NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Family Trader with 78 posts (31 thanks)
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 15 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 fusion with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Family Trader with 0.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 fusion with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,160 views
    2. thumb_up 52 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 107 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Experience: Advanced
Platform: OEC about to change to Ninja
Trading: ES ,EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 90

Series still alive ...last trade was S 130750...closed at 130600...3rd series actually yielded a net profit

Just got back to find I missed a trade...have to wait it out or catch up with it sometime later...and will start the 4th series.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Have woken up to find my missed trade has cost me +10 at 4th level 3rd trade...cost me big time as losses very small....damn, damn!! ...can't be here 23 hours a day and I do have a life. The trades would have been

S130625
L 130800...and it hit

In summary, the 1st series was (3 1/2)...2nd series was net ( 1 1/2) as had a profitable trade...3rd series was net profit...+3...

Overall series was net loss (2)....plus comms on 30 contracts... a pain

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

After my little disappointment from last night...there was absolutely nothing to do...and probably not before tomorrow sometime IF it backs off to around 1223...

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Family Trader View Post
Have woken up to find my missed trade has cost me +10 at 4th level 3rd trade...cost me big time as losses very small....damn, damn!! ...can't be here 23 hours a day and I do have a life. The trades would have been

S130625
L 130800...and it hit

In summary, the 1st series was (3 1/2)...2nd series was net ( 1 1/2) as had a profitable trade...3rd series was net profit...+3...

Overall series was net loss (2)....plus comms on 30 contracts... a pain

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Have started trading a new signal...series 1

S 132875

One of the things I am going to explore is the dirfference between setting the profit goal based on the initial entry as opposed to running profit goal...

Reason although there should be little difference it may provide opportunities to exit earlier with a profit if the initial entry is lower + side/ or higher - side compared to the running profit goal of +/- from the last entry.

Have to find time to do it ...my only concern is what kind of additional exposure do I have when compared to the 2 different profit goal levels...not concerned about the profit differences.

I would go with the lesser exposure even if it means less profit...

Just reversed ...L 133050 ...ouch...

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Have a chance to update

S2925...3rd trade
L2950
S2875

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Family Trader View Post
Have a chance to update

S2925...3rd trade
L2950
S2875

Ok we have completed series 1 with a 10 point profit @ 131875..

Net result...10 - 4= 6 points before comms.

I am packing it in for today...hope all have a pleasant weekend..

Trader

fusion 
East Coast

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader,
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 272
Thanks Received: 25

Hi Family Trader,

Thank you for the nice journal.

I have questions regarding the indicators you use in your ES chart---

1. What's the Period of EMA? Is it EMA 50?

2. What's the Period of Chande Momentum Oscillator?

3. What's the Period of William's%R?

Thank You In Advance & Good Trading to You!

Family Trader View Post
Posting a journal covering a simple ES trading strategy that has a base 10:1 (win/risk) where the returns deminish over each loser in time .

I am computer illiterate so getting me to set up charts etc will be a challenge...

In the meantime, I can say the settings are a 5 point price range bar and an ema setting...that'it...

The average loss runs around 1 point...profit goal 10 points... Average trades per day varies between 3 and 6 .

After 5 consecutive failures will increase allocation by 1 contract...and every 5 consecutive losses will continue to add another contract.

Account adequately covers initial loss by approximately 480 times.

I shut down trade before close and re open...just a habit I have developed...can go for me as against me...

Downside... needs 23 1/2 hours attention!!!... and a lot of patience...and there will be times that I am going to be "lucky" by missing a trade as I can be very unlucky if it hits and I am not on it..I accept that.

ES market volatilty suitable for trading this method......not perfect..won't get rich ,but will be profitable..

In the meantime I trade ES and 6E ...maybe journalize a strategy in 6E at a later date...

To each his own, but if there is one thing I would like to say is that I have finally come to grips with being properly capitalized to trade...

Hoping journalizing will keep me focused and assist in maintaining discipline.

Trader

Thanked by:
 Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

To answer in reverse

Williams% is voodoo...I trade using it as a contrarian indicator from what it is intended...only used when I have not a trade on..runs around 50% ..pretty much most of the time.

CMO is work in progress...has high probability signals around +/- 40 and 50 'breakdown'

I use EMA100 and a 5 point momentum price range...seems to be unique to OEC...so you can look at straight 5 point price range using other platforms...

I was going to switch brokers and go with Ninja...have completely backed off and will definitely purchase MultiCharts and stay with OEC..

BUT I will need help with writing my stratgies to go 'auto' as I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers .My strategies are simple with just a couple of conditions related to order placements and stop loss ...the latter runs off daily opening balance percentage NOT price ..

Someone?

Thanked by:
 fusion 
East Coast

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader,
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 272
Thanks Received: 25

Family Trader View Post
To answer in reverse

Williams% is voodoo...I trade using it as a contrarian indicator from what it is intended...only used when I have not a trade on..runs around 50% ..pretty much most of the time.

CMO is work in progress...has high probability signals around +/- 40 and 50 'breakdown'

I use EMA100 and a 5 point momentum price range...seems to be unique to OEC...so you can look at straight 5 point price range using other platforms...

I was going to switch brokers and go with Ninja...have completely backed off and will definitely purchase MultiCharts and stay with OEC..

BUT I will need help with writing my stratgies to go 'auto' as I am pretty dumb when it comes to computers .My strategies are simple with just a couple of conditions related to order placements and stop loss ...the latter runs off daily opening balance percentage NOT price ..
Someone?

Hi Family Trader

Thank you for your reply. Currently I have NinjaTrader 7 and CMO (it's probable OEC inbuilt indicator) is not avalable, I added EMA 100 to my ES chart. Could you check your indicator and let me know what the period of William's%R is? Please check the attachment for my request. TIA

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WilliamsR.gif
Views:	209
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	32799  

Last Updated on May 17, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts