NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 355,973 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

djkiwi View Post
To run Ninjatrader

Quad core PC with 8 gb of RAM
Windows 64 bit.

My broker is TT-based, and it's my understanding that TT's own implementation is 32 bit, thus NT does not support 64 bit for TT, thus I must run NT in 32-bit mode, thus a 64 bit OS does no good in this case (even though I do have win7 64bit)

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
fred1
Davao philippines

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 19

i can trade easily and comfortably without the ninjatrader but i would never want to live without ib.
the nt cannot even do trail stop orders. in tws i can do trail stop orders or trail limit orders or any kind of other professional orders to enter or to exit a trade.

the 32-bit limitation with tt was another nuissance.

@fourtywinks: i still think that qst is great but i will not use it because it turns out that it is not free. they want to charge me 299 per month. it took them five days to activate the solution and i only learned from the settings, noone told me so, neither the broker nor qst. service at qst is not existent.

meanwhile i have found a superior professional or at semipro trading solution that does not cost me a monthly fee.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

fred1 View Post
i still think that qst is great but i will not use it because it turns out that it is not free. they want to charge me 299 per month.

I can understand not wanting to use software if you think it is not any good. But not wanting to use it when you think it is great is puzzling. You have listed yourself as a "Master" trader, why would price be any kind of a reason to not use a great tool? And emphasis on wanting something to be free is even more puzzling.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

josh View Post
My broker is TT-based, and it's my understanding that TT's own implementation is 32 bit, thus NT does not support 64 bit for TT, thus I must run NT in 32-bit mode, thus a 64 bit OS does no good in this case (even though I do have win7 64bit)

x64 is really only ever going to be useful when backtesting huge amounts of data. So just fire up NT7 x64 when backtesting, which doesn't need a TT connection, and keep the 32-bit NT7 for live trading.

I would hope that virtually every workstation sold today has far more than 4GB of memory, which is the 32-bit OS limit. So every machine out there should be running x64 these days. Memory is dirt cheap right now.

Mike

Thanked by:
fred1
Davao philippines

Big Mike View Post
I can understand not wanting to use software if you think it is not any good. But not wanting to use it when you think it is great is puzzling. You have listed yourself as a "Master" trader, why would price be any kind of a reason to not use a great tool? And emphasis on wanting something to be free is even more puzzling.

Mike

software is free.
why do you pay for something that you can get for free? it is mindblowing

fred1
Davao philippines

Big Mike View Post
x64 is really only ever going to be useful when backtesting huge amounts of data. So just fire up NT7 x64 when backtesting, which doesn't need a TT connection, and keep the 32-bit NT7 for live trading.

Mike

really? from where do you have this information?

ninjatrader support has a different answer and he is not talking about backtesting:
Data feed lagging on [AUTOLINK]ninja trader[/AUTOLINK] platform [Archive] - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

NinjaTrader_AdamP
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Prince,

Thanks for your note.

It appears that you are running NinjaTrader 32-bit. A limitation of the Microsoft .NET framework for 32-bit applications is that it will only have access to a fraction of your RAM, so while you have 8 gigabytes, it will only have access to approximately 1.25 GB of that. I would suggest using 64-bit NinjaTrader. It should be available in your start menu where you regularly click to start NinjaTrader, except it will say "NinjaTrader (64-bit).

Additionally, though you may have not very many processes running in the background, it is possible that some process is routinely causing your computer to lag. It would be a good idea to compare the difference between what processes you are running on your older PC, and what processes you are running on the newer one.

Please don't hesitate to get back to us.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

fred1 View Post
software is free.
why do you pay for something that you can get for free? it is mindblowing

Thanks for clarifying your position. Good luck running your trading business on free software and services.

fred1 View Post

I was talking about an x64 OS, which is what the post I was replying to mentioned. Yes .NET x86 has a 1.5GB limit, which can be extended to 3GB by using the LargeAddressPatch (which was posted on futures.io (formerly BMT) years ago). What I said is still true, you only need this for backtesting.

Mike

Thanked by:
fred1
Davao philippines

Big Mike View Post
Thanks for clarifying your position. Good luck running your trading business on free software and services.

I was talking about an x64 OS, which is what the post I was replying to mentioned. Yes .NET x86 has a 1.5GB limit, which can be extended to 3GB by using the LargeAddressPatch (which was posted on futures.io (formerly BMT) years ago). What I said is still true, you only need this for backtesting.

Mike

thank you for your good wishes. this is very kind of you.

with regards to the ninjatrader and dotnet at 32 bit i run many business critical applications at my laptop at the same time and i would NEVER apply the largeaddresspatch. it constrains the kernel to only 1GB and can cause some drivers and/or services to fail.

everyone is talking about a 64bit operating system. or how could anyone run the 64bit ninjatrader with a 32 bit operating system?

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

fred1 View Post
i can trade easily and comfortably without the ninjatrader but i would never want to live without ib.
the nt cannot even do trail stop orders. in tws i can do trail stop orders or trail limit orders or any kind of other professional orders to enter or to exit a trade.

the 32-bit limitation with tt was another nuissance.

@fourtywinks: i still think that qst is great but i will not use it because it turns out that it is not free. they want to charge me 299 per month. it took them five days to activate the solution and i only learned from the settings, noone told me so, neither the broker nor qst. service at qst is not existent.

meanwhile i have found a superior professional or at semipro trading solution that does not cost me a monthly fee.

@fred1: You pretend to be a master trader, but have not done your homework. NT offers trailing stops, OCO orders and whatever you like. So do not tell us that it does not support trail stops.

The 32 bit limitation of the TT API is not the fault of NinjaTrader, NinjaTrader can be used with other feeds.

If you have found a superior professional trading solution, let us know, it might be of interest to somebody else.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

fred1 View Post

ninjatrader support has a different answer and he is not talking about backtesting:
Data feed lagging on [AUTOLINK]ninja trader[/AUTOLINK] platform [Archive] - [AUTOLINK]NinjaTrader[/AUTOLINK] Support Forum

NinjaTrader_AdamP
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Prince,

Thanks for your note.

It appears that you are running NinjaTrader 32-bit. A limitation of the Microsoft .NET framework for 32-bit applications is that it will only have access to a fraction of your RAM, so while you have 8 gigabytes, it will only have access to approximately 1.25 GB of that. I would suggest using 64-bit NinjaTrader. It should be available in your start menu where you regularly click to start NinjaTrader, except it will say "NinjaTrader (64-bit).

Additionally, though you may have not very many processes running in the background, it is possible that some process is routinely causing your computer to lag. It would be a good idea to compare the difference between what processes you are running on your older PC, and what processes you are running on the newer one.

Please don't hesitate to get back to us.

I have read through that thread. The user did not even know, whether he was running a 32 or 64 bit version of NinjaTrader. The lag he found on his new machine, can have many causes. Starting with flawed indicators, false settings for the display update interval, an antivirus program, a lagging internet connection or bandwidth restrictions. If you trade CME from Kuwait, physics impose a lag and slippage.

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts