NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A Traders Diet (What do you eat?)

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one stephenszpak with 39 posts (16 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 36 posts (37 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 18 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MetalTrade with 9 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jeff Castille with 4.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 stephenszpak with 0.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 49,765 views
    2. thumb_up 160 thanks given
    3. group 38 followers
    1. forum 228 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

A Traders Diet (What do you eat?)

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 144
Thanks Received: 356

Zondor View Post

High blood levels of insulin due to sugary foods and excessive carbohydrate consumption are the hallmark of a diet that efficiently produces obesity and degenerative disease.

Eating a lot of small meals can be counterproductive, causing insulin and blood sugar levels to remain elevated for longer periods of time.

stephenszpak View Post

The accepted advice is (or was?) to eat 6 or so tiny meals a day. I do agree that it is easy to eat something that will
cause the blood sugar to rise, and then fall. Then you feel worse than before you ate. I think that having
just 2 or 3 cups of water helps sometimes. At least with me.

I think Jack LaLanne lived to 96. Genetics are tremendously important regarding longevity, but I don't
think the technology to change our genes in a meaningful way is on the horizon? So we have to make do
with what we have.

Jack LaLanne ate 2 meals a day:

Diet

LaLanne blamed overly processed foods for many health problems. He advocated a mostly meatless diet but which included fish (see Pescetarianism), and took vitamin supplements.

He ate two meals a day and avoided snacks. His breakfast, after working out for two hours, consisted of hard-boiled egg whites, a cup of broth, oatmeal with soy milk and seasonal fruit. For dinner he and his wife typically ate raw vegetables and egg whites along with fish. He did not drink coffee.

Jack LaLanne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zondor View Post

The ONLY proven way to extend the useful and vital portion of lifespan is calorie restriction, proven in all species.Right now my body fat is around 15% and I am slowly losing. Resisting the temptation to buy and use high carb calorie sources such as bread and pasta seems to help.

stephenszpak View Post

I have heard of calorie restriction to extend lifespan. I don't know if that slows down a person
physically and mentally though. I just looked up 'calorie'. Apparently the definition is:

calorie - a unit of food energy

(Unless I misunderstood what I found.)

There is a link by you about exercise. I don't know what you do, I don't think you mentioned it.

I have 4 upper body weight lifting
exercises that I do. It really helps. (Also a small amount of running/walking.) As I'm sure you realize,
you can't have a reasonably decent upper body by even the best diet. The muscles have to be worked,
stressed, whatever wording is appropriate.

Your link about exercise is here if anyone wants to check it out:

Art's Essay on Evolutionary Fitness - Arthur De Vany Members

- Stephen

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

The post below is about blood pressure only.

I did a search at futures.io (formerly BMT) and found little regarding blood pressure. I think this
would be a good place to put some basics instead of starting a new thread.
Most of those that are reading this thread already have a concern about their
health. Though I suppose the main reason for my researching and posting what is below
is so that I learn something about the subject.

==========================================================

Blood pressure

Blood pressure (BP) is the pressure exerted by circulating blood upon the walls of blood vessels, and is one of the principal vital signs. When used without further specification, "blood pressure" usually refers to the arterial pressure of the systemic circulation. During each heartbeat, blood pressure varies between a maximum (systolic) and a minimum (diastolic) pressure.[1]

A person's blood pressure is usually expressed in terms of the systolic pressure over diastolic pressure (mmHg), for example 140/90.

Normal

... in a study of 100 human subjects with no known history of hypertension, an average blood pressure of 112/64 mmHg was found,[7] which are currently classified as desirable or "normal" values.

Various factors, such as age and gender influence average values, influence a person's average blood pressure and variations. In children, the normal ranges are lower than for adults and depend on height.[8] As adults age, systolic pressure tends to rise and diastolic tends to fall.[9] In the elderly, blood pressure tends to be above the normal adult range,[10] largely because of reduced flexibility of the arteries. Also, an individual's blood pressure varies with exercise, emotional reactions, sleep, digestion and time of day.

The risk of cardiovascular disease increases progressively above 115/75 mmHg.

Measurement

Arterial pressure is most commonly measured via a sphygmomanometer, which historically used the height of a column of mercury to reflect the circulating pressure.[24] blood pressure values are generally reported in millimetres of mercury (mmHg)...

For each heartbeat, blood pressure varies between systolic and diastolic pressures.

Hypertension refers to arterial pressure being abnormally high, as opposed to hypotension, when it is abnormally low.

Along with body temperature, respiratory rate, and pulse rate, blood pressure is one of the four main vital signs routinely monitored by medical professionals and healthcare providers.

Home monitoring

When measuring blood pressure, an accurate reading requires that one not drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, or engage in strenuous exercise for 30 minutes before taking the reading. A full bladder may have a small effect on blood pressure readings; if the urge to urinate exists, one should do so before the reading. For 5 minutes before the reading, one should sit upright in a chair with one's feet flat on the floor and with limbs uncrossed. The blood pressure cuff should always be against bare skin, as readings taken over a shirt sleeve are less accurate. During the reading, the arm that is used should be relaxed and kept at heart level, for example by resting it on a table.[40]

Since blood pressure varies throughout the day, measurements intended to monitor changes over longer time frames should be taken at the same time of day to ensure that the readings are comparable.

The above are excerpts from:

Blood pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
==============================================================================

Hypertension

Hypertension (HTN) or high blood pressure, sometimes arterial hypertension, is a chronic medical condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is elevated. This requires the heart to work harder than normal to circulate blood through the blood vessels.

Hypertension is a major risk factor for stroke, myocardial infarction (heart attacks), heart failure, aneurysms of the arteries (e.g. aortic aneurysm), peripheral arterial disease and is a cause of chronic kidney disease. Even moderate elevation of arterial blood pressure is associated with a shortened life expectancy. Dietary and lifestyle changes can improve blood pressure control and decrease the risk of associated health complications, although drug treatment is often necessary in people for whom lifestyle changes prove ineffective or insufficient.

Signs and symptoms

Hypertension is rarely accompanied by any symptoms, and its identification is usually through screening, or when seeking healthcare for an unrelated problem. A proportion of people with high blood pressure reports headaches (particularly at the back of the head and in the morning), as well as lightheadedness, vertigo, tinnitus (buzzing or hissing in the ears), altered vision or fainting episodes.[9]

Primary hypertension

Primary (essential) hypertension is the most common form of hypertension, accounting for 90–95% of all cases of hypertension.

Secondary hypertension

Secondary hypertension results from an identifiable cause. Renal disease is the most common secondary cause of hypertension.[11] Hypertension can also be caused by endocrine conditions, such as Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, acromegaly, Conn's syndrome or hyperaldosteronism, hyperparathyroidism and pheochromocytoma.[11][31] Other causes of secondary hypertension include obesity, sleep apnea, pregnancy, coarctation of the aorta, excessive liquorice consumption and certain prescription medicines, herbal remedies and illegal drugs.

Prevention

maintain normal body weight for adults (e.g. body mass index 20–25 kg/m2)

reduce dietary sodium intake to <100 mmol/ day (<6 g of sodium chloride or <2.4 g of sodium per day)

engage in regular aerobic physical activity such as brisk walking (≥30 min per day, most days of the week)

limit alcohol consumption to no more than 3 units/day in men and no more than 2 units/day in women

consume a diet rich in fruit and vegetables (e.g. at least five portions per day);

consume a diet with reduced content of saturated and total fat

Effective lifestyle modification may lower blood pressure as much an individual antihypertensive drug.

The above are excerpts from:

Hypertension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this was useful. It's just a small part of the human body's owners manual.

- Stephen

Thanked by:
craig1928
Dublin

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 3

Absolute rubbish and plenty of drink at the weekend.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

craig1928 View Post
Absolute rubbish and plenty of drink at the weekend.

or

or

or

I must admit that I only have tried the last one... But then I have tried it quite regularly and I am still undecided whether I really like it, that is why I am trying again and again.

craig1928
Dublin

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 3

All the above.

Sunil P 
los angeles

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nt
Trading: cl

Well until the gallbladder,liver,stomach etc etc says otherwise.

(speaking from experience also)

Moderation via balance.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Wojo 
Chappaqua, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SC
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 6

Breakfast: Hot and Spicy Chex Mix, Slim Jim (Min. 24" stick) and a can of Monster Rehab.

Lunch: Wendy's Double Baconator. Large Combo. Or Burritos.

Dinner: Taco Salad made with Canned Hormel Chili, and Beer.

My diet does vary from this menu, but for the most part this or similar fare is the standard.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

Wojo View Post
Breakfast: Hot and Spicy Chex Mix, Slim Jim (Min. 24" stick) and a can of Monster Rehab.

Lunch: Wendy's Double Baconator. Large Combo. Or Burritos.

Dinner: Taco Salad made with Canned Hormel Chili, and Beer.

My diet does vary from this menu, but for the most part this or similar fare is the standard.

Dessert: Heart attack.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Gary 
Near Dallas, Texas, US

Broker: ZenFire
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 502
Thanks Received: 2,239

Breakfast
Protein Shake: Vanilla low-carb whey protein, frozen banana, peanut butter, oatmeal, and some soy milk.

Lunch
Salad: Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and some home made vinaigrette dressing.

Dinner
Varies: Usually some meat, some veggies, some kind of carb, and just try to focus on keeping the portions down. The wife makes it easy to enjoy dinner as she is great at some soups, salmon, among other things.

Drinks:
Mostly water, and an occasional iced soy latte.

Weekends:
Now, non-trading days, AKA, the weekends, I may venture off a bit from this diet. It may possibly include some Jack Daniels or a nice Malbec with some steak, potatoes, and an occasional dessert. This food is not good for the body, but is good for the soul.

Exercise 4+ times a week for an hour+ to help offset the weekends. Haha!

Gary

As consistently profitable traders.. "We get paid to wait, and we wait to get paid."
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

The excerpt below is from an old book I have by Dominick Bosco:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a continuum between severe illness and optimum health. We're all
somewhere on that continuum, and we all want to move toward optimum
health and away from illness.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken some information from wikipedia and put it below. I think it's
important for some to realize that you can still be alive, yet be trashed.

Stroke

A stroke, also known as a cerebrovascular accident (CVA), is the rapid loss of brain function(s) due to disturbance in the blood supply to the brain.

A stroke is a medical emergency and can cause permanent neurological damage, complications, and death. It is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States and Europe and the second leading cause of death worldwide.

Hypertension accounts for 35-50% of stroke risk.

High blood pressure is the most important modifiable risk factor of stroke.

Care and rehabilitation

Stroke rehabilitation is the process by which patients with disabling strokes undergo treatment to help them return to normal life as much as possible by regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living.

For most stroke patients, physical therapy (PT), occupational therapy (OT) and speech-language pathology (SLP) are the cornerstones of the rehabilitation process. Often, assistive technology such as a wheelchair, walkers, canes, and orthosis may be beneficial.

Stroke rehabilitation should be started as quickly as possible and can last anywhere from a few days to over a year.

Complete recovery is unusual but not impossible and most patients will improve to some extent: proper diet and exercise are known to help the brain to recover.

Prognosis

Disability affects 75% of stroke survivors enough to decrease their employability.[114] Stroke can affect patients physically, mentally, emotionally, or a combination of the three. The results of stroke vary widely depending on size and location of the lesion.[115] Dysfunctions correspond to areas in the brain that have been damaged.

Some of the physical disabilities that can result from stroke include muscle weakness, numbness, pressure sores, pneumonia, incontinence, apraxia (inability to perform learned movements), difficulties carrying out daily activities, appetite loss, speech loss, vision loss, and pain. If the stroke is severe enough, or in a certain location such as parts of the brainstem, coma or death can result.

Emotional problems resulting from stroke can result from direct damage to emotional centers in the brain or from frustration and difficulty adapting to new limitations. Post-stroke emotional difficulties include anxiety, panic attacks, flat affect (failure to express emotions), mania, apathy, and psychosis.

30 to 50% of stroke survivors suffer post stroke depression, which is characterized by lethargy, irritability, sleep disturbances, lowered self esteem, and withdrawal.[116] Depression can reduce motivation and worsen outcome, but can be treated with antidepressants.

Emotional lability, another consequence of stroke, causes the patient to switch quickly between emotional highs and lows and to express emotions inappropriately, for instance with an excess of laughing or crying with little or no provocation. While these expressions of emotion usually correspond to the patient's actual emotions, a more severe form of emotional lability causes patients to laugh and cry pathologically, without regard to context or emotion.[114] Some patients show the opposite of what they feel, for example crying when they are happy.[117] Emotional lability occurs in about 20% of stroke patients.

Cognitive deficits resulting from stroke include perceptual disorders, speech problems, dementia, and problems with attention and memory. A stroke sufferer may be unaware of his or her own disabilities, a condition called anosognosia. In a condition called hemispatial neglect, a patient is unable to attend to anything on the side of space opposite to the damaged hemisphere.

Up to 10% of all stroke patients develop seizures, most commonly in the week subsequent to the event; the severity of the stroke increases the likelihood of a seizure.

============================================================

Much much more is here:

Stroke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Stephen

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 17, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts