NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Family Trader with 78 posts (31 thanks)
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 15 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 fusion with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Family Trader with 0.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 fusion with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,308 views
    2. thumb_up 52 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 107 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

sysot1t 

Family Trader View Post
The charts and comments from last/morning trades

Profts were 9.75 ..2 contracts and 9.25..2 contracts respectively...a good day overall....no trades since .

Attachment 34429

curious, did you watched it all night? and how do you manage to watch things overnight without getting bored out of your skull?

I cant get around entering trades on US Indexes after hours, I am just afraid lack of liquidity will go against me if someone sweeps the order book given I cant put stops on spreads ... so I have to watch the spreads through out the day...

last night was a good night to trade just as you state... I wanted to put on a spread on the YM/ES pair, but I just could not bring myself around it... instead I placed it this morning and I ended up only making $100 for the day vs. $1200 ...

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
77 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
38 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
 Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Experience: Advanced
Platform: OEC about to change to Ninja
Trading: ES ,EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 90

sysot1t View Post
curious, did you watched it all night? and how do you manage to watch things overnight without getting bored out of your skull?

I cant get around entering trades on US Indexes after hours, I am just afraid lack of liquidity will go against me if someone sweeps the order book given I cant put stops on spreads ... so I have to watch the spreads through out the day...

last night was a good night to trade just as you state... I wanted to put on a spread on the YM/ES pair, but I just could not bring myself around it... instead I placed it this morning and I ended up only making $100 for the day vs. $1200 ...

$100 is a lot better than what a lot of traders made...but I understand your point.

No,I did not watch it all night...my son (19 and one of the rare times his was home!!! ) monitored the trade...he knows what to do if there was a change...

I also have an alert system the whole house will hear if necessary...another reason for automation as it is getting 'old'.

While up last night after 2 am , I did a lot of work so was not bored ...when second trade completed ..hit the sack. If there was another trade...would not have mattered.

Progressing with automating...need a couple of weeks to walk forward and de bug, if necessary.

Trader

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 sysot1t 

Family Trader View Post
$100 is a lot better than what a lot of traders made...but I understand your point.

No,I did not watch it all night...my son (19 and one of the rare times his was home!!! ) monitored the trade...he knows what to do if there was a change...

I also have an alert system the whole house will hear if necessary...another reason for automation as it is getting 'old'.

While up last night after 2 am , I did a lot of work so was not bored ...when second trade completed ..hit the sack. If there was another trade...would not have mattered.

Progressing with automating...need a couple of weeks to walk forward and de bug, if necessary.

Trader

thanks for the feedback.. it has given me a few ideas for setting price alerts.. I am also looking at CQG spreader, from what I read on their User Guide they do have stops and they are server side.. and there are some cool features on CQGIC that after reading I am finding of use...

glad to know that Multicharts is coming along nicely for you...

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Have started a new series...S 9175
L 9250...this is the first of the 2 sets...the other set will not trigger until sometime later at a lower level;if at all.

Trader

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Lousy, unproductive day and I had a good gut feeling it would turn out that way.

The 2nd level started with a L 8875...in the mean time the first level is now commencing the 3rd series..

Ideally, would like to have an extreme pop up any time, but not holding my breathe...

Long night ahead..

NiN

sysot1t 

Family Trader View Post
Lousy, unproductive day

I hear ya, I didnt have a single trade on the futures side, ended up switching to trading options on AAPL so that I would not have wasted the day trading and close with some profit today at least... ES/YM just went nowhere today for me, there were a few opportunities when ES kept going against 92-93 and finding resistance, but that was just about it.. very sideways today for me...

when you see the day like this where it is clearly sideways, do you stop the series or just keep on until you get your profits eventually? curious...

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

sysot1t View Post
I hear ya, I didnt have a single trade on the futures side, ended up switching to trading options on AAPL so that I would not have wasted the day trading and close with some profit today at least... ES/YM just went nowhere today for me, there were a few opportunities when ES kept going against 92-93 and finding resistance, but that was just about it.. very sideways today for me...

when you see the day like this where it is clearly sideways, do you stop the series or just keep on until you get your profits eventually? curious...

No, once committed I will stay with the trade (series)...in this case I was in two minds whether to commit as the price pattern looked absolutely ugly.

I committed ,because I did not know that it would remain that way (who does) and it had been in excess of 12 hours, so I thought there would be a reasonable chance it will break out.

Trader

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Ok..have closed out both trades at 8475...yielded a small profit before comms.

Missed first trade from a +10 by 2 ticks!!

Reason i closed out is that I am going to be carry unnecessary exposure at series 3 whereas I can achieve virtually the same result by reverting back to series 1...

This trade has gone on longer than 24 hours and no outright result...so I am taking a hit on comms for a total of 29 contracts against profit of 1.25 points..

BUT my exposure diminishes to 'base' level...

Will pull up a chart later...

Trader

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Chart for yesterday and today's trades..

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

After the realignment we had a nice profit +10 trade on the first set up closing out at 9550..

Net profit was 6.75 points before comms...4 contracts

The 2nd set up is still running looking for 9650 at present.

Trader

Last Updated on May 17, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts