NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jinhar with 120 posts (591 thanks)
    2. looks_two Slack with 7 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trs3042 with 5 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mxphytlx with 5 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 12.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jinhar with 4.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trs3042 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Slack with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 60,612 views
    2. thumb_up 722 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 207 posts
    2. attach_file 63 attachments

Search this Thread

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Trading: Crue/Tf
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 764

JVentura View Post
Hi Jinjar, thank you so much for the breakdown of your trend following system. I have been trying to develop a trend following system for a few months now but was missing a few key points and was glad to see you broke it down into what you do in the real world. I am still trying to get a handle on risk/money management and have taken a few large losses in CL mostly with a few tiny gains in everything else.

It's also too easy for me to get involved into indicators and programming them which is enjoyable and challenging but not helping my trading.

Using my interpretation of what you explained I entered an "A Setup trade" today as indicated by the screenshots with my actions during the trade. Do you have any tips/advice? I am using a 2 and 6 range chart to keep it small and 34 period ema.

If you show me a winner like that the only thing i can tell is it was an excellent trade .. show me your losers from cl so i can comment more in this trade there is nothing i can add .. one thing that might help you is try to get in nearer to the higher ma .. So i mean to say is get in A setups after the trend is set this trade was lil far but again it was a great a setup .. As i said looking at this trade its perfect your stop placement everything . Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Jinhar

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Here is a review from todays us session potential setups.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 17 Euro review 1.png
Views:	432
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	31182  

papa15 
Wake Forest, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, Investor RT, Ninja Trader
Broker: VanKar
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 583
Thanks Received: 1,248

jinhar
Again, thank you for your thread. I have been using it on sim for a couple of weeks and did some real money trades earlier this week. The sim results were good; the real ones not so much. I went back over your thread today and I think I am seeing my mistakes.
1. You use a 20 tick target and stop on most trades I think. I have been using smaller ones, and several times the stop was hit and then price went with the trend. I think I need to widen both my stop and target.
2. You seem to enter closer to the moving average than I have been doing. I have been putting my entry at least one full bar above the moving average trying to make sure the trend was resuming.
3. I have been taking "A" setups beyond the first and second time price touched the moving average on the smaller time frame; I need to let those go.
4. I did 7 or 8 trades each day Monday thru Wed. I have been overtrading. One trade a day for 10-20 ticks will meet my goal.

If you could, please speak a little more about how you determine your entry point. I want to fine tune my entries to get in closer to the moving average and would like to know a bit more about how you do it.

Thanks
Papa15

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

papa15 View Post
jinhar
Again, thank you for your thread. I have been using it on sim for a couple of weeks and did some real money trades earlier this week. The sim results were good; the real ones not so much. I went back over your thread today and I think I am seeing my mistakes.
1. You use a 20 tick target and stop on most trades I think. I have been using smaller ones, and several times the stop was hit and then price went with the trend. I think I need to widen both my stop and target.
2. You seem to enter closer to the moving average than I have been doing. I have been putting my entry at least one full bar above the moving average trying to make sure the trend was resuming.
3. I have been taking "A" setups beyond the first and second time price touched the moving average on the smaller time frame; I need to let those go.
4. I did 7 or 8 trades each day Monday thru Wed. I have been overtrading. One trade a day for 10-20 ticks will meet my goal.

If you could, please speak a little more about how you determine your entry point. I want to fine tune my entries to get in closer to the moving average and would like to know a bit more about how you do it.

Thanks
Papa15

Will do it by later today need to get some examples i guess because writing it down did not make any sense to me as it was too confusing .. will show it to u on charts later .. Thanks

Best Regards
Jinhar

Thanked by:
 adrian 
Houston, TX

Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: MBT
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 169
Thanks Received: 71

Hi bud. Was a good steady week. I need to continue to work on holding trades longer. Here are my trades for the week. Took a, b and d trades.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-02-18_1004.png
Views:	345
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	31251   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-18_1014.png
Views:	353
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	31253   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-18_1015.png
Views:	310
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	31254  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

adrian View Post
Hi bud. Was a good steady week. I need to continue to work on holding trades longer. Here are my trades for the week. Took a, b and d trades.

Concentrate more on A setups and D . Ur b trades are perfect but now challenge urself / A will give u less heat then the b you just need to wait a lil more and regarding D only you can judge .. you chickened out on D today which worked for 60 ticks . Same yesterday it went around 30+ ticks .. Work on that bud .. Thanks for posting.

Thanked by:

JVentura 
Ventura, California, United St

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Open E Cry (OEC)
Trading: RLM, 6E
Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 16

Jinhar, I had a good day and successfully traded CL today thanks to your guidance, four trades. I started with a simple A setup that was a small profit of 6 pts; I mistook a B setup for an A and took a 15pt loss, not sure if I jumped the gun on it or it was a executed correctly but was just wrong if I can get your input. Took a small break and got up from computer, sat back down and trend change was confirmed and saw Another A setup and took it for 26pts, followed by another A setup for 22pts. Rather than a trailing stop which would have been more profitable I opted to take a limit at a price target and decided to stop for the day not wanting to be greedy or get whipped.

Thanks again and I can't wait for your next series of lessons.
James

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May CL Trades.png
Views:	359
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	31261  
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

JVentura View Post
Jinhar, I had a good day and successfully traded CL today thanks to your guidance, four trades. I started with a simple A setup that was a small profit of 6 pts; I mistook a B setup for an A and took a 15pt loss, not sure if I jumped the gun on it or it was a executed correctly but was just wrong if I can get your input. Took a small break and got up from computer, sat back down and trend change was confirmed and saw Another A setup and took it for 26pts, followed by another A setup for 22pts. Rather than a trailing stop which would have been more profitable I opted to take a limit at a price target and decided to stop for the day not wanting to be greedy or get whipped.

Thanks again and I can't wait for your next series of lessons.
James

Apart from your 2nd long all trades were excellent Entry's and management wise .. On your second trade your smaller time frame Pa was against the long that's y it did not worked. Hope it helps thanks for posting your trades

Best Regards
Jinhar

Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

My daily target is 20 ticks for most of the days and i like to get in one trade and get done most of the time thats what happens .. My stops and money management for most parts are the reason i can do that i keep my daily stop limit at 30 ticks now 30 ticks for the day i do not take a single trade with 20-30 tick stop loss on any single trade i like my stop to be around 10-12 ticks or sometimes 15 but not more then that i like to have options available if that trade does not work .. not this works for me because i am to select my trades very careful i only trade 1st and 2nd A setups and D setups nothing else and so the probability of hitting my daily targets is very very high now Regarding stop loss and my entries my stop loss is always previous swing lows so i look for a setup which are within 15 ticks of the prev swing low or high so for example if i get an A setup and prev swing low or high is 10 ticks away i hit the trade if its greater then that i just pass it on and wait for better A setup thats how i chose my entries .. There are few other entries also but for that i will need to start writing on fibs and support resistance .. Thats for a later date ... for now please work on this i will cover that after i complete day trading example in coming weeks .. i have attached a chart for better example.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Example A setup.png
Views:	411
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	31292  

Robertczeko 
FM, Czech Republic

Platform: MT4
Broker: IC Markets
Trading: forex trader
Thanks Given: 219
Thanks Received: 264

believe or not, I am now primarily looking for signals on RB6, not Rb3 . And it is more powerful, so I hope, that once I will be able to pick up 1,2 trades per day for my daily goal. Thanks for your thread, I hope you will continue, it is really helping me to find my path in trading.

best regards

R.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 22, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts