NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

AttitudeTrader Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AttitudeTrader with 40 posts (41 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Deucalion with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Poocher with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AttitudeTrader with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Poocher with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,714 views
    2. thumb_up 53 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 49 posts
    2. attach_file 36 attachments

Search this Thread

AttitudeTrader Trading Journal

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, T4
Broker: IQFeed
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 6,868
Thanks Received: 869

Hey Mike. Yeah, it's the InfinityAT (TransAct) DOM. I've attached a screenshot of the whole DOM.

"Is it hard? Not if you have the right attitude. It's having the right attitude that's hard." - Robert Pirsig
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InfinityAT_DOM.png
Views:	227
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	49340  
Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

SIM: +39 ticks, +$180.00, 3 trades, 3 cntrcts

Finishing early. Have to deal with other work stuff.

"Is it hard? Not if you have the right attitude. It's having the right attitude that's hard." - Robert Pirsig
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011_09_15_Chart_3.png
Views:	222
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	49356   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_09_15_DOM.PNG
Views:	212
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	49357  

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

SIM: -46 ticks, -$255.00, 5 trades, 5 cntrcts

Horrible trading today. Hit daily loss limit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011_09_16_Chart_2.png
Views:	238
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	49455  

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

AttitudeTrader View Post
Horrible trading today.

What went wrong?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Big Mike View Post
What went wrong?

Mike

My anticipation of the gap close immediately after the open (which did eventually occur) clouded my vision of what was actually occurring: a slow grind upward.

Price certainly could have moved down to close the gap, but the real error was in my execution. My best trades are when I wait for a pullback to one of my predefined s/r levels with entry in the direction of the current trend. Yesterday (Friday) I was chasing the market on the first three trades, not wanting to miss the gap-close move. Had I waited for a pullback, I would most likely have taken one loser rather than three, and seen that the trend was not down at the moment.

The fourth trade was marginal as it was more of a chasing entry as well, but the biggest error here was not following my typical method when price touches my target. Usually I will bring my stop in tight when my target is hit but not filled – I didn't do that here.

The fifth trade was a pullback entry, but it wasn't a good trade to make because price charged up to take out the high of the day and ORH, and I'm finding that taking a pullback after this kind of action is usually not a good idea. A trading friend says the best entries are at the “edges,” and I was entering in the opposite direction of where price was most likely headed after testing/piercing that upper “edge.”

Thanks for prompting me to review Friday's trading Mike. Have a good weekend.

Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

I've found that keeping weekly stats over a period of time not only gives me a much clearer picture of my results/progress than does my memory, but also has had a profound positive-reinforcement effect by showing me that even with my current mediocre trading, I am actually profitable (albeit not consistently) on a week-to-week basis right now.

There are more things that these stats can tell me. For instance I can clearly see that, for me right now, more trades in a week does not necessarily mean more profits...

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/4cerr4.png[/img]

Thanked by:

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

AttitudeTrader View Post
I've found that keeping weekly stats over a period of time not only gives me a much clearer picture of my results/progress than does my memory, but also has had a profound positive-reinforcement effect by showing me that even with my current mediocre trading, I am actually profitable (albeit not consistently) on a week-to-week basis right now.

There are more things that these stats can tell me. For instance I can clearly see that, for me right now, more trades in a week does not necessarily mean more profits...

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/4cerr4.png[/img]

Self - realization is one of the most underestimated forces in any endeavour, a million people can tell you a million wise things. But it only makes sense when you do it yourself. Didn't Yoda say that? or Jordan?

There is no thinking, do or do not. Good luck. And hey, I just noticed you are in Dallas, am in Frisco visiting folks down here.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,603

AttitudeTrader View Post
My anticipation of the gap close immediately after the open (which did eventually occur) clouded my vision of what was actually occurring: a slow grind upward.

OK - next question

What will you do in the future to avoid this "horrible trading".

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Deucalion View Post
Self - realization is one of the most underestimated forces in any endeavour, a million people can tell you a million wise things. But it only makes sense when you do it yourself. Didn't Yoda say that? or Jordan?

There is no thinking, do or do not. Good luck. And hey, I just noticed you are in Dallas, am in Frisco visiting folks down here.

Big D is in Big D! Small world. I think Big Mike may be right around the corner from you too.

Thanks for the input, and good to hear from you. Enjoy the cool weather we're having here now!

AttitudeTrader 
Dallas, TX, USA

Big Mike View Post
OK - next question

What will you do in the future to avoid this "horrible trading".

Mike

As I go through and review the screenshots I take of my charts during the day, I see:
  1. My best trades are pullbacks in a trend. When I am able to take them at an appropriate s/r level they provide minimal MAE and are generally the quickest trades from entry to exit.
  2. My better pullback trades are when the pullback retraces a significant portion of the previous move (e.g., 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of the previous move) to reach a significant s/r level, rather than some of the more shallow “pullbacks” (which are technically not really pullbacks) I've been taking.
  3. What I refer to as “breakout” (up), and “breakdown” (down) trades can be profitable, but on average they are a “sucker's bet” for me and end up costing me more than they're worth - I would do well to avoid them. Additionally, the poorer entry price causes me to reach for more distant targets in order to make a profit, and as a result put me in a position of holding for improbable exit levels.
  4. The shallow pullbacks and breakout/breakdown trades are the result of impatience and fear of missing out on a move, nothing more. They don't hold any statistical value for me; they're just the result of not remembering that there will be better opportunities if I will wait for them.
Realizing these things, my priorites/tasks moving forward should be:
  1. If I'm unsure of the current trend or current potential direction of the market, stay out. Guessing or “taking a shot” is costly.
  2. While gap closes and other potential areas of attraction for the market (e.g., NPOC's, previous high/low, overnight high/low, etc.) can be useful in determining “what the market is trying to do,” I still have to trade “what the market is doing right now,” trade within my risk parameters, and know where my target/exit is for the current trade. In other words, just because there is an unfilled gap near current price, that is not a good reason to take a low probability trade (breakout/breakdown) to try not to “miss the move.” I need to wait for price to act in a way that I can recognize or stay out.
  3. Considering my current style/method of trading, if my target level does not provide me with at least 1:1 risk/reward then it's probably not a trade I should take. This could even be a filter of sorts because it shows me that price is probably choppy at the moment anyway.
  4. If price doesn't appear to have a particular trend for the day, then only enter at the “edges.”
  5. Understand that I will miss moves because price didn't get to my entry level, but that's ok, there will be another one.
That's it for the moment. I will do this same kind of review at the end of next week to see what else I've learned and how I've applied what I've outlined here.

Sincere thanks to you again Mike for prompting me to take the time to look more closely at what I'm doing here. It's something that I know to do, that I have on my list of things to do, but one that I spend an embarrassingly small amount of my time on.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 23, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts