: 1,701 since Jan 2010
Thanks: 501 given,
One question when updating the Daily data as above. Do I have to have the Daily charts of each instrument open for it to update, or will it automatically update all the instruments in the instrument manager. I want to be sure I am doing it the correct way
This is always a problem, as you do not know at what time your data provider updates daily data.
The correct procedure would be
- to download daily data via the historical data manager and
- then check for all instruments that you want to trade that data has been downloaded to the data base.
Afterwards you can update your intraday charts one by one via F5.
The indicator will not by itself trigger the update. It could theoretically access the historical data base after the close, but it cannot trigger the update of daily data, as OnBarUpDate() will only update intraday data.
The following user says Thank You to Fat Tails for this post: