NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VantagePoint - Predicting the Market??

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one gomad with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two forgiven with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 dynoweb with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 zwentz with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bfitch with 7.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two raj1301 with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 gomad with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,308 views
    2. thumb_up 37 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 25 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

VantagePoint - Predicting the Market??

gomad 
Tirgu Mures, Romania

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Broker: ZenFire
Trading: CL, GC
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 7

Hello,

I am interested to know if there are members who are using or used VantagePoint software in their trading. It is supposed to predict the market with an accuracy of about 75-80%.

It is quite expensive - about $3,000 and before looking more into it I would love to hear more from traders who are using it.

Here is their webpage VantagePoint : Intermarket Analysis Trading Software for Futures, Forex and Stocks

Thank you
GoMad

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

It is an oldtimer of intermarket analysis. Expensive. Most people hate it, some are convinced that they have found the holy grail.

You can scan the following reviews to get an impression.

Trader Tech | Vantage Point Software | TraderTech.com reviews and ratings by Forex Peace Army

Product Review: VantagePoint Software @ Forex Factory

Trading Reviews - Software - Market Technologies | Trade2Win

You might also first read a book by Louis Mendelsohn, the creator of Vantage Point, to get a personal impression.

Amazon.com: Trend Forecasting with Intermarket Analysis: Predicting Global Markets with Technical Analysis (Trade Secrets (Marketplace Books)) (9781592803323): Mendelsohn, Louis B.: Books

Amazon.com: Forex Trading Using Intermarket Analysis (9781592802951): Louis B. Mendelsohn: Books

I would not use it, as I do not believe in holy grails. But I do not know the software, so you should rather listen to others.

Thanked by:
 gomad 
Tirgu Mures, Romania

Fat Tails,

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I really appreciate that you took the time to give me all the links. This is very helpful.

GoMad

zwentz 
Austin, TX

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Optimus Futures/Rithmic
Trading: Futures [ZB]
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 22

I haven't used VantagePoint, but my father did, then it was $5,000, and it's basically a trend follower. But the trend is really, really long. So you better hope you have some capital to spare after shelling out $3k for this, because you're going to need to be able to take a lot of drawdown and stick with a trade for a long time.

If you have any questions about NinjaTerminal please send me a Private Message.
Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

zwentz View Post
I haven't used VantagePoint, but my father did, then it was $5,000, and it's basically a trend follower. But the trend is really, really long. So you better hope you have some capital to spare after shelling out $3k for this, because you're going to need to be able to take a lot of drawdown and stick with a trade for a long time.

Swing trading; Right ?

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 zwentz 
Austin, TX

Broker: Optimus Futures/Rithmic
Trading: Futures [ZB]
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 22

lolu View Post
Swing trading; Right ?

Lolu

Yes. But very long swings haha.

If you have any questions about NinjaTerminal please send me a Private Message.
bfitch
Portland, Oregon, USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 15

In the case of VantagePoint, the claim (which is no doubt correct but meaningless and deceiving) is that the "predicted neural index" can predict with an average accuracy of 78.2% whether the 3-day SMA of typical price (composite of the high, low, and close) two trading days in the future will be higher or lower than the current 3-day SMA of typical price. They use paid consultants to back this up and to imply that it's a fabulous feat. It's not.

The current 3-day SMA of typical price comprises nine data points (three days' worth of high, low, and close), and eight of those data points are in the past. So there's information right now that, using no neural networks or indicators of any kind, is sufficient to predict whether the 3-day SMA of typical price two days in the future will be higher or lower than the current value. That information is the current close--where it is in relation to the current 3-day SMA of typical price plus where it is in relation to today's typical price (which will become one-third of the 3-day SMA of typical price two days in the future).

I wrote a program that predicts the future 3-day SMA of typical price by assuming that the next two days will each have a typical price equal to today's close (which, on average, is true over any large sample). This produced an average accuracy of (drum roll please) 78.27% when applied to ten years' of data for seven random high-volume stocks and seven random futures markets. This result is precisely as useful as being able to predict whether the close two days from now will be higher or lower than today's close with an accuracy of 50%.

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,348

bfitch View Post
In the case of VantagePoint, the claim (which is no doubt correct but meaningless and deceiving) is that the "predicted neural index" can predict with an average accuracy of 78.2% whether the 3-day SMA of typical price (composite of the high, low, and close) two trading days in the future will be higher or lower than the current 3-day SMA of typical price. They use paid consultants to back this up and to imply that it's a fabulous feat. It's not.

The current 3-day SMA of typical price comprises nine data points (three days' worth of high, low, and close), and eight of those data points are in the past. So there's information right now that, using no neural networks or indicators of any kind, is sufficient to predict whether the 3-day SMA of typical price two days in the future will be higher or lower than the current value. That information is the current close--where it is in relation to the current 3-day SMA of typical price plus where it is in relation to today's typical price (which will become one-third of the 3-day SMA of typical price two days in the future).

I wrote a program that predicts the future 3-day SMA of typical price by assuming that the next two days will each have a typical price equal to today's close (which, on average, is true over any large sample). This produced an average accuracy of (drum roll please) 78.27% when applied to ten years' of data for seven random high-volume stocks and seven random futures markets. This result is precisely as useful as being able to predict whether the close two days from now will be higher or lower than today's close with an accuracy of 50%.

How much to subscribe to your room ....

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
 gomad 
Tirgu Mures, Romania

bfitch View Post

Hi bfitch,

Thank you very much for your explanations. It is good to understand more about what the program actually does.

Is the program you wrote available?

gomad

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 25, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts