NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kinetick vs IB tick data

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Jigsaw Trading with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Blister with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fadi with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two monpere with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,505 views
    2. thumb_up 29 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 29 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Kinetick vs IB tick data

Blister 
St. Augustine Florida

Experience: Beginner
Platform: IB and Option Vue for options. NJ and IQFeed for mini day trading
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 10

I have been using NT with kinetick and IB.

I would like to know which data source is used for actually entering trades via DOM for example?

If kinetick data doesn't perfectly match IB, what good is the data at the moment of truth?

Hopefully my question is clear.

_____
John
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,608

Blister View Post
I have been using NT with kinetick and IB.

I would like to know which data source is used for actually entering trades via DOM for example?

If kinetick data doesn't perfectly match IB, what good is the data at the moment of truth?

Hopefully my question is clear.

There is a specific order in which you need to connect to your data feeds in NinjaTrader. I cannot remember what it is, so someone else will have to comment.

But with the right order, what will happen is that your charts are built with Kinetick data. As for how the DOM is built, actually that's a great question and I don't think I know the answer or have ever read the answer. Obviously the DOM is executed on your broker feed, but as for where the L1 and L2 data is coming from that is displayed on the DOM itself, I do not know. You might need to ask @NinjaTrader.

As for data not matching -- IB data is notoriously poor, this is especially true for any type of chart built on actual tick data (tick chart, volume chart, any kind of non-time based chart more or less). So they aren't going to match. What happens is IB is filtering data in order to lower their resource requirements on their end. But as far as price matching/fill price at the time you submit an order, it will be fine.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Blister 
St. Augustine Florida

Thanks mike, I actually asked this question of NT indirectly. But I was dealing with a first level support tech I'm sure,
I'm aware of the connection order significance.

You are right about the orders I think. They are resident on IBs servers.

Big Mike View Post
There is a specific order in which you need to connect to your data feeds in NinjaTrader. I cannot remember what it is, so someone else will have to comment.

But with the right order, what will happen is that your charts are built with Kinetick data. As for how the DOM is built, actually that's a great question and I don't think I know the answer or have ever read the answer. Obviously the DOM is executed on your broker feed, but as for where the L1 and L2 data is coming from that is displayed on the DOM itself, I do not know. You might need to ask @NinjaTrader.

As for data not matching -- IB data is notoriously poor, this is especially true for any type of chart built on actual tick data (tick chart, volume chart, any kind of non-time based chart more or less). So they aren't going to match. What happens is IB is filtering data in order to lower their resource requirements on their end. But as far as price matching/fill price at the time you submit an order, it will be fine.

Mike

_____
John

Fadi 
Luxembourg

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB / Kinetick
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 667
Thanks Received: 648

Hi
I also use NinaTrader 7 on an IB account and Kinetick datafeed; maybe I can share some of my findings experimenting with the various setups

First, it is fundamental that you connect to Kinetick first, and then to IB.
This will allow you to populate the charts and DOM with Kinetick data, otherwise it will be used as a backup only if that's setup this way in the connection configuration menu.

Also, if you go into the connection setup menu for your IB feed, I usually chose not to use the historical data from IB servers, this ensures that previous candles are only fed from Kinetick, and this speeds up the loading of your charts somehow and avoid many of the errors you can get from IB servers when accessing older data.

Another thing, if you do not subscribe to L2 from Kinetick for example, when you first connect the Kinetick feed, you will have nothing in the DOM and market depth/time&sales windows obviously. But when you connect the IB feed, these three windows will be populated with data from IB

I've used that setup for long time to save on the $20 per month that Kinetick charges for market depth.
The L2 as far as I was concerned was very accurate with IB, but I don't know check for yourself.

Finally, Whenever you place an order through NT7 it goes directly on the IB server and stays there, so you need not be concerned with what data is populating your DOM and so on if you are not buying at market... and even if you are buying at market, the order will still route through IB of course, and they would fill you at any available market price regardless of what you see in your DOM and on your charts; and regardless of what datafeed is used to populate either of the two.

If you have other questions, or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask

Cheers
Fadi

Successful people will do what unsuccessful people won't or can't do!
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Robert Carrillo 
Omaha NE

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: IQFeed compatible
Thanks Given: 234
Thanks Received: 376

Just my .02 on this subject. If one is placing trades from NT DOM populated with IB data, what is the purpose in paying $50/mo for Kinetick chart data? Why not use IB for both?

Asked another way, if one sees value in having charts fed with true tick data (unfiltered and TCP), where is the value in placing actual trades (your $) via DOM using data (filtered and UDP) you don't want for your charts?

Seems to me another $20/mo for Market Depth/Level 2 so that Kinetick populates the DOM just makes sense, whether trading sim or live.

To the best of my knowledge, when a trade fires in NT DOM using Kinetick data, it fires at the Kinetick price, and doesn't care what IB thinks the current price is.

Thanked by:

Blister 
St. Augustine Florida

Excellent question.

_____
John

sands 
London + UK

Platform: Proprietary Analytics
Broker: Multiple broker + Multiple feed
Trading: Currently European and US equities
Thanks Given: 257
Thanks Received: 234

Any more thoughts on this question.

And what are the current costs for having IB for execution and Kinetick for (i) level II price depth and (ii) with the CME markets (e.g., those that are part of the waiver program).

I'm essentially looking to start trading on NT with this setup and as the thread is a bit old I'm hoping to find out if this is still the best option. And what is the average cost other users are experiencing.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

bd92154 
San Diego

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader/Think or Swim
Broker: TDA/Interactive Brokers/ Data Feed TDA & IBK ( Dropped Kinetick)
Trading: Stocks NASDAQ
Thanks Given: 1,542
Thanks Received: 448

sands View Post
What are the current costs for having IB for execution and Kinetick for (i) level II price depth and (ii) with the CME markets (e.g., those that are part of the waiver program).

I'm essentially looking to start trading on NT with this setup and as the thread is a bit old I'm hoping to find out if this is still the best option. And what is the average cost other users are experiencing.

I use Kinetick for TICK and IB for Level II for ES trading.
So far IB has not charged for Level II only on ES.

Here is my Kinetick Bill for JUNE 2014:

I've had some issues in past with Kinetick feed stopping may be due to my platform, may be due to Kinetick. That did not bother me to much.

Also I have seen times where Kinetick does not agree with other providers. Today, my latest, was when Volume was way off for June 2014 contract in relation to CME data. I am still working to chase that one to ground.

Depending on the explanation I get will help me determine to continue or not with Kinetick.
In the past my problems were primarily due to my own inexperience, and granted I still have a long way to go.

Oh since the DOM gets its data from Level II I am fairly certain that my DOM (even though I don't use often as I find I way overtrade in the DOM) gets its feed from IB as I don't pay for Kinetick Level II. Yes the order of connect is important. I have to connect Kinetick first and then IB.

As you can see I'm still wrestling with the issue of Kinetick as a data provider as well. Just no magic ball and since everything runs at blink rate it is tough to know if you really saw what you thought you saw. Well today I know I did as pictures don't lie, and both CME and KINETICK data was captured from a simple screen capture at the same time.

Hope this helps some.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

sands 
London + UK

Platform: Proprietary Analytics
Broker: Multiple broker + Multiple feed
Trading: Currently European and US equities
Thanks Given: 257
Thanks Received: 234

I've looked into the costs more since I last posted and think Kinetic offers a great option cost wise however am disappointed that its NT only service, as I'd ideally like to use elsewhere. Which I guess will push me to an alternative e.g., CQG or DTN.

Thanks for the feedback.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,608

sands View Post
I've looked into the costs more since I last posted and think Kinetic offers a great option cost wise however am disappointed that its NT only service, as I'd ideally like to use elsewhere. Which I guess will push me to an alternative e.g., CQG or DTN.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kinetick is just a cheaper version of IQFeed for NinjaTrader. Just use IQFeed directly if you use more than NinjaTrader. There is also a discount for Elite Members.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on June 12, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts