NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Changing from Forex to Futures and need some advice.

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one gracepips with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two mattz with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 MetalTrade with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 6,718 views
    2. thumb_up 4 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 14 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Changing from Forex to Futures and need some advice.

gracepips
Northern Ireland, UK

Thanks Given: 76
Thanks Received: 43

This is where I’m up to so far but glad to be corrected or advised:…..

I’ve been doing my rounds on the forums and reading articles for a good Futures brokers/platform and data feed.
Seems there is no “best” one and that makes sense of course we all have different needs. As I have changed my mind from one to the other, Mirus Futures / Zen fire / Ninjatrader 7 seems to be so far the best mix for me.
Interactive Brokers (who I hear mostly good about) just didn’t reply to my emails and this was the same for Amp Futures and Optimus Futures. This was important for me as a Futures newbie who trades fulltime I needed to feel confident in having good and quick support. Though I am a newbie regarding futures from what I’ve read, if the cost is the same, its better to have an unfiltered data feed if you can. Mirus/Zenfire ticks this box against IB. Mirus also was very quick in answering my emails fully and I was impressed.

I have never used Ninja just MT4 with forex and again I know platforms have loyal followings so I was interested to read how Mike has moved from NT to Multicharts. MC costs are about $100/mth compared to NT $60 and to be honest I like the look of NT charts better. Also I trade of the charts so I liked the chart trader function in NT7.

I know commission costs are important but since I’m just beginning to move from being a BE trader to a consistently profitable one, I mainly want to feel comfortable and confident in my setup. That said, Mirus emailed me the following;…….

"We offer volume based discounts after the first 500 roundturns every month with rates for FX starting at $5.34/rt "

I’m guessing this is fairly average and is in the ball park, so ok, what do you think? With me still trying to get my head around Futures compared to Forex has anyone used Kenetick and how would it stack up against my Mirus Futures / Zen fire / Ninjatrader 7 I still need to understand better the exchange discount set up some broker have but Mirus does not and how this impacts me. Any advice on this? I came across this video any comments?

Well I’ve much more to ask but I think that’s enough for now and thanks for any advice offered;-)

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks

redratsal 
Milan (I)

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: FDAX,6E,CL,YM,NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 1,215
Thanks Received: 2,090

gracepips View Post

I’ve been doing my rounds on the forums and reading articles for a good Futures brokers/platform and data feed.
Seems there is no “best” one and that makes sense of course we all have different needs. As I have changed my mind from one to the other, Mirus Futures / Zen fire / Ninjatrader 7 seems to be so far the best mix for me.
Interactive Brokers (who I hear mostly good about) just didn’t reply to my emails and this was the same for Amp Futures and Optimus Futures. This was important for me as a Futures newbie who trades fulltime I needed to feel confident in having good and quick support. Though I am a newbie regarding futures from what I’ve read, if the cost is the same, its better to have an unfiltered data feed if you can. Mirus/Zenfire ticks this box against IB. Mirus also was very quick in answering my emails fully and I was impressed.

I have never used Ninja just MT4 with forex and again I know platforms have loyal followings so I was interested to read how Mike has moved from NT to Multicharts. MC costs are about $100/mth compared to NT $60 and to be honest I like the look of NT charts better. Also I trade of the charts so I liked the chart trader function in NT7.

I know commission costs are important but since I’m just beginning to move from being a BE trader to a consistently profitable one, I mainly want to feel comfortable and confident in my setup. That said, Mirus emailed me the following;…….

"We offer volume based discounts after the first 500 roundturns every month with rates for FX starting at $5.34/rt "

I’m guessing this is fairly average and is in the ball park, so ok, what do you think? With me still trying to get my head around Futures compared to Forex has anyone used Kenetick and how would it stack up against my Mirus Futures / Zen fire / Ninjatrader 7 I still need to understand better the exchange discount set up some broker have but Mirus does not and how this impacts me. Any advice on this? I came across this video any comments?

Well I’ve much more to ask but I think that’s enough for now and thanks for any advice offered;-)

Hi gracepips,

In your search Consider margin requirements and securities account protection as well

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
gracepips
Northern Ireland, UK

redratsal View Post
Hi gracepips,

In your search Consider margin requirements and securities account protection as well

mmmmh, good point. I need to check the margins out, though I only use 1% max (often 0.5%) of my capital per trade and never hold overnight, don't know if that will ease things for me?

The account security is a major point and thanks for reminding me of this. I'm from the UK so I wonder how this affects me having a US Futures account? Setting aside my UK status is there a certain standard US futures brokers are classified as to their financial soundness and does the US have a protection scheme like the UK does where my capital up to £30,000ish is guaranteed by the Uk government? Food for thought......Thanks

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,353

Gracepips,

You can setup a free NinjaTrader/Zenfire demo account through Mirus and do most functions except actually send live orders. The datafeed will be the same as what you would see with an active account. That might give you a better idea of what you would be getting before making a commitment.

Regards,
TMFT

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
gracepips
Northern Ireland, UK

ThatManFromTexas View Post
Gracepips,

You can setup a free NinjaTrader/Zenfire demo account through Mirus and do most functions except actually send live orders. The datafeed will be the same as what you would see with an active account. That might give you a better idea of what you would be getting before making a commitment.

Regards,
TMFT

Thanks TMFT, I have just downloaded the Mirus NT demo and all is working well but its a whole new learning curve again. I was in Fort Worth 20 years ago, great place and very friendly people, liked it alot....

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

gracepips View Post

Interactive Brokers (who I hear mostly good about) just didn’t reply to my emails and this was the same for Amp Futures and Optimus Futures....Any advice on this? I came across this video any comments?

I sincerely apologize that no one at our firm got back to you, we try to answer as fast as we can.
Digging through my emails I cant find anything related to this topic.
Please PM with any questions you might have or drop us another email.

I do not offer MT at the moment, but very familiar with the application.
We can help you find a platfrom based on objective advice without preference with one over another.

Please mention in the subject futures.io (formerly BMT) to get an expedited response.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
gracepips
Northern Ireland, UK

mattz View Post
I sincerely apologize that no one at our firm got back to you, we try to answer as fast as we can.
Digging through my emails I cant find anything related to this topic.
Please PM with any questions you might have or drop us another email.

I do not offer MT at the moment, but very familiar with the application.
We can help you find a platfrom based on objective advice without preference with one over another.

Please mention in the subject futures.io (formerly BMT) to get an expedited response.

Thanks Mattz, I've PM'd the original email I sent. I look forward to hearing from you........

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

gracepips View Post
Thanks Mattz, I've PM'd the original email I sent. I look forward to hearing from you........

Got it! I will reply to your email directly today. I have made search for your origianl email and never found it.
Again, thank you for your patince and courtesy on this matter.

Matt

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
gracepips
Northern Ireland, UK

Update: For the sake of fairness I need to add that Matt from Optimus www.optimusfutures.com has now contacted me and answered all my questions in a full and courteous manner. Still some pondering to do but some progress made as well..............hey its way past my bedtime......

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 30, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts