NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Growing A Small account - Have to start somewhere

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cgleckman with 19 posts (16 thanks)
    2. looks_two Eric j with 2 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Mickey Caine with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Eric j with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Ryanb with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Mickey Caine with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cgleckman with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,553 views
    2. thumb_up 28 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 26 posts
    2. attach_file 8 attachments

Search this Thread

Growing A Small account - Have to start somewhere

Ryanb 
Netherlands

Experience: Advanced
Platform: none
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 117
Thanks Received: 358

It's nice to see that there are more young traders around!

Stick to one method that makes sense to you and don't give up!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
cgleckman
Northridge, California

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 18

Woke up this morning and went to check my charts. Little annoyed that my EUR trade went positive over night while I was sleeping, but thats just how it is. My second EUR/USD trade triggered over night as well and is currently down 23 pips, while my original trade is only up 17. So not a huge deal and now its just a waiting game to see what happens.

I realized this morning that my broker does not allow me to see the trades seperatly and thus I cant set two different stop losses. This bothers me because now I have double my normal amount of risk riding on a combined trade. However I have strong hopes for this EUR/USD trade and I hope it pans out.

After such an amazing day yesterday, I would hate to watch some of the profits wither away. I think it will do nothing but put a little hole in my confidence bubble.

The GBP is no longer showing signs of a down trend and is currently looking a bit to shaky for me to want to trade it.

Current Trades Active: EUR/USD | EUR/USD (2nd)

Current Trades Pending: GBP/USD

Currently Watching: EUR/JPY (Possibly a long entry starting to form) | NZD/USD (Possibly Short entry reforming)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EUR-USD 17-Mar-11.png
Views:	192
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	34142  
Thanked by:
cgleckman
Northridge, California

So I dont even know what to say to myself. I struggled for the last 5 months with trading. I lost 200 dollars total, and for me thats alot since im 21 years old and in college, but now its all coming together. This is my second day of this journal with a new system and I cant believe how well its going. I am currently up 432 pips. I am sorry I didnt update this journal earlier with my thoughts on possible trades but I am going to kind of go over it now.

I saw the market pretty much just swing about all day and then it began to move. I saw the EUR/JPY trade form just how I wanted, after waiting about a day, watching it. I placed a trade (attached) and it shot up 50 pips, I took 50% profit and have 50% running. I also saw (which I wasnt expecting) and AUD/USD trade form. I put in an order 10 pips above finishing candle and it went up about 13 pips and is currently down about 10 pips. No big deal.

I trade on the 1h chart and a little retracement is expected. Now onto the EUR/USD trade which I have been in for a while now and the second trade has triggered. It went up 50 then 70 pips before I could blink, and I took out 1/4 of the trade because I have 2 different trades. +71 pips. This trade is currently still up ~50 pips.

I cant even describe the emotions I feel from the success of the trading style I have spent so much time working on. I am not trying to brag with this journal, although it may sound like it. But I said I would be 100% honest no matter what with this journal and well it so happened to be all positive. I don't doubt that trades will go against me at some point and currently AUD is against me.

I still will post 100% truths, positive or negative. Anyway I am currently watching the charts and I will post one more entry tonight before I go to sleep.

On a side note, I have taken off my GBP/USD sell trade and put on a buy.

Good luck to all traders!

Current Trades Active: EUR/USD (50%) | EUR/USD (2nd) (100%) | AUD/USD (50%) | EUR/JPY (50%)

Current Trades Pending: GBP/USD (buy not sell)

Currently Watching: None

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EUR-JPY 17-MAR-11.png
Views:	204
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	34207   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUD-USD 17-Mar-11.png
Views:	178
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	34208  
Thanked by:
cgleckman
Northridge, California

Ryanb View Post
It's nice to see that there are more young traders around!

Stick to one method that makes sense to you and don't give up!

Thats the plan!

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

cgleckman View Post
.....but now its all coming together. This is my second day of this journal with a new system and I cant believe how well its going. I am currently up 432 pips. ...

Great job!

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
cgleckman
Northridge, California

Well its time to go to sleep. Last thoughts are that I had a great last 2 days.. (663 pips). - i only post the number so I can refer back to it... However the EUR trade I am still in is just about at break even.. I took 50% already so I can afford to let it run. Moved my stop a little tighter from where it was originally.

I got my 100 pip target on EUR/JPY and it closed out. I also took out my first EUR trade at 70 pips because I felt as if it wasn't going to go higher. Also I was a bit uncomfortable at the fact that I had twice my normal amount running due to the fact that both the first and second trades had triggered. I was not willing to risk the possible reversal and lose double.

Its weird how much I feel its helping me to just be able to journal about all of this. Its kind of a reality check and it lets you see in writing what you are feeling.. So thank you Mike for hosting this forum!

Anyway, I will let the AUD trade keep running, it was only ever up 40 pips and well since its medium to long term I wasnt watching at the time. Anyway I moved the stop slightly closer and will let the trade run until morning and reevaluate it then. Still have limit at +100 pips.

I have to point out that I did not take out 50% of the AUD like i posted last, I was thinking of the wrong trade... AUD is still at 100% of original entry per pip.

I am starting to feel that I am using my 1h medium/long term trade strategy as more of a scalping.. taking out 50% after only an hour to a couple of hours and normally out of trades within a few hours... I feel maybe I am still uncomfortable because its a new style and thus I dont feel 100% confident in it. But its working well and its building my confidence. I know if i stick to my general rules for entry and exit that the system will work as well as over time being more comfortable with letting it run.

This last paragraph is bolded only because I want to be able to look back and see that, basically so it catches my eye. Anyway I am now retiring for the night, good night futures.io (formerly BMT) and good trading to everyone.

Current Trades Active: EUR/USD(50%) | AUD/USD(100%)

Current Trades Pending: GBP/USD (buy not sell) - still have entry in, not triggered yet

Currently Watching: None (back of my eye lids?)

Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja trader
Thanks Given: 5,258
Thanks Received: 3,120

nice job

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
cgleckman
Northridge, California

What an interesting morning. I woke up at 8 PST to find that my EUR trade was up 90 pips and my aud trade was down 10. I decided to move my stop up on both (EUR 10 pips below entry and AUD 42 pips below entry (a resistance had formed just above there). Anyway I was still exhausted since last night was St. Patty's day so I went back to sleep until now. I woke up to the Eur trade being up 140 pips, AUD up 30 and the gbp had triggered and was up 30.

I took out the EUR trade because it was above my target and I have to leave for the rest of the day. I didnt want to let a trade run into the weekend and not be able to monitor it today. I also took out 50% of the aud and then shortly after it went to 50 pips, retraced quickly, then 50 pips, retraced quickly, and on the 3rd time I just took out the trade at 50 pips.. Once again I am leaving soon and didn't want to let the trade run into the weekend.

Now the GBP trade is currently up 30 pips (has been up 40 today), and I have stop at entry. I took out 50% at 30 pips because I wanted to get something before I left for the day and that way I wasn't going to be thinking about it constantly. Now the worst that happens is it stops out at entry and I locked in 30 pips already.

I am going to stop trading till monday, but man what an amazing week (+945.2 pips)...

I joined futures.io (formerly BMT), my system that I have back tested is working in forward testing, and I am thoroughly enjoying trading, once again.

Good trading to all, and have a nice weekend!

Current Trades Active: GBP/USD (50%)

Current Trades Pending: None

Currently Watching: None

cgleckman
Northridge, California

Ah, its monday. A fresh trading week, and alot to look forward to!

So it looks like my GBP trade was stopped out at entry. Not a big deal but it did worry me a little because I left it on over the weekend. It could have easily gapped against me.

My emotions are still getting to me while trading. For instance at this very moment, I am up 45 pips on a GBP trade and I want to just exit and be done with it. I know that this is my emotions talking and I am trying to convince myself to let it run.

My goal with this journal is to keep myself honest and now I am realizing that another thing this journal really is helping me with is to realize what I am doing.

I have to keep this post short for now but I will add more in a few hours after i am out of class!

Current Trades Active: GBP/USD(100%)

Currently Watching: Been a pretty slow day thus far, so I am watching EVERYTHING!

Thanked by:
cgleckman
Northridge, California

So I never got the chance to make it online to post my second entry of the day. My interenet went out out here due to the constant storms in SoCal.

I ended up taking out 50% of my trade about 30 minutes before I lost internet (thank god). I think I would have gone nuts trying to find someway to check my trades if I was still in there at full value.

Anyway what I did last night (before the internet went down) is: I took 50% profit (36.3 pips), and I moved my stop to a small resistance area. I moved my stop there because I was worried about the trade falling against me since it had consistently hit resistance just about 1.3000.

Anyway since there was nothing I could do, I went to sleep and woke up about 30 minutes ago. I am happy to see that I woke up and was out of my GBP trade. It hit my 100 pip limit order and exited me. Looking at the chart, there was a few more pips available but it really hasn't moved anywhere since it took me out of the trade.

Trading yesterday was very slow.. there are a lot of trends that are continuing from last week. I know I have to be patient and eventually new trends will form. Thats what I am waiting for.

Ok so now onto some things that I have decided to do to help get some responses.

First off I realize that my first few posts sound really egotistical and I apologize. I was just excited that a new system that I have never actually tested suddenly was doing unimaginably well.

Now with that said heres what I am going to start doing:

1) I am going to post 2 different charts. Both charts have the entries marked. The black chart is the chart I use to watch for trades. The white chart is produced by FXCM and shows my entries and exit points. Both charts will be on the 1h and they should always match each other in terms of pairing.. If they dont I made a mistake.. hey I am human!

2) I am not going to keep posting how many pips I have taken from each trade except at the end of the week. I want to still do it at the end of the week because it allows me to keep a running total.
- The reason i will not post the amount of pips I am getting on each trade is because I feel as if it may have made me sound like an egocentric jerk and maybe this is why no one is really looking or reading my journal anymore. Not that it truly matters but I do like questions and concerns and all that jazz. It keeps me active
- Not saying anyone HAS to post just saying maybe this will allow me to seem more people friendly (lol).
3) My last change has to do with futures.io (formerly BMT).. I am going to do my best to start looking/reading/commenting on more posts to become more involved. I think in some way subconciously this may help my trading as well

Anyway thats it for now!

Current Trades Active: None

Currently Watching: Everything! (Particularly EUR/USD | NZD/USD )

P.S: A question to anyone who may actually be reading this and has any Forex experience... My trends are showing a buy on the USD/CHF and the USD/CAD... However I am kind of weary of these two charts.. any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gbp-usd 21-Mar-11 - FXCM chart.png
Views:	177
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	34568   Click image for larger version

Name:	gbp-usd 21-Mar-11.png
Views:	172
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	34569  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 4, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts