NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MT trading journal and learning log

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mindfultrader with 46 posts (29 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Trankuility with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Trankuility with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Anagami with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mindfultrader with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,285 views
    2. thumb_up 33 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 50 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

MT trading journal and learning log

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 52
Thanks Received: 35

This is chart for 3-11 - I di dntop switch to June contract and made a mistake in my entry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-11.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	33624  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal 3-14
trading 1 contract - today I will look to trade the cycle tops and bottoms with trend only and will mark all potential ct trades for later study _ I am using Camatasia to record the day 's action
Over the weekend I studied and saw how significant S/R lines are
1. 641 9000cycle top sell - entry on 3000 momentum cross +5 ticks
2. 657 90001/2 cyc bottom - 27crossed 81 - trp - entry on 3000 momentum cross up ex at r + 4 ticks
NOTE THE 27000 CHART CYC TOPS AND BOTTOMS ARE IMPORTANT WITH STRUCTREND
can take trades with structural trend (ST) and counter to trading trend ( see 710 time)
NOTE TO MYSELF: WHEN IN DOUBT WAIT FOR 1/2 CYC LE RET
3. 726 error = entered on cyc bot fine but ret but not complete - 7ticks
sell entry followed within 2 minutes buy must have blue stop dot on 9000
missed trade at 757 - getting coffee - beautiful sell setup
1040 am - I have been busy taking care of a sick son - hard to trade - and missed several great sells - will watch now for setups - trading trend is up structural trend still down
1106 finally got buy setup and signal for 5 ticks - entry @ 1287 exit @ 1288.25 nice setup on small ut

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-12 630 - 1130.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	33743  
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

market down overnight big time- trading trend up
look for counter buys
643 1st ct buy @1261.00 exit @ 1262.75 + 7 ticks
missed sell signal at 655 with 27000 cyc top
I find myself very conservative this am -
710 2nd buy at 1261.5 exit @ 1262.75 + 5 ticks
722 3rd buy @ 1263.75 - exited quickly in error - had target @ 1264.75 on 2 contracts + 2 ticks
target was hit but exited early with anxiety - great entry - poor exit
several swing failure bottoms on trading trend up - move up is strong in face of big overnight down move hit .386 of downmove
NOTE: THE FEELING OF ANXIETY THAT I COULD LOSE MY PROFIT
744 - 4th buy @1268.25 - felt anxiety of potential loss target of 1269.75 - exited with 1 tick with price action at résistance at cycle top - I would have rather exited with a strategy than on anxiety of loss - glad I exited anyway but not how I wanted to do so - my entry was also late
751 - 5th buy @ 1268.75 exit @ 1269.25 target was 1269.75 - exited when it hit .50 and could not get over it 3 times - feel good about how I exited even though target not hit - could; have entered 1 tick earlier
828 6th buy @ 1267.75 - exit @ target 1269 - excellent trade for me - well executed, set stop and exit
as of 830 , I am profitable by 27 ticks -
MOST IMPORTANTLY MINDFUL TRADER, YOU WERE MINDFUL - YOU THOUGHT ABOUT TRADES, TOOK MOST SIGNALS, SET STOPS AND PLANNED TARGETS - DID NOT HOPE FOR MORE
ESSENTIALLY YOU WORKED THE PLAN AND SYSTEM - REMEMBER THAT!!!!

901 - strong buy signal I did not take - concerned about resistance overhead at 1271.25 - some regret now because it was a strong buy to the 50% RET overnight high
926 - 7th trade - buy at 1274.25 r exit target at 1 point 1275.25 + 5 ticks - excellent entry and exit with target
930 am - time for an exercise break back at 1030 am
now 1110 - range bound between 50% fib and %386 for overnight high and today low
my trading trend line is down so will take no buy signals - looking for market to tip its hand - looking at sell setup but will wait and see what happens looks like buy setup coming with target of 1277.50 (.612% of downmove)
1128 8th buy @1276 target 1277.50 hit target not filled exited at 1276.75 + 3ticks
1133 9th buy at 1277.25 - anticipated 1/2 cycle bottom ERROR - explore mindset here what was I thinking if I was thinking at all??? no reason to enter - 7 TICKS early entry
relax - no need to get it back even though I feel that way - that mild urge to get it back
price right at 612 ret line from overnight
1142 - 10t buy at 1277.25 exited at 1277.75 - target was 1278.75 and it was hit but not with me -
exited early - the anxiety of the 612 ret line got to me +2 ticks
1203 11 buy at 1278.25 exited 1278.5 1 tick
off to office

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-15 1ST 2 HOURS 6 TRADES.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	33866   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-15 830 - 1230 6 more and 1 error.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	33953  
Thanked by:

Trankuility 
California

Platform: FxTrade/Ninjatrader
Broker: Oanda/MBT
Trading: Eur/Usd
Thanks Given: 54
Thanks Received: 151

mindfultrader View Post
become aware of the anxiety and then think about what I am doing right now.

More than anything, in both trading and in everyday life, the above has had a huge positive effect.

When I feel anxious, or upset, or any negative emotion that I want to stop feeling I do two things. The first, is to become aware of the present. I do that by touching the fabric of my clothes and noticing the texture, or focusing on the temperature of my breath, etc.. Second, I become aware of the negative emotion I'm feeling. I don't fight it. I just notice it and I watch it. Kind of like I'm watching myself feel my feelings.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal 3-16
638 - 1st sell cyc top in dt great entry - poor exit 1271.50 - 1271.25 +1 tick potential was 3 pt target of 1268.5
Noticing how the 9/27 on my 3000 share bar at 9000 cycle tops and bottoms makes for very good entry signals - curious about that and will investigate later
okay - focus in on what the market is doing - choppy upmove against st down - ttl say change in trading trend but may not confirm
722 noticing temptation to enter just to enter - wow - what a patterned impulse Note that late entries occur when I let that patterned impulse lead my trading
SO THE QUESTION ARISES - WHAT DO I WANT? precision or hope? action or results?
remember yesterday - patterns will emerge
cycle and trading trend are in conflict creating a trading range - wait for them to integrate
738 2nd entry buy at 1274.50 - target = 1275.5 exited early at again great entry - poor exit +1 tick
818 3rd entry - error buy in fast market - quick exit for 4 tick loss - 4 ticks
849 volatile market for me - 4th entry short @1262.75 stopped out @ 1264 - 5 ticks
853 another short 1261.5 stopped out @ 1262.5
I FORCED 2 SHORT TRADES BASED ON THINKING IT WAS GOING TO GO DOWN - IT DID - BUT I DIDN't WAIT FOR THE SETUP - I JUMPED IN WANTING TO MAKE SURE I WAS GOING TO GET AND GOT SPANKED FOR MY ACTIONS
taking a break - exercise - need to chill out for sure - reflecting on what just happened and how!
BACK AFTER EXERCISE - FEEL BETTER 1040
1100 am and I am trigger-shy - doubt myself and my system - this too shall pass
The connection from my hand to my eyes and my head is not working!
1119 - 4th entry short entry at 1245.5 on signal exit at 1244 on exit sig YES + 6 ticks
1148 5th entry long at 1260.25 exit at 1260.75 target was 1262.25 but it was struggling so I exited for + 2 tick gain - held on thru ret - did reach target after 1/2 cyc retracement

1218 6th entry - risky b long at 1260.50 exit 1260.75 luck only + 1tick
Off to the office - will review tonight

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-16 first 90 mins.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	33995   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-16 11- 1230 trades 4-6.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	34010  
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading journal observations based on 2 weeks of journaling:
1. The majority of my losing trades are the result of these errors:
1) entering longs at resistance in downtrends and shorts at support in uptrend
2) anticipating breakouts from consolidation instead of waiting for a confirmation of the breakout
3) holding on to a trade when it is clear I made a mistake and will be stopped out
2. My tendency to want to take every swing in my setup chart ignores the reality in the larger frame - even if a setup is valid, the cycles and price action of the higher chart frame may limit its movement
3. I still do not trust the setups my system identifies even though I tell myself what the signal is telling me to do
4. I exit too early and enter too late and I know there is a correlation between these two issues
655 1st tr early entry on ret - exited for breakeven as it turned down ...then turned up to hit my profit target
why I took this trade - abc pattern on 3t chart for quick scalp
ahh - turned into a identifiable double bottom in structural ut
737 congrats - observed myself moving to enter on a 1.1) above and held back - there was no pattern to trade!
For 2 weeks I have not changed my chart frame (use the 3000, 9000 and 27000 share charts); I made slight change to my indicators and got rid of one I don't need; I have been watching patterns - double tops and bottoms, H&S and swing failure abc's.
I have also redefined the trend in 2 ways: structural trend based on the 27t chart (HH,HL,LH,LL) and trading trend (WEMA 3,9,27,81) with 81ttl as trend indicator line
10 am - 11 am coaching call scheduled and then I will trade sim the rest of the day

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-17 630 - 1000.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	34152  
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal 3-18
Its early in Seattle (5:15AM) Pushed exercise limits yesterday and did a number to my left shoulder - hopefully Aleve will do the trick
As for trading, this day I am trading sim which I did some yesterday - WANT TO HONE MY ENTRY SKILLS AND DON'T WANT TO RISK REAL MONEY DOING IT.
I am watching for:
specific patterns (i.e., double tops and bottoms) within the structural trend and trading trend that correspond with cycle tops and bottoms on the chart frame that is 3x larger than my entries (entry chart 3000 share - setup chart - 9000 share)
618: 1 entered on clear signal at cyc bottom with trend - target 4 ticks - target hit + 4 ticks
the flow of this trade was interesting - clear entry and exit - could have stayed in for 4 more ticks but it is the entries I am focusing on today
632 2 bounce of momentum zl in dt with 10cyc b top perfect sell at 1283.5 exit 1282.5 + 4 ticks
637 3 error bought against ttl down trend duh! -7 ticks
647 4 perfect sell setup - downtrend cycle top + 7 ticks
658 5 10x3 cycle top in dt = perfect sell setup entry at 1281.5 exit for only +1 tick I anticipated support at 1281 and exited early
719 6 sell setup 10x3 cyc top in dt - sold at 1079.5 rode out rough retracement exit 1077.50 + 8 ticks
728 second sell setup as part of retracement did not take it
800 7 10cycle bottom buy in ttl ut - 1281.50 target not cleat - go for 4 ticks exit 1282.50 + 4ticks
waiting for buy setup that looks to be forming - WELL THAT'S HOW MUCH I KNOW - IT WASA 27T CYCLE TOP AND TURNED INTO A CLASSIC TRADER VIC 2B REVERSAL - SELL SETUP CAME AFTER 2BREV AT 819 - VERY INTERESTING - NEGLECTED TO LOOK AT THE MAJOR TREND ON TEH 2700 SHARE CHART
825 SELL SETUP ON 3T DID NOT TAKE
840 I am seeing a correlation in my wema's that I had not seen before - crossovers with cycle confirm and sometimes trigger entries - example is at 842
1009 8 buy setup entry at 1279 - on 1/2 cyc bottom 27t in ttl ut - may be a little early so expect ret - target = 1281.25 stop in place need a close over 1279 yes 1280 may be tough to get over - brief pullback 10 cyc stopped out so my entry was premature
1037 9 I bought at 1279.25 - it was congested - major error in that I held it without a stop - a major loss that was a major opportunity to sell - when the 27 is below the 81 I know not to take buy signals - the 27 has to be over the 81 I let the 27t 1/2 cycle influence my thinking about the entry - i d not need the 1/2 cycles on the 27t
Now I am frustrated that I switched to real money - this is the biggest loss I have suffered in almost 4 years - and I made every classic mistake a trader can make !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a5.5 point loss where was my head???? because it was not trading - it was fearing - and it is really hard to write this paper because I used to be able to hide from this kind of error.
Not a system problem - it signaled me well - biggest mistake - not following my stop loss criteria and waiting for it to turn around
closing up shop for the day - I have done enough damage to myself

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-18 1st 2 hours.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	34249   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-18 MY ERROR BEYOND BELIEF.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	34281  
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

After Big Mike's webinar Staurday, I got to thinking about my trading and the mistake I made on Friday. I can vividly recall the mindset I was in - talking to myself about how the market was soon to turn, telling myself I wanted to minimize my loss - feeling the growing panic in my stomach - when I did give up and gave in to the pain, the market turned around - told myself of course, that is what always happen.
I read in Brett Steenbarger book that the way to develop control is to exercise control - only take one setup instead if looking for 2-4 different setups.

I also realized how I was looking the "trees instead of the forest, one price bar at a time instead of the formation or pattern. I was so focused in on managaing my loss that I was uinable /unwilling to see the bigger picture.

Tomorrow is 3/21 - a new week.

Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal 3-21
Needing to develop my execution skills - both entries and exits Will trade sim today.
700 1st - short 1292.25 in ut - exit loss 1293.25 -4 ticks
705 2nd - long 1294 exit 1294 +3ticks
27t cyc bot in ut with double bot on 3t - bought breakout of small range on 9/27 cross
730 long 1295.50 questionable setup stop out 1294.25 -5 ticks
I made a big dumb mistake on Friday. Right now it is now 9 am PST Monday morning and I want to change everything and experiment with sim trades - I feel like I can't even read a chart - I want to start over - look for better indicators, a different chart frame (maybe tick charts or even time-based the 1 min maybe?) - it is desperate feeling of frustration, disappointment and embarrassment - need to change things, find a better system - Big Mike suggested not to change anything - good idea except that right now I want to change almost everything - I feel lost as if I have never done this before - been here before - the only difference is I am writing about it and owning it - these feeling really suck and I want to run from them by searching for a better indicator, better chart frame, a book, anything to get me out of this feeling - and I feel alone even though I doubt I am - what am I trading - double tops and bottoms, retracements, abc's? - right now I couldn't tell you. Do I go back to basics and start over with just price bars and add indicators to explore their use? I had a system and right now I can't even see it applying.
You have been there - what did you do other than start over, buy another system, apply new indicators, change your chart frame, pretend you'll get through it or deny this urge to escape for these emotions and urges?

I am done for today - I need to just assess the responses I am receiving from the futures.io (formerly BMT) community
to the question I asked about changing everything. Just those is helpful right now.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-21 1500 tick chart.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	34423  
Thanked by:
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal 3-22
Yesterday's responses to my question were unexpected and very grounding for me. Great encouragement and support - this process called trading is very important to me on many levels. One of the most important is my ability to create a plan and follow it - this is a discipline I have avoided. And it is time to do something different if I really want to be a competent trader.
Today I am trading sim to feel what it is like to trade one specific pattern which I will write up and post on my journal. I will then journal how I did following the rules and pots my results daily. I hope I can do this for 2 weeks at least starting 3-22. I will trade real-time starting 3-23.
Trade log date 3-22 - competence score CS (ability to follow plan 1 low - 10 high)
B/S Entry /time
Stop
Target
Exit
Results
Reason for trade - competence score

Trading the cycles bottoms and tops with trend using the 9000 share chart
Chart setup
Price chart - 9000 shares with 3,9, 81 ttl (trading trend line)
Sub-graph 1 - MT-momentum set at 14 trigger line = 100
Sub-graph 2 MT_swing cycle - length of 10
Trend Uptrend - 9 ttl is above 81 ttl or 9 ttl below 81ttl and higher cycle low than prior cycle lows Downtrend - 9ttl is below 81ttl or 9 ttl is above 81 ttl and lower cycle highs than prior cycle highs
BUY Uptrend buy entries -
o 2 bar green candle reversal (doji can be considered part of 2 bar rev)
o cross of 3 above 9 ttl
o 10cycle bottom
if momentum is below -100, wait for mom to cross -100
if momentum is above -100 and below 0,wait for momentum to cross zero
Entry - buy high of trigger bar + 1 tick Stop = low of first 2bar reversal bar
Exit = when 3 ttl turns red and 10 cycle is above 70 line
Target = high of prior cycle top + 2 ticks

SELL Downtrend sell entries -
o 2 bar red candle reversal (doji can be considered part of 2 bar rev)
o cross of 3 below 9 ttl
o 10cycle top
if momentum is above 100, wait for mom to cross below 100
if momentum is below 100 and above 0,wait for momentum to cross below zero
Entry - sell low of trigger bar - 1 tick Stop = high of first 2bar reversal bar
Exit = when 3 ttl turns blue and 10 cycle is below 30 line Target = low of prior cycle bottom - 2 ticks

WHAT I AM AWARE OF AS I WATCH FOR ONE SETUP ONLY IS WHAT I CAN ABOUT THAT ONE SETUP - THE WAY IT REALLY WORKS AND SETS UP AND THEN USE THAT INFO AS FEEDBACK TO IMPROVE WHAT I DO - I COMPARE THSI TO MY SOMETIMES FRANTIC NEED TO WATCH FOR DIFFERENT SETUPS AND ATTEMPT TO TRADE THEM - WATCHING ONE IS A O NOT JUST EASIER IT IS A VERY FOCUSED LEARNING EXPERIENCE FOR ME.
Trade log date 3-22 - competence score CS (ability to follow plan 1 low - 10 high)
B/S Entry /time
Stop
Target
Exit
Results
Reason for trade - competence score
1 S 1291 7:12
+ 4 t
Sell cycle top in dt - exit at s - CS8

2 740

Recognized and did not take sell signal - talked myself out of it CS 2

3 905 S1290.5

-2 T
Took Sell setup did not break down like 2 prior - exited at 81 ttl support - reference this CS 6

4 922 B1292.50

-3 T
Took buy setup - note this was a buy setup in a structural downtrend - CS 6

NOTE ABOUT THESE 4 TRADES

*NOTE TO EXAMINE - I use the 27000 share chart to get a bigger picture of the day's trend
The 27t 10cycles look like they provide a better setup for the 9t trades - for now I will stay with my plan and examine it with new info

5 1107 S1289.75

+ 5 T

Clear sell setup and exit at target CS 9

++Note 1154

Potential sell setup failure with 27t cycle bottom turning up
Avge CS for day

Avge CS score 6.2

*On this day, the entry setups I describe in my 9t trading plan showed up at the 27t 10cycle tops in a structural downtrend (lh, ll) (A and B on the charts). Being aware of this may help to filter out high risk/low reward trades. Although trade # 4 met criteria for a buy setup defined in the trading plan, it was against the larger structural trend and failed. Trade # 3 also met trading plan criteria for a sell but it was first swing down of the 2 that were part of the 27t cycle top.
Trades # 1 and 5 worked well and met all sell criteria - entry setup/trade #2 I recognized and did not take Trades #3 and 4 invite me to examine my trade setup criteria - CS of 6 for each trade though unprofitable
++Note at 1154 - it felt good to have clear criteria to determine a sell setup

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-22 4 entries with 27t tops.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	34577   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-22 27t chart with A and B cycle tops.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	34578  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 16, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts