NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 360,494 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

djkiwi 
Mercer Island WA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader/Strategy Desk
Broker: Various
Trading: TF/NQ/ES/Stocks
Thanks Given: 981
Thanks Received: 1,558

andreamo View Post
Hello DJ,

I need a new trading computer and your configuration seems to be exactly what I want too. Unfortunately I have no clue about hardware. Could you kindly share your detailed configuration with me and explain me the difference of having 2 x gforce graphics cards vs. multihead video cards (which one?). I would love to follow your ideas (detailed brand and model of components) in how to get a stable and good system. I'll appreciate your answer.

andreamo

You can do much better than that now. I'd have a look at this thread that has more up to date recommendations.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

andreamo View Post
Hello DJ,

I need a new trading computer and your configuration seems to be exactly what I want too. Unfortunately I have no clue about hardware. Could you kindly share your detailed configuration with me and explain me the difference of having 2 x gforce graphics cards vs. multihead video cards (which one?). I would love to follow your ideas (detailed brand and model of components) in how to get a stable and good system. I'll appreciate your answer.

andreamo

call EddyZ

Trading Computers for Day Trading & Stock Trading, EZ Trading Computers For Sale

one of the best

learning0101 
Houston, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader,TOS,Etrade,St
Broker: NT:( tos,etrade,CS
Trading: stocks,options,futures,forex
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 3,613
Thanks Received: 222

Hi everybody, and @NinjaTrader, did not find or know a proper place to post this-so here it is:
Why is it that so many times you see someone post a problem here on futures.io (formerly BMT)(maybe not so much here) But definitely on the NT support forum and the response is to Un-install and Re-install NT?
Or go to this folder and delete, or this folder and rename.............????
The reason I am asking is (granted have not done any extensive research, regarding this) That is why I am asking those that might know.
From what little I have looked at and experienced with other platforms this is not as a regular occurrence as it is with NT.
Please do not misinterpret this post, I am not trying to rag on NT just trying to understand better. I like the platform.
By the way I am not speaking of "badly coded" indicators just platform stability, useability without having to do (in my opinion should not be required and instead should throw a red flag for developers) above mentioned tasks.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

hayday
san diego, ca

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 7

Just wanted to commiserate. I think I've decided to transition away from NT after this week. I managed to keep NT running overnight just 1 out of 4 nights this week running a very simple open to close type of strategy. In the 3 days where NT just stopped running, I lost out on 1000 ticks of profit. Of course, the one time I got it to keep running, I lost 300 ticks.

It's extremely frustrating. It just seems to be that NT is terrible at keeping itself alive. I checked data logs and they appear to be short outages at IB. As annoying as that is, NT should be able to handle it. I am almost certain that all NT options regarding restarts and restarting strategies are set appropriately, but NT either remains disconnected, or reconnects and doesn't restart the strategy, or reconnects and can't read new data. It's just ridiculous that it should be this hard to keep the thing alive.

I'm going to research the alternatives in earnest now, and will probably go with either Tradestation or Python/Panda.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,770
Thanks Received: 18,187

hayday View Post
It's extremely frustrating. It just seems to be that NT is terrible at keeping itself alive. I checked data logs and they appear to be short outages at IB. As annoying as that is, NT should be able to handle it.

I seem to recall from the NT days that it would get hung trying to connect to the data provider, and the option to disconnect would be grayed out. So, the only option was to kill it. I always thought it strange that I would not be given the option to stop trying to connect. Every now and again the workspace or some data file would just up and become corrupted, and of course the fix was to delete it and make a new one. I don't miss NT one bit, and wish I could transfer my lifetime license to someone else who actually wants it. Maybe version 8 will be better--they've been promoting it for at least 12 months now (not working on it, promoting it for that long).

Thanked by:
 leinster 
Brussels / Dublin

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: Stdev + 2
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 595

Use the twsstart client to stop disconnects and reconnects however I totally agree too many issues in it to take it seriously. However for issue u are experiencing twsstart can resolve it. Its a standard ib server nightly reboot.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanked by:
 leinster 
Brussels / Dublin

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: Stdev + 2
Thanks Given: 844
Thanks Received: 595

PS. Pythons pandas is way forward forget anything with a pleasant GUI.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

kaltrax 
TOLEDO,SPAIN

Platform: NinjaTrader,TOS,MT4
Trading: ES,TF,6E,NQ,DX,CL
Thanks Given: 681
Thanks Received: 30

Maybe you know it. but take a look at Buttontrader.com

And be careful whith overnight positions whith IB and API's. There are surprises time to time.

Good Trading

Thanked by:

ptpatrader 
Chicago, Illinois, United States

Platform: TOS, Ninja
Trading: TF/GC/ZB
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 42

Hayday,

Sorry to hear your woes - I share your sentiments and many others. I am a software craftsman by day, and I actually architect and build tools exactly like Ninja for hedge funds and other institutions. I can tell you that I have profiled Ninja and benchmarked it on my workstation at home and it is poorly put together - on the outside it looks like its all coming together but under the hood its a different story. I would advise anyone to look for an alternative.

For me this week I have had crashes, deadlocks, memory problems and execution problems, chart drawing problems and performance problems. I am trialing it and have given it the best go that I can, but when I build these systems and I see what they are doing, it is frustrating. We should expect better, and get better.

I saw somewhere this year a response from Ninja Support stating they had no intention to handle OCO orders at the server in the foreseeable future....that speaks volumes.

With only a small trial period it seems profoundly obvious Ninja is not a product built by traders for traders, and thus they clearly do not know how to appraise features and their importance....

For example if your Ninja crashes, it doesnt always log the crash in the trace files and so its not possible to fix the problem or even talk to support about it - they come back stating no errors mate.

For example when using the DOM you might need some options to be close at hand in the DOM window itself, like AutoSend for orders (for a confirm). Instead you have to hunt around for it....suggests none of the product managers have ever traded with a DOM.

For example if the application crashes (it will!) when it comes back up it can take an age. Were I the architect of this, a massive immutable non-functional would be to have the shortest bootstrap possible - needing to get into the market fast , to take a trade or to manage a trade is so important, and of course only a trader would know that.

For example, and this to me is the worst, you have to become ambidextrous to use the DOM properly. Clicking the bid side above market price submits a limit order and you get executed at the market. To achieve the obvious which is to place a buy stop in the market (what else would I want to be doing clicking higher than current price?), I have to remember I need to hit control and use a different mouse button. Took me four days to stop doing that after I went out and got a mouse with a middle button. It is clear that it is unclear how the dom should work to be the most helpful and most effective for its users.

MultiCharts comes together much better, the only drawback is it has no facility to share drawings across charts which is a showstopper for me.

Making the transition from the technology side into the trading side has been an interesting journey, because from a tech perspective I was always a perfectionist and whatever I put my name to had to look amazing. Having experienced X Trader and Ninja, both to me are aberrations, and I dont care how ugly the tool looks now, I just want it to be a tool that works for the trader, with the trader. I am looking at Sierra right now, but I dont know if that uses server side functionality for bracket orders (still waiting for AMP support to respond to me...its been 2 days and counting) - client-side order execution is nothing short of criminal in my view.

I am seriously thinking of building a very basic tool that does a focused job very well. If anybody is interested in such a project, do contact me.

Nick.

hayday View Post
Just wanted to commiserate. I think I've decided to transition away from NT after this week. I managed to keep NT running overnight just 1 out of 4 nights this week running a very simple open to close type of strategy. In the 3 days where NT just stopped running, I lost out on 1000 ticks of profit. Of course, the one time I got it to keep running, I lost 300 ticks.

It's extremely frustrating. It just seems to be that NT is terrible at keeping itself alive. I checked data logs and they appear to be short outages at IB. As annoying as that is, NT should be able to handle it. I am almost certain that all NT options regarding restarts and restarting strategies are set appropriately, but NT either remains disconnected, or reconnects and doesn't restart the strategy, or reconnects and can't read new data. It's just ridiculous that it should be this hard to keep the thing alive.

I'm going to research the alternatives in earnest now, and will probably go with either Tradestation or Python/Panda.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

slickiam 
Tomsk, Russia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: custom
Trading: gold
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 435

ptpatrader View Post
I am looking at Sierra right now, but I dont know if that uses server side functionality for bracket orders (still waiting for AMP support to respond to me...its been 2 days and counting) - client-side order execution is nothing short of criminal in my view.

Nick.

Server-side [AUTOLINK]OCO[/AUTOLINK] and Bracket Orders - Support Board - Sierra Chart

Scientia Libertas Prosperitas

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts