NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I might Win a Tablet but I might just get rich trying

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Nickemp with 67 posts (44 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mmaker with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Eric j with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Eric j with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Nickemp with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mmaker with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,285 views
    2. thumb_up 51 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 76 posts
    2. attach_file 85 attachments

Search this Thread

I might Win a Tablet but I might just get rich trying

Nickemp
Launceston, Tasmania, Australi

Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 63

Captains Log Star date May 11th

I seem to be going from bad to worse this week. Over the weekend I decided I would look for the morning fake-out on the EUR/USD as well as my normal set-ups. This usually occurs around the start of the Euro and London session and is the break of the daily range that fails and tracks through to the other side. I have been noticing this for a while but over the weekend I read a paper that explained the phenomenon and it made enough sense to me to trade it.

The trouble with getting a new to though is that you ignore your normal toys while you wait for the shiny one to come out of the box. At least that’s what I did on the EUR.

I compounded this error with a GBP trade. I entered a retracement in the downtrend on a break down of the reversal bar – so far so good. Initially it went with me and I was trying to wind in my stop to the high of the entry bar but due to the 10-pip limitation of IG Markets I never got there. The foolish part was that I didn’t even wind the stop as far as possible, which was only 1 pip worse than that. The even more foolish thing was I didn’t try to close the trade manually when it went back through that and decided to ‘give it a chance’ (What?? )

Eventually I took a 1R loss when I should have had just over a 0.5R loss. Given that my goal is to average 0.5R losses over all (currently 0.7R) that’s not particularly helpful.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 EUR_USD (-).png
Views:	185
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	38465   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 GBP_USD (-).png
Views:	227
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	38466  

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
Nickemp

Captains Log Star date May 12th

That was a little better. In hindsight there was a fake out move on the EUR but I didn’t see it at the time and it’s not blindingly obvious even now (to me at least)

I did take a trade on what looked like a failed test of the range high but after some initial progress it started backfilling and news was fast approaching so I closed it for a scratch.

The GBP was offered most of the time I was watching. I find it hard to jump on board when it looks like one way traffic although there was a Ross Hook in there that would have paid off nicely depending on where you though the break down of the rise originated

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 EUR_USD (-).png
Views:	180
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	38543   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 GBP_USD (-).png
Views:	216
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	38544  
Nickemp

Captains Log Star date May 14th

Yesterday was one of those days where news clogs my normal trading time. I aim to start around 3pm and finish before 8pm. There were news releases at 3.15, 4.00, 4.45, 5.15, 6.00 and 7.00pm so no trades for me. I tend to check ahead these days so that I can plan to be out and about rather than get all cued up and then disappointed..

Last night my wife took me to a Hafla, which is a kind of belly dancing show where students from all over the place show their stuff. It was tough but someone has to do it.

My week finished with three trades completed. two losers and a scratch and I was down 1.5R.

Attached Images

Nickemp

Captains Log Star date Monday May 16th

It was a case of nearly there but not quite. I had set my target at slightly wider than my R as I’m trying to improve my win/loss ratio. In hindsight I set it just a little aggressively for this late in the trend which had already climbed just about150 pips. A 1R target would have been met but I ended up with Zip.

I count zero trades as losses because I have taken on the risk but got nothing in return.

Maybe next time

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16 GBP_USD (-).png
Views:	212
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	38725   Click image for larger version

Name:	16b EUR_USD (-).png
Views:	194
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	38726  
Nickemp

Captains Log Star date Tuesday May 17th

Well, another day and another loss. Only 1 R but I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that trading 5-minute charts is a random exercise for me.

There seems to be a lot of noise in the lower time frames and given that I am not a natural day trader (I don’t like watching charts tick by – it bores me witless whether I have a position or not) I am finding the whole exercise unsatisfactory. In the last 6 months or so I have traded every time frame from 15 minutes down to 1 minute and even tick charts of varying lengths. I generally find the same problems with all of them in that only my money management keeps me going but I never make any kind of consistent return. I’ll have a string of wins or losses and basically earn less per hour than if I were flipping burgers. I could happily cope with this of there was some sort of slow incremental build up of my account but that just isn’t happening. I am not saying it can’t be done just that I can’t do it.

I intend re assessing my trading plan and I will most likely move to 4-hour charts along the lines espoused by Nial Fuller. This will line up more neatly with the long term rend following models I use for my Share investments and my SMSF.

This has been a long winded way of saying that I am not going to update this journal any more but I will probably soon start another one with a much more sensible name.

Thanks to those who offered helpful suggestions and those who read some part or another and hit the thanks button.

Cheers for now

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17b EUR_USD (-).png
Views:	200
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	38806   Click image for larger version

Name:	17 GBP_USD (-).png
Views:	178
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	38807  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

I look forward to your new journal, and maybe a bigger time frame trade method.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Eric j 
NY

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

Nickemp View Post
I intend re assessing my trading plan and I will most likely move to 4-hour charts along the lines espoused by Nial Fuller. This will line up more neatly with the long term rend following models I use for my Share investments and my SMSF.

If you listen carefully to Nial he'll tell you that the best signals come off the dailies . Hes right and theres no reason you cant anticipate directional moves watching 4H + tfs and enter on smaller tfs . Trust me when I tell you this is a good way to go , think of the longer tfs like a roadmap . Good luck and looking forward to the new journal .

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on May 18, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts