NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My path of becoming a trader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kingich with 91 posts (61 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Robertczeko with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Eric j with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bermudan Option with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kingich with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Robertczeko with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,764 views
    2. thumb_up 71 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 102 posts
    2. attach_file 129 attachments

Search this Thread

My path of becoming a trader

kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Dukascopy
Broker: Dukascopy SA
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 71

AUDUSD + 95 pips
USDCHF - 80 pips
EURCHF + 147 pips
EURUSD - 100 pips

current closed profit : +62 pips

The markets are non-linear, dynamic systems. Chaos analysis has determined that market prices are highly random with a trend component. The amount of the trend component varies from market to market and from time frame to time frame.

Manus J. Donahue III
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Its funny how all this influences me on subconscious level. I feel like I'm constantly in the market, even when I'm not looking at charts. It's like my brain is processing levels, figures, movements, strategies, plans, what i need to try out, test, look, read, check.....and that happens all the time.

I've over clocked my processor (brain) :-)

This causes me to be really burned out at evenings, cannot really think anymore. Do you have the same problem? Sometimes I even dream trading ...

As much as I'm trying to distance my emotions and myself from trading, it's not quite working. It looks like it took control over me and like an addiction, is always present.

Am I enjoying the trading itself? It's really a hard question. For me it's more like a battle with myself, and a struggle that this is something that has to work out for me, to pull me out of the poverty and uncertain future.

Then I say to myself, did you have to choose the most volatile, uncertain and riskiest business that should get you out of the uncertainty of the corporate jobs and mortgage payments and other shits I’m experiencing... Didn't I should choose something easier instead?

And the answer is I don't know. The expression "It takes money to make money" hit me over the head the other day. I see people earn enormous amounts not risking anything, and I'm here, risking my small savings and putting it on the line of fire, to earn something for a living? I don’t want to be a gambler. But it’s not only the job, it’s also some health problems that I’m experiencing and that are working against me … So here I am, doing exactly what I shouldn’t be doing, trading for money, trading from a pure need.

It’s like it doesn’t work that way. First you need to have money, then you should have the money you don't really need, then you have to learn to trade, and then you could put it in the markets and try out your skills.

So, what I'm doing is completely different. I'm looking at it as a longer term project, but still, there is always doubt, if this is right thing to do?

I read somewhere; this is really hardest easy money you can ever make....

The markets are non-linear, dynamic systems. Chaos analysis has determined that market prices are highly random with a trend component. The amount of the trend component varies from market to market and from time frame to time frame.

Manus J. Donahue III
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

If you are not 100% sure you want to trade, and if you are not 100% sure that you are positioned to succeed in trading, then do not trade.

You should know the answer to those things immediately. If there are challenges like too small a trading account, insufficient time due to other responsibilities, then you really should stop trading until you can address those things.

It is natural to second guess yourself every now and then, but to be successful at trading you really must minimize that. Always be moving forward, not reliving the past. When I dream about trading, I am not dreaming about past trades. I am dreaming about future ones, visualizing the setups, taking them, and being rewarded for it.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Thanks Mike for your quick reply.

I'm sure that I want to trade, but yeah, I'm not 100 % sure that I'm positioned to succeed in trading, for the reasons I've mentioned.

I understand what you're saying, but I doubt I will ever be able to address those things that prevent me being 100 % sure I can succeed - now- , like small trading account and insufficient time, if I don't take that challange.

It's good and natural you dream about the future, since you're proven to yourself that this is right thing what you do and it's working out as planned.

Too many questions I'm running in my head :-)

Big Mike View Post
If you are not 100% sure you want to trade, and if you are not 100% sure that you are positioned to succeed in trading, then do not trade.

You should know the answer to those things immediately. If there are challenges like too small a trading account, insufficient time due to other responsibilities, then you really should stop trading until you can address those things.

It is natural to second guess yourself every now and then, but to be successful at trading you really must minimize that. Always be moving forward, not reliving the past. When I dream about trading, I am not dreaming about past trades. I am dreaming about future ones, visualizing the setups, taking them, and being rewarded for it.

Mike

Manus J. Donahue III
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

I got the impression from your post that you were very uncomfortable with both the size of your trading account and its source of funds. I don't mean to me negative, only realistic. Correct me if I am wrong, by all means.

Those things can certainly change with time, you can improve them. Whereas if you "force the issue" and trade with an undersized account, or trade with funds you cannot stand to lose, you will do yourself harm.

I'm not saying this is you --- but too many people think they can be successful at trading when they really don't ever position themselves to be successful. In retail, it's "location, location, location". In trading it's "risk/money management, psychology, experience". Not as catchy, but all true. I would say it's probably 10% method and 90% the other things, yet most traders feel they failed because of their method (hence why so many are looking for automated systems and holy grails).

Have a good weekend,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Thanked by:
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

You're right absolutely. I'm trading with money I cannot afford to lose, and by obeying all rules and not overleveraging, with an assumption of being successful it would take years to grow to a size where I could say I can now only trade for a living.

I am forcing the issue. That's why I am doubting if I can be successful, and not taking it for granted, like other people, because with having good risk/money management, psychology and experience, it's still not enough!

Thanks, have a nice weekend too! I'll be here to check NFP volatility show!

Manus J. Donahue III
Thanked by:
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Hi everyone,

will post some details afterwards, just to record a new trade.

Entered short EUR/JPY @ 114.79, SL 115.70, TP 113.50.

In attachment I'm providing the chart, possible correction to the 50-100 SMA's, 4h MACD histogram negative.

Also, some bullish hidden divergence on USDCHF, still holding that long from last week.

Manus J. Donahue III
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurjpy.gif
Views:	190
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	32914   Click image for larger version

Name:	usdchf.gif
Views:	198
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	32915  
Thanked by:
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Hi folks!

It's been a active weekend with my son :-) It's good to be back at work :-)

I have 3 open positions now, and that's quite enough for this correlated markets. I'm not sure about opening more positions until I see what will happen with USDCHF and USDCAD, where I'm holding longs.

EURUSD hit long resistance, knowing that it has fundamentals to rise, I'd like to see him around 1,33. It's still under 70 on the RSI. If it breaks the 70 RSI, definitely buy.

GBPUSD also hit it's resistance line, showing slightly bearish divergence on the RSI pointing downward. If I'd have to put money right away, I'd say short.

This USAD cad is showing divergences both on daily and 4h chart, we'll see what happends.

Manus J. Donahue III
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurusd_daily.gif
Views:	189
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	32928   Click image for larger version

Name:	gbpusd.gif
Views:	181
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	32929   Click image for larger version

Name:	usdcad_daily.gif
Views:	222
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	32930   Click image for larger version

Name:	usdcad_4h.gif
Views:	202
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	32931  
Thanked by:

Robertczeko 
FM, Czech Republic

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MT4
Broker: IC Markets
Trading: forex trader
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 264

Hi Kingich,

I am sticking around for couple days and I really like your way of trading, it is clear and "simple" . Keep on it, perfect job. I am watching forex market during my work-hours in job(proxy allows me to use only MT4, cant use ninja), but I cant get used for longer time frames which show more clear movement on markets, nice to see that someone does .

R.

Thanked by:
 kingich 
Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Thanks :-) I've also checked your blog, but cannot say something smart cos I never traded futures, and also, bcos of my job cannot trade short term time frames. Good you can combine those two. Good luck in trading!

Robertczeko View Post
Hi Kingich,

I am sticking around for couple days and I really like your way of trading, it is clear and "simple" . Keep on it, perfect job. I am watching forex market during my work-hours in job(proxy allows me to use only MT4, cant use ninja), but I cant get used for longer time frames which show more clear movement on markets, nice to see that someone does .

R.

Manus J. Donahue III

Last Updated on May 2, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts