1) should i be concerned about security issues or is visual studio secure enough on it's own by sending requests, sorry if that's a simple question just starting from scratch or less than scratch
2) can you just spout off some of the things I should consider so that i don't end up with a million files or errors from existing files, should I just figure out how to have it check if file exists and if so replace, if not create, or should I figure out how to add to an existing file or what?
3) Is it possible and convenient or uncomplicated to use a dde link as the final entry so that everything is current, example , would it be simple to use a dde link directly in a form component like a textbox or something or is it complicated and best left in excel?
4) about the csv or other text files should I have them saved as excel files or work directly with text or access or what? And should each file be separate book or just pages?
Thanks again, if you have the time, still in thinking stage
wanted to do this for a long time but it seemed like seeking answers brought more questions , now that I know which avenue to take I think I can figure it out pretty well, just want to plan ahead a bit
1. depends on what do you mean by security.
2. normally to write data i use the System.IO.StreamWriter, it has multiple constuctors, one which overwrites existing file or appends to an existing file etc. Just have a peep on that.
3. .Net natively dosent supports DDE (obsolate technology). But there are library which does (NDDE). but dde is more like linking a file and get update in rt, not for if you want to write some file etc.
4. csv is the best option. just make sure the separator is a comma, and the file extension is .csv. for excel there is a completely different namespace fully configurable as you like.
well I pretty much found everything that I would need that can be downloaded as files from the site I used in the example and wsj and barchart accept that I think wsj uses different names not certain , I started a little bit today and was able to have a file downloaded no errors so I guess it's a good start...this is what I came up with??
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim fileExists As Boolean
fileExists = My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists("I:\Excel Documents DB1\test.csv")
If fileExists = True Then
My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile("I:\Excel Documents DB1\test.csv", FileIO.UIOption.OnlyErrorDialogs, FileIO.RecycleOption.SendToRecycleBin)