NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

bobs qwest to attain consistency

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobarian with 783 posts (1,408 thanks)
    2. looks_two VinceVirgil with 31 posts (68 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 22 posts (29 thanks)
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 21 posts (45 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VinceVirgil with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobarian with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 143,907 views
    2. thumb_up 1,833 thanks given
    3. group 50 followers
    1. forum 1,025 posts
    2. attach_file 987 attachments

Search this Thread

bobs qwest to attain consistency

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT
Broker: TD Ameritrade, Dorman/Zenfire
Trading: CL,ES
Thanks Given: 2,144
Thanks Received: 9,223

bobarian View Post
1/31/2012
tuesday
8 trades
-51 net
oy
the video is too painful.A good example of seeing the leaves, not the forest.When the market rallies straight up, i typically have trouble.Its not orderly, and the ranges of the bars are too big.The solution?stay out.Wait for order to return.I completely ignored my line charts today, and thats a no no.I will post the chart.

I said basically the same thing yesterday on my journal. I didnt want to talk about it.

It happens, however, its how you deal with it that is important, I think. You cant be perfect everyday.

One thing I was thinking about for myself today was protecting my capital. I was determined to be break even. I figured, if I did that for the day, my positive trades ( and you always have good trades in a session) would carry the day for me.

I like the videos, as well. In fact, I look forward to them...I cant do them, as it takes too much computer manipulation, and I dont have the inclination. So I really admire a person that has that ability.

Maybe you have to look at it as negative reinforcemnet. If you have to fess up to your wayward departure, (from your own rules, distracted trading...whatever) what is the likelyhood you will repeat the behaviour? There is a reason you did what you did, but it wasnt apparant at the time.

I have been reading this book, Thinking Fast and Slow, and it describes the 2 thinking systems. System 1 is intuitive, and makes fast desisions. System 2 is methodical, does not make decisions quicly...takes thought.

Here is an example... Answer as quickly as you can...

A bat and a ball cost 1.10...the bat costs 1.00 dollar more than the ball.

How much is the ball?

Likely you said 10 cents, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 5 cents. your fast thinking gave you the intuitively wrong answer. Most people get this wrong ( I did)

How I relate this to trading...slow down and think before you trade. have a plan, everyday, and be mindfull of that plan. It ok to wait, there are many potential trades a day, make sure you take the very best ones everyday. I didnt do that yesterday, and thats one of the reasons I didnt have a profitable day.

Mike replied to my entry, and I could instantly see what he said made sense. Its part of holding yourself accountable, and being able to publically declare that accountability. Isnt that the point of having a trading journal?

BTW, I think you are going to get the results you want, and deserve. You have optimism and tenacity. I get that from your videos.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja trader
Thanks Given: 5,258
Thanks Received: 3,120

VinceVirgil View Post
I said basically the same thing yesterday on my journal. I didnt want to talk about it.

It happens, however, its how you deal with it that is important, I think. You cant be perfect everyday.

One thing I was thinking about for myself today was protecting my capital. I was determined to be break even. I figured, if I did that for the day, my positive trades ( and you always have good trades in a session) would carry the day for me.

I like the videos, as well. In fact, I look forward to them...I cant do them, as it takes too much computer manipulation, and I dont have the inclination. So I really admire a person that has that ability.

Maybe you have to look at it as negative reinforcemnet. If you have to fess up to your wayward departure, (from your own rules, distracted trading...whatever) what is the likelyhood you will repeat the behaviour? There is a reason you did what you did, but it wasnt apparant at the time.

I have been reading this book, Thinking Fast and Slow, and it describes the 2 thinking systems. System 1 is intuitive, and makes fast desisions. System 2 is methodical, does not make decisions quicly...takes thought.

How much is the ball?

Likely you said 10 cents, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 5 cents. your fast thinking gave you the intuitively wrong answer. Most people get this wrong ( I did)

How I relate this to trading...slow down and think before you trade. have a plan, everyday, and be mindfull of that plan. It ok to wait, there are many potential trades a day, make sure you take the very best ones everyday. I didnt do that yesterday, and thats one of the reasons I didnt have a profitable day.

Mike replied to my entry, and I could instantly see what he said made sense. Its part of holding yourself accountable, and being able to publically declare that accountability. Isnt that the point of having a trading journal?

BTW, I think you are going to get the results you want, and deserve. You have optimism and tenacity. I get that from your videos.

thanks Vance, i appreciate it.The videos arent hard, if you really want to do them , let me know..quite easy actually.Today was weird..a full tilt.I just need to stop trying to learn what everyone else is doing, and use what i have.Once i left the 4 range behind, what did i do?I started studying Al Brooks.Its so funny, how easy i can sidetrack myself.Now, dont get me wrong, i think Al is great, and very smart.However, just like Perry, his system works great for him.If i would have traded correctly today, i would have atleast broke even.Hindsight is 20/20, we all know that.***********Today , that rally on the open sucked me in.It doesnt surprise me, these types of days are harder.***********So, what did i learn today?if the cl rallies at the open, be patient, and if the ranges are too big, stay out...preserve capital.The 2nd thing, is i need to stop trying to be someone else..plain and simple.Leave the charts the way they are...seriously Vance, if you want help getting the videos goin , let me know.Just making them is a great review!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

VinceVirgil View Post

How much is the ball?

I agree with this post with one exception....each of us currently is getting the results we deserve. Those results are consequences of our actions which produce the results we get. Therefore, we do not deserve profitability anymore than we deserve losses. We get what we produce through our behavior.

If that is true and I believe it is, then we will get profitable results when we exhibit profit producing behavior. That means doing the things we know to do. Like obeying rules we put in place. Like not counter trend trading if we characterize ourselves as trend traders...doesn't 98% of all of us say we are trend traders? Things like correct stop placement, honoring stops, patiently waiting for the set up instead of manufacturing set ups where there are none like I did today. Good money management...etc.

Only then will we get the good things trading brings. Not before.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

PandaWarrior View Post
I agree with this post with one exception....each of us currently is getting the results we deserve. Those results are consequences of our actions which produce the results we get. Therefore, we do not deserve profitability anymore than we deserve losses. We get what we produce through our behavior.

If that is true and I believe it is, then we will get profitable results when we exhibit profit producing behavior. That means doing the things we know to do. Like obeying rules we put in place. Like not counter trend trading if we characterize ourselves as trend traders...doesn't 98% of all of us say we are trend traders? Things like correct stop placement, honoring stops, patiently waiting for the set up instead of manufacturing set ups where there are none like I did today. Good money management...etc.

Only then will we get the good things trading brings. Not before.

well said guys...I believe my hangup, is i have an astonishing capacity to get sidetracked.Like i said....Just in the last few months...Perry, then Al Brooks...and others before it.Atleast with the 4 range(in relation to Perrys method), i finally put it to rest.Then i thought, just go back to what i was doing before i brought the 4 range back...All of a sudden, im obsessed with trying to put some of Al Brooks ideas to work....I like his analization of candlesticks, and it was like a refresher course, but yesterday, i was just way out of context...so, no more(until the next one?)Its not even funny any more...If i mention any other sidetrack, someone please give me a mighty biff!again, not even joking..im pissed at myself

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

bobarian View Post
well said guys...I believe my hangup, is i have an astonishing capacity to get sidetracked.Like i said....Just in the last few months...Perry, then Al Brooks...and others before it.Atleast with the 4 range(in relation to Perrys method), i finally put it to rest.Then i thought, just go back to what i was doing before i brought the 4 range back...All of a sudden, im obsessed with trying to put some of Al Brooks ideas to work....I like his analization of candlesticks, and it was like a refresher course, but yesterday, i was just way out of context...so, no more(until the next one?)Its not even funny any more...If i mention any other sidetrack, someone please give me a mighty biff!again, not even joking..im pissed at myself

To me, this isn't all bad. This is the growth of a trader in a way.

You never stop learning and adding more information and that is what keeps it fresh and evolving.

What I do is stick with the same method, then as a 'side-track' I follow and do historicals on other methods and over time evaluate whether it is something I can add to my tool belt.

I think that reaching out and seeing what others do is good and bad, but over time mostly good. The key I think to me is to stick with your method while evaluating others.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

2/1/2012
wed
2 trades cl
- 1tick net
A little shell shocked from yesterday, and a little angry too.I need to just focus on what i have here,and stop sidetracking myself.Today was a pretty tight range, but there were trades.Im ok with today though.Now that ive pretty much put it out there, with the sidetracking and all, i want to move forward.I need to prove to myself, that i am capable of just focusing on what i have here.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: 2 1 2012.mp4

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

bobarian View Post

with better renko + better brick you can have both, range bar and apply Brooks' tls to their wicks

Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

bluemele View Post
To me, this isn't all bad. This is the growth of a trader in a way.

You never stop learning and adding more information and that is what keeps it fresh and evolving.

What I do is stick with the same method, then as a 'side-track' I follow and do historicals on other methods and over time evaluate whether it is something I can add to my tool belt.

I think that reaching out and seeing what others do is good and bad, but over time mostly good. The key I think to me is to stick with your method while evaluating others.

Agood point Bluemele, but the problem, is i stray from my method(or disregard totally) So, i just need to focus , and stop searching...atleast for now

Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

2/2/2012
thursday
3 full stops..would be done for the day live
I made a few mistakes, there were some good trades also.One thing i should notice, is , try not to take an entry vs a trending 50 ma unless you have room.Alot of days the 50 ma will be flattish at times, and that could be ok( i think)..the 2nd mp4 is just a test for resolution

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: 2 2 2012.mp4
Elite Membership required to download: test resolution.mp4
Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

2/2/2012
5 min line on close ch
recap..., well 20/20 hindsight is beautiful today....basically, i drew the 2 horizontal trendlines that were prominent..then, any time we get a 2nd leg to a swing, idraw that trendline, and duplicate it...move the duplicated trendline above or below, depending which direction you are headed..quite simple.As hard as today wason the 1 min, this chart weeded out alot of noise...Atotal of 5 trades , i would have been done before 10:30 with the news and all.**************There were 5 arrows on the 5 min..then, we look to the 1 min for the entry...

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: 5 minute.mp4
Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 4, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts