NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Blz Trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Blz17 with 30 posts (44 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 8 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 lolu with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 jdella with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Blz17 with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two vast with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 websouth with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,827 views
    2. thumb_up 53 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 28 attachments

Search this Thread

Blz Trading

Blz17 
Seattle

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader Interactive Brokers
Trading: 6B
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 270

jdella View Post
So essentially all you are doing is using a 5 min chart and trading the break of a previous pivot, be it a PH or PL? Am I seeing that correctly? Where are your stops and also the PT, if you have one?

Do you have a daily goal? Thanks Blz,

Jeff

Hi jdella, good questions. You are correct I in essence trade breakouts of previous highs/lows. My stops are set at the previous fractal high/low and I adjust up my stops as new fractals develop. I don't have a profit target on my range breakout trades and fractal reversals. On my 1-2-3 setups I target 21 ticks or more depending on the strength of the move but I don't pursue runners on the 1-2-3 setups. Reason being the first wave gobbles up a substantial part of the move and you may be pushing your luck trying to get a runner out of it. I also never have a stop that is larger than my profit target on my 1-2-3 setups. On the range breakout trades and fractal reversals I shoot for a runner and simply adjust my stops on the way down. Scenario number 1 on the attached pic is in essence how I pull my profits on the runners. Disregard the entries as that diagram is more specific to exitting a failed trade. However, the exit concept is the same. If my runner tags a high or low retraces and then retests that high/low and demonstrates serious hesitation then I'll exit.

Blz

P.S. My trade today was a perfect example of why you take profits on a 1-2-3 setup versus targeting a runner. I was up 25 ticks and ended up breaking even as the trade reversed. I was a bit too tired and forgot I was playing a 1-2-3.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Number 1&2.gif
Views:	348
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2705  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
30 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,607

Thanks to Blz17 for the indicator and idea.

I wanted to make some visual changes and also make the strength of the high/low period adjustable. The original version had a Period fixed at 2, and only drew the first symbol on the chart -- not the subsequent dots.

Download my version here:

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2009-09-25_2046_002.png
Views:	381
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2707   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-25_2046_001.png
Views:	331
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	2708   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-25_2046.png
Views:	322
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2709   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-25_2045.png
Views:	325
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2710  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

vast 
Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Thanks Given: 154
Thanks Received: 62

Mike you are a indicator guru.
Thank you.
I am sure that the additions you have made/added will be a great help.
Thank you

Thanked by:

jdella 
Concord, NH USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja trader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 140
Thanks Received: 115

Blz17 View Post
Hi jdella, good questions. You are correct I in essence trade breakouts of previous highs/lows. My stops are set at the previous fractal high/low and I adjust up my stops as new fractals develop. I don't have a profit target on my range breakout trades and fractal reversals. On my 1-2-3 setups I target 21 ticks or more depending on the strength of the move but I don't pursue runners on the 1-2-3 setups. Reason being the first wave gobbles up a substantial part of the move and you may be pushing your luck trying to get a runner out of it. I also never have a stop that is larger than my profit target on my 1-2-3 setups. On the range breakout trades and fractal reversals I shoot for a runner and simply adjust my stops on the way down. Scenario number 1 on the attached pic is in essence how I pull my profits on the runners. Disregard the entries as that diagram is more specific to exitting a failed trade. However, the exit concept is the same. If my runner tags a high or low retraces and then retests that high/low and demonstrates serious hesitation then I'll exit.

Blz

P.S. My trade today was a perfect example of why you take profits on a 1-2-3 setup versus targeting a runner. I was up 25 ticks and ended up breaking even as the trade reversed. I was a bit too tired and forgot I was playing a 1-2-3.

Blz, thanks for answering my question and please forgive me if this is a totally dumb question, but I'm not clear on what the difference between trading the fractal and trading the 1-2-3. Isn't it the same thing, trading the break of what would actually be point 2 in the 1-2-3 setup?

Blz17 
Seattle

jdella View Post
Blz, thanks for answering my question and please forgive me if this is a totally dumb question, but I'm not clear on what the difference between trading the fractal and trading the 1-2-3. Isn't it the same thing, trading the break of what would actually be point 2 in the 1-2-3 setup?

No problem jdella and there is no such thing as a dumb question. The biggest difference between the 1-2-3 setup versus the fractal reversal is in essence the landscape of the trade. With the 1-2-3 you are looking for pullbacks and breakouts within a primary trend. With the fractal reversal setup you are looking for a topping pattern or bottoming pattern that breaks out/down. With the fractal reversal it's too early to look at the chart and call it a trend so it's a more aggressive trade but it also holds a higher reward potential and thus the reason I play those for a runner.

To be quite honest a lot of it just comes with screen time and practice. I've almost finished reading the entire thread at forexfactory and I think doing that really helped it all sink in (the thread is over 7,000 posts!). I've attached my screenshot from Friday and labeled the one's I consider fractal reversals versus 1-2-3's. Obviously it's easy in hindsight but hopefully it will help you distinguish between the two. Again practice, practice, practice and it starts to sink in.

Hope this helps.

Blz

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6B.png
Views:	340
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	2743  

wh 
Neubrandenburg, Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: R
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 298
Thanks Received: 512

not to much inputs for your brains ... follow the price or volume

all what you need are more then one frame/monitor ... and clear your mind and indicator list

Thanked by:
 Blz17 
Seattle

Snagged 23 ticks on a quick 1-2-3 scalp. Missed quite a few setups this morning. Was a little late and still working on the confidence factor.

Blz

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	300
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2787  
 Blz17 
Seattle

Got one more 1-2-3 setup, good for 20 ticks. Some might be wondering why I'm not trying to let these run. My plan most of the time (remember there are no set in stone rules) is to take 20 ticks or so on 1-2-3's. My fractal reversals is where I shoot for runners.

Blz

UPDATE: Perfect example of why I don't try to run my 1-2-3's. Because the 1-2-3 has already had a significant move down you are pushing your luck for more continuation. This very trade appears to now have bottomed and is moving higher. If it does indeed move higher then my exit was 5 ticks from the bottom.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	315
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	2792  
 Blz17 
Seattle

Attached is a perfect example of how trading number 1 and 2 will save your ass with this style. Hope this helps.

Blz

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	299
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2855  
 Blz17 
Seattle

For my style of trading today was a very boring day. I only took two trades all day and broke even on them both. There was one great setup today but I was in the restroom. That's twice in 1 week that's happened to me. New trading rule for me, no bathroom breaks. Here Mike, I'll save you the trouble of posting this .

Anyone interested in trading this style is highly encouraged to read my previous post. It hits on how to manage a tough trade with this style and shows a trade I took today where I got out break even. Despite my lack of profit (or loss for that matter) today I think I traded quite well as I managed my two trades accordingly and didn't try to force trades.

I will be watching the Japan open as you can frequently catch a single move off the open but gotta be careful as the spreads can get a little wide.

Blz

P.S. There were some great trades on the European session. If I find consistency in my trading and go 100% full time then I'll probably begin trading the European session but it's tough right now being in Seattle and having other priorities.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	294
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	2869  

Last Updated on January 29, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts