NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Greatest Weakness

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 10 posts (36 thanks)
    2. looks_two George with 6 posts (91 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Shivaya with 5 posts (46 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 4 posts (27 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one George with 15.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Shivaya with 9.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 6.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 3.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 49,950 views
    2. thumb_up 403 thanks given
    3. group 70 followers
    1. forum 109 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

The Greatest Weakness

George 
Sweden

Experience: Master
Platform: TT, NT, MetaTrader
Broker: Velocity Futures, MB Trading
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 1,005
Thanks Received: 1,323

I can give you the best rules in the world and the best methods for determining the position of a commodity, and then you can lose money on account of the human element, which is your greatest weakness. You will fail to follow rules. You will act on hope or fear instead of facts. You will delay. You will become impatient. You will act too quickly or you will delay too long in acting, thus beating yourself on account of your human weakness, then blaming it on the market. Remember that it is your mistakes that cause losses and not the action of the market or the manipulators. Therefore, strive to follow rules, or keep out of speculation, for you are doomed to failure.

If you will only study the weakness of human nature and see what fools these mortals be, you will find it easy to make profits by understanding the weakness of human nature and going against the public and doing opposite of what other people do. In other words, you buy near the bottom on knowledge and sell near the top on knowledge, while other people who just guess do the opposite. Time spent in the study of price, time and past market movements, will give you a rich reward.

W.D Gann in
How to Make Profits in Commodities

These lines were written in the 1940's. And only because we now use blue-tooth we're supposed to be more advanced!

/George

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

websouth 
Perdido Beach, AL
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: graph paper
Trading: The shiny stuff
Thanks Given: 1,116
Thanks Received: 1,335

OK - real time example of rule following regret. I had a decent morning in the market. It was coming up on 11:00 am Friday. I trade Forex. My rule is no trades after 11a on Friday because market dies...usually....but I'm still watching...because I need to get a life or because of the last trade I have my captain invincible outfit on... I see the setup coming... market flips. I don't take the bait...and 35 ticks. AAAAAH. So maybe I should ditch that rule. NOPE. Just because your rules aren't 100% doesn't mean they aren't valid. How did that rule come about you ask.... Some rules are more expensive than others.

The market stalled after the move....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11am.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2685  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,538

Gann View Post
I can give you the best rules in the world and the best methods for determining the position of a commodity, and then you can lose money on account of the human element, which is your greatest weakness.

Gann View Post
You will fail to follow rules. You will act on hope or fear instead of facts. You will delay. You will become impatient.

Gann View Post
You will act too quickly or you will delay too long in acting, thus beating yourself on account of your human weakness, then blaming it on the market.

Gann View Post
Remember that it is your mistakes that cause losses and not the action of the market or the manipulators. Therefore, strive to follow rules, or keep out of speculation, for you are doomed to failure.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Todd 
Alpharetta, GA

Platform: ninja
Broker: Mirus / Zenfire
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 40

Thanks for these quotes.

I've just printed out these quotes from Gann and I'm adding them to my trading journal....

THIS IS THE GOSPEL TRUTH!

A person can follow rules and still lose money but a person who doesn't follow rules is doomed to failure (at least in the long run).

Todd

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

Unfortunately I give proof to Gann's statements. If only I could master the space between the ears......

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

hondo69 
Austin, TX

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 248

I was trying to explain trading to a buddy of mine last night and it was obvious he was becoming more confused the more I went on. Finally, he said, "if you're supposed to treat trading like a business, what would you tell a bank if you went in for a business loan?".

This question really took be aback as I never really thought about it that way before. But I plodded along anyway.

"Well, you see, the markets are fixed. It's not exactly collusion but it is definitely a game controlled by big money. And the big money can only maximize their profits by tricking retail traders. Let's say a strong uptrend is underway and you're waiting for a pullback so you can go along for the ride."

He stopped me right there and asked me, "Why wait for a pullback? If you have a confirmed trend then simply enter upon confirmation."

Guess what? I couldn't come up with a concrete answer to his question. Although I explained margins, slippage, commission, etc. to him it still didn't do the trick. Then I went into trading strategies and some indicators. In short, he said I was over-thinking the situation. Since no one can predict when a "run" will end and the pullback begins, just hop on the train and get out of the way.

I think he's right.

Thanked by:
sjrider
utah

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 10

I totally agree. I would make a lot more money if I followed my own rules. I have had the same setup for 13 months now you would think that I would trust it more. When looking back at the charts it trades at 68 percent. But when I trade it with real money I only trade at 45 percent. Money management is the only think that saves me. I truly believe that trading is easy and that we over complicate it, and let our "intellect" get in the way.

cbratton 
Cebu, Philippines

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 128
Thanks Received: 118

hondo69 View Post

This question really took be aback as I never really thought about it that way before. But I plodded along anyway.

"Well, you see, the markets are fixed. It's not exactly collusion but it is definitely a game controlled by big money. And the big money can only maximize their profits by tricking retail traders. Let's say a strong uptrend is underway and you're waiting for a pullback so you can go along for the ride."

He stopped me right there and asked me, "Why wait for a pullback? If you have a confirmed trend then simply enter upon confirmation."

Guess what? I couldn't come up with a concrete answer to his question. Although I explained margins, slippage, commission, etc. to him it still didn't do the trick. Then I went into trading strategies and some indicators. In short, he said I was over-thinking the situation. Since no one can predict when a "run" will end and the pullback begins, just hop on the train and get out of the way.

I think he's right.

You don't need to wait for pullbacks, if that's your setup. Setups minimize risk that's all they do. If you don't need to minimize risk then just enter at market, but if you treat it like a business, most good business try to minimize risk.

Richard
Dallas TX/USA

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 284

You know, it's interesting. Of course it's tempting to agree with Gann on the "follow the rules" point, but I wonder how much that really matches with my experience in the markets. I guess my question boils down to: does anyone have a set of rules good enough that simply following them is "the answer"?

Because, if they did, I would just program it and go sunbathe on my private island from then on out. No more human weakness. In reality, though, every time I make an automated system, it underperforms what I can do discretionarily by a wide margin, if it makes money at all. And, if I'm to be honest, when I trade discretionarily, I bend and break my "rules" fairly often. (not the "don't pull stops" kind of rules, of course!)

I suppose you could assume that I've got subconscious rules that are better than my conscious ones. But, since they are subconscious, following them feels like bending my rules to me. So, I don't know if I'm following Gann's advice or not.

George 
Sweden

Experience: Master
Platform: TT, NT, MetaTrader
Broker: Velocity Futures, MB Trading
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 1,005
Thanks Received: 1,323

Studog View Post
I dont believe any of the crud associated with Gann. Noone even seems toknow whether he made a dollar or not from his so called "fan". So why would you trade on rumour and innuendo?

OPS!, seems like Gann has managed to make you mad!

He's not talking about, or maybe I should say I'm not talking about, because Gann is dead and cannot speak any more. I'm using Gann as a reference point in order to show how the human element and nature looks like today. And that there's no change to be found either, in other words human nature is still the same even we're facing a 70 year old development on the time line.

By the way!, You've made me curious, would you mind explaining what the solution is instead?!

We all struggle to make tomorrow look like yesterday!
Get rid of your past and let the future unfold from the now.
Past performance is not indicative of future results.
/George
Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 28, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts