NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tundi's ATS

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Tundi with 34 posts (11 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 14 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 gulabv with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 10,647 views
    2. thumb_up 18 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 53 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Tundi's ATS

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Tundi View Post
Prior to today, my expectations exceeded the results. Granted, three weeks of testing isn't a large sample. Even considering the flaws in NT's backtester, I was overly optimistic. I'm hopeful the new tweaks will continue to produce results like today's which are decent (especially in FDAX which are incorrectly quoted by NT in USD rather than Euros and thus understated.)

My baseline for success is $2500/month/one contract/instrument after commission. Scaling to 5-10 contracts per instrument is the goal.

I think that alone will create substantial changes to your instruments. EMD will not handle 10 on limit orders in my opinion.

I think what you will find is that your larger orders will only get filled when you are to make a loss unless your stops are large?

Buy @ Ask, Sell @ Bid will get you filled.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
Tundi
Fullerton, CA

Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 98

bluemele View Post
I think that alone will create substantial changes to your instruments. EMD will not handle 10 on limit orders in my opinion.

I think what you will find is that your larger orders will only get filled when you are to make a loss unless your stops are large?

Buy @ Ask, Sell @ Bid will get you filled.

Currently, I enter at Limit which is the price at the close of the trigger bar. My fill rate is about 65%. As far as exits go, it's market which is anywhere from +1-2 ticks from the close of trigger bar. The latest tweaks have reduced the number of trades and increased the average price per trade which is constructive.

There may be an opportunity to improve exit price with an ATR trailing stop based on Jurik MA. This is on the plate for testing.

Tundi
Fullerton, CA

I spent the day watching charts and adjusting the STJMA indicator to improve exits over what's in the current code. I have my work cut out for me.

I've also given more thought to @ bluemele's suggestion to enter buy at ask and sell at bid and have rejected there idea given the lack of depth in the instruments under review. There are times when the spread exceeds a tick and one or two contracts are bid or offered. In these situations I don't think the fill will be better than a market order. I dread the thought of taking slippage on both entries and exits. For now, I'll stick with limits on the entry and try +1 tick limit on exits.

Perhaps I can't have it both ways: a system that effectively takes small, manageable losses and captures runners in volatile instruments without too much slippage. We'll see.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Tundi View Post
I spent the day watching charts and adjusting the STJMA indicator to improve exits over what's in the current code. I have my work cut out for me.

I've also given more thought to @ bluemele's suggestion to enter buy at ask and sell at bid and have rejected there idea given the lack of depth in the instruments under review. There are times when the spread exceeds a tick and one or two contracts are bid or offered. In these situations I don't think the fill will be better than a market order. I dread the thought of taking slippage on both entries and exits. For now, I'll stick with limits on the entry and try +1 tick limit on exits.

Perhaps I can't have it both ways: a system that effectively takes small, manageable losses and captures runners in volatile instruments without too much slippage. We'll see.

Well, there is the split of that. instead of buy/ask, sell/bid you could:

buy/bid-1, sell/ask+1

Common using Tradestation and built in. I think it is called a JOIN order if I can recall.

Tundi
Fullerton, CA

bluemele View Post
Well, there is the split of that. instead of buy/ask, sell/bid you could:

buy/bid-1, sell/ask+1.

It's been a long day. I don't understand this. If I'm exiting a long isn't sell/ask+1 a one tick limit above the market?

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Tundi View Post
It's been a long day. I don't understand this. If I'm exiting a long isn't sell/ask+1 a one tick limit above the market?

I was talking about entry, not exit.

The point is move it to bid/ask -1/+1 or whatever to get you a better chance of getting filled is all I am saying. If the bid/ask spread is too far apart (sometimes greater than 1) than you are saying that is almost 'market', well I am saying that if you do bid/ask w/ 1 offset your chances of getting filled are much better. I always do market exit but you could do the same here is they are too far apart.

Sometimes the 1 offset will be the same as just using bid/ask but sometimes not like you pointed out.

Thanked by:

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,353

bluemele View Post
I was talking about entry, not exit.

The point is move it to bid/ask -1/+1 or whatever to get you a better chance of getting filled is all I am saying. If the bid/ask spread is too far apart (sometimes greater than 1) than you are saying that is almost 'market', well I am saying that if you do bid/ask w/ 1 offset your chances of getting filled are much better. I always do market exit but you could do the same here is they are too far apart.

Sometimes the 1 offset will be the same as just using bid/ask but sometimes not like you pointed out.

Interesting thread. Brought back memories from my early trading days. Good Luck!

Word of advice:

When Bluemele talks trading ... listen. (Of course when he starts talking about eating that dang raw fish... feel free to tune out... I know I certainly do... )

I understand what you are trying to accomplish by using the Limit Orders and Stop Limit Orders and it theory it is great. But sometimes the market just won't cooperate.

From my personal experience as a discretionary trader; I use Limits and Stop Limits on all my orders, and I trend trade and don't scalp. But I have seen the price bump my Limit/Stop Limit order 3 or 4 times and not get filled and finally turn back . Then I either have to hit a market order real quick or watch in disgust as price continues to move away.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
Thanked by:
Tundi
Fullerton, CA

Today I ran parallel trades with Limit and +1 for entries and wouldn't you know it, each Limit trade was filled, so there was no benefit to the +1 fills. On the contrary, it turned out to be a tad expensive paying that additional tick! The thought process is, of course, to get trades I would miss with Limit. I'll try again for the next week or so to see if there is a benefit to +1. All exits were at Market. Also, all trading ends at 12:00ET. This is a new rule.

I have more work here. First, to learn if the Jurik ATR trailing stop is better than Market and to see what the effect of setting daily max gains and losses.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12611.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	29350  

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Tundi View Post
Today I ran parallel trades with Limit and +1 for entries and wouldn't you know it, each Limit trade was filled, so there was no benefit to the +1 fills. On the contrary, it turned out to be a tad expensive paying that additional tick! The thought process is, of course, to get trades I would miss with Limit. I'll try again for the next week or so to see if there is a benefit to +1. All exits were at Market. Also, all trading ends at 12:00ET. This is a new rule.

I have more work here. First, to learn if the Jurik ATR trailing stop is better than Market and to see what the effect of setting daily max gains and losses.

Sounds like you have figured it out. One thing you can do to, but just a comment, not a recommendation is that I believe you can create an ATM in Ninja and call it. So you can set up a 'if touched' to move to move your limit entry. I think they call it 'chase' in advanced properties on the DOM/Chart Trader.

Just trying to help.

Thanked by:
Tundi
Fullerton, CA

Today was the first one in which all trading stopped at 12:00ET and I really enjoyed it. Win, lose or draw at 12:00, the doors are closed and I'm free to do other things. Although I can't prove it, it seems as though most of the movement takes place before noon anyway.

I'm revisiting a few of the instruments previously rejected to see if they perform better with the new and improved indicator settings. Also, I'm starting to test the other FX futures. 6A was traded today. There may be some merit with these despite lower volatility--when they make a trend move, it's a good one as shown in the attachment.

Lastly, I started using max daily profit/loss targets and FDAX hit its loss goal early. At first I had mixed feelings about not trading it for the rest of the session, thinking the system would win back the losses, but that's just wishful folly. The system could have easily continued to lose. So, mission one is to follow the rules and ignore the banter in my mind.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12711.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	29438   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A_03-11_(2_RangeNoGap)__1_27_2011.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	29439  
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on February 16, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts