NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jinhar with 120 posts (591 thanks)
    2. looks_two Slack with 7 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mxphytlx with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trs3042 with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ThatManFromTexas with 12.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two jinhar with 4.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trs3042 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Slack with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 60,739 views
    2. thumb_up 722 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 207 posts
    2. attach_file 63 attachments

Search this Thread

A guide to trend trading in its simplest form.

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Trading: Crue/Tf
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 764

Many trader's have asked that question when they are trying to figure out which route to trading to take Trend , Counter trend, range channel trading.... Well i have traded all the above styles over the year and what suits you in the end is completely upto you but what i have noticed while working with new trader's is that trend trading is easy to adapt to your style as rules are flexible compared to range or counter trend trading in which you need to follow your rule set or else trend will kill you.. But in trend trading you are with the trend so specially if you are starting out and you haven't mastered the art of timing your trades in those cases being with the trend will save you 8 out of 10 times specially if you enter at the start of the trend ... trend trading gives you added confident because you know that higher time frame is trending so you are going with the flow of the market's .. Trading in the end of the day is all on the feel good factor so if you are starting out or still finding hard to make your daily bread and butter give it a shot it might be the missing factor in your trading as you can see from above setups its simple to follow you can add your variations it is not rocket science ... it will keep your trading simple and trust me on this in trading simple is just pure gold .... !!!! have a nice weekend this post is just some stuff to think about if you haven't started thinking about trend trading.. Thanks for reading

Best Regards
Jinhar

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

sharky 
MIAMI,FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, tradingview
Broker: Private
Trading: Crypto and natural gas
Thanks Given: 625
Thanks Received: 3,906

i agree i seldom have a trade that doesnt work out but even i get burned sometimes if i try to take a contertrend trade as ive gotten so comfortable in the market going with trend...sharky

KILLING THE MARKETS DAILY
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

jeffman 
Las Vegas NV

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Ninjatrader with CQG
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 117

ThatManFromTexas View Post
You have done an outstanding job explaining this step by step system. I am sure many traders will benefit from your hard work.

I adhere to your mantra to "Keep it Simple. Attached are my trading charts. I use one chart with one indicator in one time frame, on one computer screen.

In the pic below, 3 green lines means look for long opportunity and 3 red lines means look for short opportunities. Two of the lines are 2 different length ema's . The priceline is color coded to exclude chop.

Attachment 29428 Attachment 29429

One of the pics shows the actual chop filter I use. I don't have it on the screen when I trade since it is built into the price line color changes and I keep as few things on the chart as possible.

Attachment 29431

Another way to accomplish the same thing is covered in the pic of an indicator I wrote for Jeff Castille that is

Attachment 29430

I believe that everyone should find what works for them and use it. You have done an excellent job explaining your system.

Regards,
TMFT

TMFT

I love your simplicity. Very nice clean charts. Nothing overwhelming or seemingly complicated. Do you mind sharing some entry/exit rules for trading your charts and indicators ? Many thanks

Thanked by:
Slack
California

Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 42

Jinhar,

I have another question. Do you feel there is an advantage to looking at two different time frame (TF) charts as opposed to using just the lower TF and multiplying a second MA to display the upper TF trend?

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Slack View Post
Jinhar,

I have another question. Do you feel there is an advantage to looking at two different time frame (TF) charts as opposed to using just the lower TF and multiplying a second MA to display the upper TF trend?

There is a huge difference by having a larger chart you will get to know support resistance on that chart whats the overall trend whats the Price action like on the support or resistance .. Longer term area what all .. you cant get all that on just smaller chart .. and also D setup will be hard to spot without the larger chart as it requires close of larger price bar abv the ma smaller one can close below .. And having a chart with just a ma aint gonna harm you its better trust me ..it will take time to adjust but it will help you a lot in long run...

Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

The color gradient is actually functional. It is in-sync with the Color Coded Price line.

Trading is quite simple (like me... ) I trade with the trend and look for trend reversals and or price pullbacks. If I get all 3 lines green I want to go long. But I want to get in as soon after the price pivots/reverses as possible. If it was been several bars since the pivot/reversal before I get 3 green lines, I wait until; price pulls back close to the fast EMA , reverses and heads back in the direction of the trend.

Reverse the process for shorts.

These may help. Good luck!

Regards,
TMFT

TMFT,

The CloseLine.cs seems to contain plots for both dots and lines with dots correctly plotting in up/down colors, whilst the line just plots only in yellow color (see my attached screenshot). I suppose you mean the CloseLine should plot ONLY the line in up/down color, whilst the CloseDot should plot ONLY the dots in up/down color. Could you have a look at the posted .cs files again ?

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChartToTMFT_2011-01-31_1021.png
Views:	315
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	29687  
Thanked by:

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Here is the trade i took for 25 ticks .. I had to wait for the pa to get back in sync with the trend and then a pull back to the ma to get the A setup Dint get any pullback back to the low's for the D anyways i will take an A setup any day .. So here is the trade ... Hope you all are doing great .. Thanks for reading. Will post a potential setup from us session later on once we are done .. till then m gonna enjoy .. hehhee

Best Regards
Jinhar

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A setup from today's trading.png
Views:	441
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	29702  
Slack
California

Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 42

jinhar View Post
Here is the trade i took for 25 ticks .. I had to wait for the pa to get back in sync with the trend and then a pull back to the ma to get the A setup Dint get any pullback back to the low's for the D anyways i will take an A setup any day .. So here is the trade ... Hope you all are doing great .. Thanks for reading. Will post a potential setup from us session later on once we are done .. till then m gonna enjoy .. hehhee

Best Regards
Jinhar

Did you pass on the prior pullback because you saw some overhead resistance?

Also, do you move your SL during the trade?

Thanks.

jinhar 
mumbai maharashtra/india

Slack View Post
Did you pass on the prior pullback because you saw some overhead resistance?

Also, do you move your SL during the trade?

Thanks.

Prior pullback pa was against the trend so no a setup remember u need to have pa with the trend ..

Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

The color gradient is actually functional. It is in-sync with the Color Coded Price line.

Trading is quite simple (like me... ) I trade with the trend and look for trend reversals and or price pullbacks. If I get all 3 lines green I want to go long. But I want to get in as soon after the price pivots/reverses as possible. If it was been several bars since the pivot/reversal before I get 3 green lines, I wait until; price pulls back close to the fast EMA , reverses and heads back in the direction of the trend.

Reverse the process for shorts.

These may help. Good luck!

Regards,
TMFT

TMFT,

Have you had a look at my post #56 of this thread and in respect of the CloseLine.cs indicator ?

Lolu

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 22, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts