NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

10% per day, no way

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 19 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 16 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 felixtjung with 14 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ThatManFromTexas with 6 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tigertrader with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jigsaw Trading with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 felixtjung with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,381 views
    2. thumb_up 36 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 87 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

10% per day, no way

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,258

DionysusToast View Post
Not only that. Your broker will also be calling you with offers.

Seruously - if you make this kind of return, it wont go unnoticed.

You might even be invited to become a "talking head" on CNBC, or a "celebrity apprentice" on the Donald's show - but that's reality T.V. - this is more like Fantasy Island!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

dutchbookmaker 
NYC

Why not 9%? Why not 11%?
+/- 1% is a rather enormous figure when talking daily compounding.

Why stop at daily goals? Why not shoot for .75% every half hour during cash hours?

".125% every 5 minute bar is possible"
What does that even mean beyond being a foolish and laughable goal? As if the EV for each 5 minute period for your system is going to be the same..or 15, 30, 60, 127 minutes, daily, monthly, yearly...whatever.

This whole way of thinking is absurd and measuring daily return is a completely arbitrary time frame that has zero meaning.

dutchbookmaker 
NYC

The reason discussions like this come up on trading boards is because of ignorance of Thorp(forget Tharp) and Ralph Vince, hardly because of them...Thorp's track record is quite impressive and Ralph Vince work is based on extensions/adaption to Thorp/Kelly.
I'm sure Rentech uses more advanced MM techniques than Vince but they are not writing books on them, ever.
The reason we have Ralph Vince books is because he can not trade, if he could he would have never published. Taking that as a knock on his MM ideas is absurd.
I posted a Simmons talk no one seemed to care about, most analogy has nothing to do with markets when you actually get down to it.
I watched Jackass 3d this weekend, Steve O won then lost out on "Clown College"..
If you are trying to become a pro "trader" and not seeing yourself as a Clown....
Not sure what to tell you clown...go back to at least understand some probability theory?

nostrabus 
Salvador, Brazil

Hello there

I would suggest to not set daily goals, (other then following your trading plan) and better set a weekly goal, because not every day is good to make money, when markets do not fit your plan it is best to not trade.

If you set daily goals that would force you to trade even on days that are not worth the risk

best wishes

Skrohira 
San Ramon CA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT, TS, MT4, eSignal
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 0

Wonder why this thread stopped? Ryanb demonstrated that it is possible.

iwillsurvive
Singapore

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

Let's see some examples

BlueTrin 
London UK

Experience: None
Platform: NT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 3

Did anybody point out that 10% a day would mean that your pot would be 3590332871839% of its original size after 250 days ?

Making 10% a couple of times and then losing about the same amount of money does not mean that you made 10% a day consistently. Post 1 year of live trades and let's see if you made 10% a day with realistic leverage of your pot.

Eric B
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 15

I would be thrilled to make even half that each time I trade, which usually isn't on a daily basis either.
There is something to be said about the capitalization of a trader & risk aversion though.

Peter, I saw your post re: account size and making a living trading - what account size would you estimate is the minimum needed then? Just curious.

Last Updated on November 20, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts