NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Ninja 6.5 showing different data than 7

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one spinnybobo with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 cory with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,969 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Ninja 6.5 showing different data than 7

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

spinnybobo View Post
Hi Fat Tails,

just to be sure, are we talking about a single month contract of crude oil like April or May---or are we talking about making continuous contracts? Merging April and May together?
I guess I am getting confused with the word Merge and offset----it sounds like trying to make a continuous contract.

I am not trying to make continuous contracts. my whole thing is that the 1 min data on the May crude contract for Ninja 7 is giving different historical values than Ninja 6.5(only before 03/18/11. anything after is same and real time is same) Ninja 6.5 is wrong.

I talked to Mirus and they were stumped. Told me just to use Ninja 7. Right now, I am using Ninja 7 just for charting.
This has to be a problem with the data server for Ninja 6.5 because I cannot imagine that all the market profile peoples data was off all these years whenever a contract rolls over---especially true for people not experts with Ninja

maybe we are talking about the same thing and I am not understanding.
thanks
Spencer

Sorry, if I was not clear.

You will get the same data displayed with NinjaTrader 6.5 and NinjaTrader 7.0 if you use single month contracts. For NT 6.5, single month contracts will always be displayed, unless you manually merge prior months into your current contract. For NT 7.0 you need to select "DoNotMerge" under Options -> Data and make sure that Global Merge Policy is selected under instrument settings.

Continuous contracts and merge backadjusted contracts are not the same!

MergeBackAdjusted Contracts

1st step: You determine the rollover date. 2nd step: You compare the settlement prices on the day prior to rollover for the new and old front month contract and calculate the offset, which is offset = settlement new - settlement old. 3rd step: You add the offset to all prices of your old front month contract until the end of the session prior to rollover day. 4th step: You substitute all data of the new contract month prior to the end of this session with the artificial data series.

NinjaTrader will do this automatically, if you enter the rollover date and make sure that your daily data contains the settlement prices.

It is important to know that you now have an artificial data series until rollover date and the real data afterwards.

The MergeBackAdjusted contract should be used for backtesting intraday strategies, as it takes correctly into account the rollover cost. It also should be used for establishing Fibonacci ratios.

Continuous Contracts

Continuous Contracts are not built in the same way. Typically the contracts are built by adding two or more weighted data series. This preserves absolute price levels, but will distort relative swing sizes and not take into acount rolling cost. In NinjaTrader you can load continuous contracts via ##-## (for example ES ##-##), if supported by your data provider. A continuous contract has no contract months, and there are hundreds of different ways to calculate it. The actual formula is chosen by your data provider. You cannot build a continuous contract with NinjaTrader.

Differences

-> You cannot backtest on a continuous contract, as it distorts rollover cost.
-> If you go back 10 years, the continuous contract will still display price more or less correctly.
-> If you go back 10 years, the mergebackadjusted contract may well have moved into negative territory.

So continuous contracts should only be used by investors or long term positions traders, who know about that rollover cost problem.

You cannot have both with futures, prices that are near-correct on an absolute scale, and swings that are non-distorted. Each type of contract has its applications.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Last Updated on March 25, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts