NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Family Trader with 78 posts (31 thanks)
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 15 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 fusion with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sysot1t with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Family Trader with 0.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 fusion with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,160 views
    2. thumb_up 52 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 107 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

Small losses...large gains...sometimes

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Experience: Advanced
Platform: OEC about to change to Ninja
Trading: ES ,EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 90

sysot1t View Post
why automate it with NT7, when you can for the same $$$ automate it with MC, and now with MC having chart trader and DOM on MC7 ... one does not have to do much of anything with NT7 unless one really wants to...

MC supports OEC without issues.. it supports Market/Limit/Stop orders natively, and OCO's programatically within MC...

so you can stay with OEC if they are reliable to you, and just pick MultiCharts... my 2 cents... and as a disclaimer, I own both NT7 and MC... and I find MC to be easier for simple coding and NT7 for very, very complex strategies... but keep in mind that C# is not all that fast, but it appears as your strat does not require speed of execution and analysis..

Thank you for the advice...will run it through OEC to make sure they support Multicharts...

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks
 Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Ok..here is today's chart ,which is self explanatory.

Sorry, 2 to the left of box should be included

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Family Trader View Post
Thank you for the advice...will run it through OEC to make sure they support Multicharts...

Lo and behold, my Broker, a decent guy, says NO...that is my aggravation with OEC...they seem to run off in tangents...love their platform as it is simple for the simple minded...BUT their support STINKS...!!!

I am seriously considering giving Mirus a chance unless I hear/read something untoward...

I don't have a lot of time to mess around as I want to set up automated sub accounts....and yet I am one step less than "dummies for auto trading"...2 left thumbs that have cost me over time...

sysot1t 

reality is that many closed platforms, OpenECry included, publish an API... TSS(MultiCharts) has supported OEC API for the past 4 years I believe.. you can go to their forums and check it out... even better, download their MC7 beta and test it out.. you will see how it works and test the connectivity before doing anything.. the beta is free for life... and for automated trading, the demo version is good for 30 days.

as to Mirus.. hmmm... they are a decent broker... I have used them... but they are not the best broker... I would rather recommend to you Velocity for their simpler account management features (very much like OEC platform) and also their tech support..... for the best pricing DeepDiscountTrading(CrossLand)... unless you want to go with Advantage Futures (but their account management platform is just awful)... another good account management platform is Vision Financial (Optimus is an IB for them).. their comms are ok..

anyhow, if you are truly not as computer savvy, please dont waste your time with NT7 & C#... stick to something like EasyLanguage(MultiCharts/TradeStation) that can be coded rather simply, but it is powerful enough to write anything complex... specially if you are using off the shelf indicators, etc. one does not really need C#...

Family Trader View Post
Lo and behold, my Broker, a decent guy, says NO...that is my aggravation with OEC...they seem to run off in tangents...love their platform as it is simple for the simple minded...BUT their support STINKS...!!!

I am seriously considering giving Mirus a chance unless I hear/read something untoward...

I don't have a lot of time to mess around as I want to set up automated sub accounts....and yet I am one step less than "dummies for auto trading"...2 left thumbs that have cost me over time...

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Family Trader View Post
Posting a journal covering a simple ES trading strategy that has a base 10:1 (win/risk) where the returns deminish over each loser in time .

I am computer illiterate so getting me to set up charts etc will be a challenge...

In the meantime, I can say the settings are a 5 point price range bar and an ema setting...that'it...

The average loss runs around 1 point...profit goal 10 points... Average trades per day varies between 3 and 6 .

After 5 consecutive failures will increase allocation by 1 contract...and every 5 consecutive losses will continue to add another contract.

Account adequately covers initial loss by approximately 480 times.

I shut down trade before close and re open...just a habit I have developed...can go for me as against me...

Downside... needs 23 1/2 hours attention!!!... and a lot of patience...and there will be times that I am going to be "lucky" by missing a trade as I can be very unlucky if it hits and I am not on it..I accept that.

ES market volatilty suitable for trading this method......not perfect..won't get rich ,but will be profitable..

In the meantime I trade ES and 6E ...maybe journalize a strategy in 6E at a later date...

To each his own, but if there is one thing I would like to say is that I have finally come to grips with being properly capitalized to trade...

Hoping journalizing will keep me focused and assist in maintaining discipline.

Trader

sysot1t View Post
reality is that many closed platforms, OpenECry included, publish an API... TSS(MultiCharts) has supported OEC API for the past 4 years I believe.. you can go to their forums and check it out... even better, download their MC7 beta and test it out.. you will see how it works and test the connectivity before doing anything.. the beta is free for life... and for automated trading, the demo version is good for 30 days.

as to Mirus.. hmmm... they are a decent broker... I have used them... but they are not the best broker... I would rather recommend to you Velocity for their simpler account management features (very much like OEC platform) and also their tech support..... for the best pricing DeepDiscountTrading(CrossLand)... unless you want to go with Advantage Futures (but their account management platform is just awful)... another good account management platform is Vision Financial (Optimus is an IB for them).. their comms are ok..

anyhow, if you are truly not as computer savvy, please dont waste your time with NT7 & C#... stick to something like EasyLanguage(MultiCharts/TradeStation) that can be coded rather simply, but it is powerful enough to write anything complex... specially if you are using off the shelf indicators, etc. one does not really need C#...

Again, thank you Sysot,

When it comes to computers I'm still as 'thick as 2 planks' ...trust me...but at the same time I understand what you are trying to say...

Crazy at it may seem, to be successful in this business (given the technology available) I HAVE to believe it is NOT a 'one army band'...

It seems to me that there are individuals that want be able to trade, but for God given reasons cannot, and yet have abilities that can support the trader...so would it not make sense for individuals to recognize their individual talents and combine them to achieve the 'common goal'...

Probably getting off track from what this journal is supposed to be about...and talking out of my butt...

omaha786 
San Diego, California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: IB, OEC, Optimus, DDT
Trading: ES, ZN
Thanks Given: 512
Thanks Received: 158

sysot1t View Post
why automate it with NT7, when you can for the same $$$ automate it with MC, and now with MC having chart trader and DOM on MC7 ... one does not have to do much of anything with NT7 unless one really wants to...

MC supports OEC without issues.. it supports Market/Limit/Stop orders natively, and OCO's programatically within MC...

so you can stay with OEC if they are reliable to you, and just pick MultiCharts... my 2 cents... and as a disclaimer, I own both NT7 and MC... and I find MC to be easier for simple coding and NT7 for very, very complex strategies... but keep in mind that C# is not all that fast, but it appears as your strat does not require speed of execution and analysis..

Another choice is stay with OEC and use Sierra Chart.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Thank you Omaha,

Will check that out too.

Trader

sysot1t 

Family Trader View Post
Crazy at it may seem, to be successful in this business (given the technology available) I HAVE to believe it is NOT a 'one army band'...

It seems to me that there are individuals that want be able to trade, but for God given reasons cannot, and yet have abilities that can support the trader...so would it not make sense for individuals to recognize their individual talents and combine them to achieve the 'common goal'...

I completely understand what you mean... there is no single man hedge fund... usually, not always, there are those with the capital.. then the traders with the ideas and abilities... the quants (which normally know how to program) with their ideas as well... the techies.. the backoffice people... and all together make the pie and put it in the oven.. each with its own specialized task... to make lots of $$$, it takes a team.

there are plenty of guys on this forum that might not have a strategy that would certainly love exchanging skills... and then there is the mighty dollar as well, since programmers are for hire..

so not crazy at all ..

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

Ok...we have new set up underway...I missed the first trade...but i still start from scratch. I don't particularly like Wednesdays or Fridays, but can only trade what is given as i have no idea of the outcome...

S130350

additional trades

L130375
S130300
L130300
S130200
L130325...got 'flipped'...and now series 2
S130275
L 130400

Family Trader 
Palm Beach County

What a bummer...!!! I missed out by 1 tickand my other model, which is generally more erratic romped in...

S 130575...

L 130625

further update..

S130600..starting 3rd series
L130725
S130625
L130650

Overall losses very low...

Last Updated on May 17, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts