NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Some highly recommended books

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 49 posts (98 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 37 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 wh with 13 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 13 posts (31 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cunparis with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 349,587 views
    2. thumb_up 727 thanks given
    3. group 264 followers
    1. forum 527 posts
    2. attach_file 47 attachments

Search this Thread

Some highly recommended books

scamen
on the web mostly

Thanks Given: 80
Thanks Received: 3

for the uninitiated its better to start with auction theory books like Steidlmayer on Markets Amazon.com: Steidlmayer on Markets: Trading with Market Profile, 2nd Edition (9780471215561): J. Peter Steidlmayer, Steven B. Hawkins, Peter Steidlmayer, Steve Hawkins: Books before moving on to other stuffs.By the way Al Brooks book "Reading Price Charts Bar By Bar" is a good one for sure but a little advanced for the beginner.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

Fat Tails View Post
To start with: All books are definitely worth reading and can be considered as classics.

Market Wizards

"Market Wizards" and "New Market Wizards" by Jack Schwager are both excellent books that give an overview of the biographies and trading methods of some of the top traders. Most astonishing is how different these guys and their methods are. Absolutely recommended reading. I have read the books twice.

However, these are not books on psychology.

Trading in the Zone

In my opinion the books "The Daily Trading Coach" and "Enhancing Trader Performance" by Brett Steenbarger and the books "The Disciplined Trader" and "Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas are amongst the best books that have ever been written on trading psychology.

So if you want to buy books on trading psychology, these are the books you are looking for. Fight the demons that prevent you from following your rules.

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

This is a wonderful book written in 1923, something to read during a week-end, but again it is not a book on trading psychology.

Thanks... I always value your info....

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

tderrick View Post
I just picked up the Al Brooks book, "Reading Price Charts Bar By Bar". I think that will keep me busy for a while
studying the technical side of things.

I would like a book, also, for my mind.

What would be the better psychology book...

"Market Wizards" by Jack Schwager or...

"Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas or...

"Reminiscences Of A Stock Operator" by Edwin LeFevre

I eventually will have all of the above, but I need a good book for my trading mind now...

tia

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

BTW, I did not care for Trading in the Zone but many do. Market Wizards, and Market Wizards II, and Reminiscences of a Stock Operator are all must-reads.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

Big Mike View Post
BTW, I did not care for Trading in the Zone but many do. Market Wizards, and Market Wizards II, and Reminiscences of a Stock Operator are all must-reads.

You know I was going to say the same thing but then I thought it must just be me. I didn't get much out of Trading in the Zone. Maybe I need to read it again. I saw Douglas on some WiseTrade TV and it really turned me off that he'd be associated with them. Plus he wasn't impressive. I've traded in the zone when everything goes well and I trade off intuition. IMHO it comes with lots of practice, not from reading a book. I could write about it but it's something someone has to experience. People can experience it in plenty ways, not just in trading. Giving a presentation to a large group, performing in a concert, playing a video game, playing in a sports game, etc. Sometimes I get into the zone just playing piano. I can play without making any mistakes and everything goes well. Then I snap out of it, and I start questioning what I'm playing and wondering which finger goes well and then the song falls apart. I play much better when I don't think and just play. And trading is similar.

And the comment about Market Wizards & the Reminiscences of a Stock Operator not being about psychology.. I think there is a lot of psychology in those books. It's been at least a year since I've read them, 2 years for Market Wizards. I think I'll read them again before reading any "new" books on trading.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

cunparis View Post
And the comment about Market Wizards & the Reminiscences of a Stock Operator not being about psychology.. I think there is a lot of psychology in those books.

Agreed, they can have profound impact on how you view the market. There are many profound implications on strategy and psychology in the books. It is true, they are good entertaining stories as well, but there are so many profound sentences and statements in the books, it's just.. well... profound!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Snoop 
Toronto, Ontario

Platform: NinjaTrader, Multicharts
Broker: IB, IQfeed
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 165

There are actually 3 Market Wizard books:
Market Wizards - first printed in 1989
New Market Wizards - 1992
Stock Market Wizards - 2001

This thread had me looking at them again and I've decided to re-read them (it's been so long I don't remember them!)
Has anyone come across the first one in digital format? Amazon only has #2 and #3 in kindle format.

Big Mike View Post
Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

Mike

Locust 
Germany

Platform: Quanthouse, Multicharts
Broker: IB / IQ / EBS-ETS
Trading: FDAX, FGBL, FGBM, CL, ES
Thanks Given: 40
Thanks Received: 114

Even though completely non trading related.

From my point of view,
a book every trader should have read is DOSTOEVSKY, "THE GAMBLER".

It gives you a compelling inside in the mind of a gambler and serves as perfect warning to what your trading
and emotions while your trading should not be like.

Locust

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

As Dostoyevsky's book this one also deals with the risk of ruin, albeit in a slightly different fashion. Recommended read:

Ralph Vince: The Handbook of Portfolio Mathematics

xTrader1 
Mediterrenian

Platform: ninja
Broker: MBT
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

It opened my eyes, showing the big players traders have no inherent advantage, except of the market manipulation for a very limited time.

Amazon.com: The Psychology of the Foreign Exchange Market (Wiley Trading) (9780470844069): Thomas Oberlechner: Books

Thanked by:

martifc 
Clerkenwell, London

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 26

Big Mike View Post
Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

Mike

I found Trading In The Zone to be excellent for the psychological aspects of trading (the importance of truly thinking in probabilities and not just paying lip service to it). However it is repetitive and contains lots of needless waffle. I condensed the book into 6 pages of A4 which I sometimes re-read.

I don't much care for technical trading books. The Market Wizards books are great. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (annotated edition very helpful for those aged under 100) is next. I'm gonna get Pit Bull on the strength of recommendations here. Beat The Forex Dealer also sounds like it might be a good read.

Last Updated on October 12, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts