NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jinhar with 120 posts (591 thanks)
    2. looks_two Slack with 7 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trs3042 with 5 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mxphytlx with 5 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 12.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jinhar with 4.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trs3042 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Slack with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 60,473 views
    2. thumb_up 722 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 207 posts
    2. attach_file 63 attachments

Search this Thread

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

raindrop 
USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader 6.5
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 1

Hi Jinhar,
Nice thread about the trend trading & I appreciate you taking your time sharing your experience with others. I am testing a similar trend trading system with decent entries but I am not sure what to do about exits. My trades last little longer than a daytrade. Lets say my trades can last few hours to a day and many times I exit too early and PA keeps on marching the in the direction of the initial entry, other times trades go into my favor for decent profit but then reverse and become a loser.

There are many strategies to manage a trade, like pyramiding (or scaling-in), trailing stop loss, scaling-out gradually, exit on signal generated by an indicator etc. In your experience what seems to be the best strategy to manage a winning trade? I'd appreciate any hints or tips.
Thanks.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Platform: Ninja
Trading: Crue/Tf
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 764

raindrop View Post
Hi Jinhar,
Nice thread about the trend trading & I appreciate you taking your time sharing your experience with others. I am testing a similar trend trading system with decent entries but I am not sure what to do about exits. My trades last little longer than a daytrade. Lets say my trades can last few hours to a day and many times I exit too early and PA keeps on marching the in the direction of the initial entry, other times trades go into my favor for decent profit but then reverse and become a loser.

There are many strategies to manage a trade, like pyramiding (or scaling-in), trailing stop loss, scaling-out gradually, exit on signal generated by an indicator etc. In your experience what seems to be the best strategy to manage a winning trade? I'd appreciate any hints or tips.
Thanks.

Exits are like deciding what kind of pasta one like's ... its completely dependent on the trader.... for your case i will assume you are a day trader and not a scalper as you said it last for few hours to a day .. So in such situations u have different options .. basic one is Risk/reward wad u can do is take out half at 1:1 and another half at 2:1 or greater..
other option which is use of fibs, ma, pivots or mp whatever u like take out portions at different levels u have on ur chart ... the third option which is common is take it out at fix numbers like 40ticks or wadeva is your daily goal...
but for day trading in ur case i would suggest go with risk reward that will force you to think which kind of trade you want to take and will filter out trades with lower risk reward. u can use fibs pivots or price structure to determine ur exit well in advance before u enter ur trade for example if u are using fib extension when u enter ur trade you already know that u will exit half at 61% extension and 2nd at 100% .. and as this all varies per price action u will be able to make a well informed decision if the trade is worth taking if ur targets are small then u shd pass on the trade . remember there is no need to take each and every signal .. only take trades that make sense . the best option for you to decide what will work is go to your charts and back test different methods say for last 1-2 months and see which exit makes sense and is too your taste... Hope this helps.. Please post some chart example that will make it easier to help you out more . Thanks hope you are having a nice day...

Best Regards
Jinhar

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Bengaltiger 
Pickering, ON

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 147
Thanks Received: 43

Hi Jinhar,

Just wanted to convey a heartfelt and simple 'Thank You' for your effective but simple method. Your explanations in how to manage multiple time frames, using price action as the trading basis and then added stuff (presume largely from your own experience) related to money mangement, trader's mindset, etc. are all things that not only a beginner needs but also the ones who have gone the circle from simple to complex and then back to simple :-)

Wonderful thread - I wish newbies read it, put it to practise, believe in the KISS principle and not spend the $$'s on the bright lights and magical indicators (put the money in the trading a/c instead). Sincerely appreciate you taking the time and effort to share.

Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Thank you all for your kind comments .. I will keep on posting whenever i find something interesting to share .. all the setups are there .. and they are still the same and works well .. Day in day out .. anyone want to share there setups from the day please do .. Those who have question's regarding trading the trend or with setups please post i will try to answer best to my abilities.. .!!! Hope you all are having some fine trading session's .. This are some lovely times to day trade.

Best Regards
Jinhar

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

If any trader is facing difficulties in finding the base in trading and would like to work one on one on it .. let me know .. i will only be able to work with max 1-5 traders not more then that .. And yes it wont cost you a buck apart from ur dedication .. !!! Let me know if any one interested .. .. hope you all are having a great trading month..

Best Regards
Jinhar

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

With base i meant daily Target .. !!!!

Thanked by:

Robonut 
Melbourne, Australia

Trading: oil
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 4

jinhar View Post
If any trader is facing difficulties in finding the base in trading and would like to work one on one on it .. let me know .. i will only be able to work with max 1-5 traders not more then that .. And yes it wont cost you a buck apart from ur dedication .. !!! Let me know if any one interested .. .. hope you all are having a great trading month..

Best Regards
Jinhar

What a class act you are! Thanks for all the information in this thread, and your selfless efforts! I am yet to start trading with real cash, and still working through techniques using historical data, but I have read this thread through and through with great interest. I'm using 5r and 15r charts on CL (just data from the first 6 months of the year at the moment) with an 55 period EMA, and by just eyeballing the charts have found your simple methods seem to work really well. I'm interested in exploring some of the cases where A trades (ones from my understanding I think are A entry points) don't go so well to further refine my understanding. If you are ok with it, as soon as I get to that point (probably take me a week or so to get some examples together) I would like to take you up on your offer and post my examples for discussion.

Thanks again!

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

jinhar View Post

Best Regards
Jinhar

Just an idea for your method, it would be easier if you could make a video of your setups maybe by using a free service like anymeeting . Just an idea. Happy continuation.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,539

@jinhar, would you consider presenting a webinar for futures.io (formerly BMT) members?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Big Mike View Post
@jinhar, would you consider presenting a webinar for futures.io (formerly BMT) members?

Mike

@Big Mike i wont ever say no to you so yes would love to do a webinar for the futures.io (formerly BMT) ... Just i have my doubts on what would i say :P...

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 22, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts