What do you think would be worth researching regarding the Price Action Trading?
I would like to make an academic research regarding some concepts of Price Action Trading introduced in the books of Al Brooks for my last paper at the faculty. But am so far lacking ideas and would like to hear some from more experienced Price Action traders, for example, what do you think would be worth researching regarding the PA of CL and ES futures markets?
Thank you and Best Regards!
The following user says Thank You to hachot for this post:
My feeling about price action and serious academic research is the largest issue with price action. It is usually very subjective. I am familiar with both Al Brooks and Steve Nison. In order to be able to create replicate results in price action research, you will need to quantify a large number of "contextuals". Both authors give credence to context and past price action affecting the current chart picture. I am not sure how you would be able to deal with that.
However some of the very simple candlestick patterns and trend lines can be quantified. For example a doji or a trend line based on the linear regression of highs/lows over the past n bars. Will your work replicate their books, probably not exactly. But based on my own quantitative research based on these types of books. Usually the result comes up lacking, then the price action followers just say that context was missing, in order to justify the negative expected value.
I do not think the number or authors of any price action books matters especially regarding this type of research. It has more to do with how to quantify and create a repeatable algorithm to generate trades to be analysed. 10% of this research would be finding what pattern you wanted to dissect or hypothesis you wanted to test. the other 90% would be building the frame work, programming an algorithm to identify these phenomenon then creating a back testing engine that would simulate the trade results for you.
The following 2 users say Thank You to treydog999 for this post: