NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Johnny's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JohnnyAustin with 217 posts (324 thanks)
    2. looks_two tderrick with 41 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 26 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 13 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JohnnyAustin with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 45,377 views
    2. thumb_up 386 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 325 posts
    2. attach_file 102 attachments

Search this Thread

Johnny's Journal

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp and Zenfire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 435

It seems to me that while it is a great mover, the potential that can be had with the YM as compared to the TF just isn't there. That said, I'm working mainly on trading 1 contract. If it were 10-15 contracts, I can definitely see the increased potential and usefulness. The honesty of the YM and TF are fantastic, as the pullbacks on the ES annoyed me greatly as I couldn't be sure if I was in a position in the right direction, often causing me to get out of a position too early to ensure profits.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

And my day is done. I'm looking at the movement and while it is generally long, volatility is up and I'm out. Lotsa blue bars I see and getting mixed up in that movement is too much risk for me. After all, it is all about protecting your capital right? And today has been a great day of accumulating capital.

Average winning trade is 1 point. Traded a bit on the YM today, made 15 points with a 100% win ratio.

I upped the contracts today to 3 until the last few minutes and was happy with the fill's although I did see two instances of slippage and a no-fill on a singular closing trade of 1 contract. I also made a mistake scrolling across the screen where I accidentally reversed a trade instead of closing it out, which then sucked away (between two reversals and a closing trade) $350 in profit. My gross for today was in excess of $1400, but that one mistake was the biggest killer of my early pnl. I was considering stopping for the day before that mistake and needed to make some trades to get back up to a level I was comfortable with.

Attached Images

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

Hey, Johnny

When you have time, would you explain your system to me? I'm in complete re-vamp mode and I like
your results.

I am swithing over to the TF also...

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Aren't we not supposed to give away our secrets? I thought that was a golden rule on here somewhere, how traders who break the code go silent on their system or else it'll stop working

Look at the images I've posted and that should definitely help show how I make the entry decisions, specifically the last few ones. I use the ZLEMA, bollingers, EMA colors, ease of movement, volume patterns, and a bar timer on a 1 min, 2, and 3 min charts. Here is an image from today. See if you can figure it out. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can.

Personally, I was really nervous about today, taking profits when I could instead of letting winners ride. Should I have let my last trade ride instead of getting nervous and fearing the stop, I would have let 7 tick move turn into a 24 tick move.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	30374  
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

tderrick View Post
Hey, Johnny

When you have time, would you explain your system to me? I'm in complete re-vamp mode and I like
your results.

I am swithing over to the TF also...

AJ, don't change to much. You are on the right track trading the 5 and 15.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

aztrader9 View Post
AJ, don't change to much. You are on the right track trading the 5 and 15.

He has a point. When I first started looking into futures, I heard 5 and 15 or 5 and 20 all day long with no other indicators. That works for them and for sure you'll be able to get it too. How much review of the day do you do? Ever download the data from days you didn't trade and replay the data, sim trading it? You've gone live with a system which is more than I've done. Whatever it is that you choose to go with, stick with it. Learn it and make your mind work it. Get the hours in to learn it and you'll be profitable so long as you stick to the rules and don't be greedy.

Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

Thanks, guys... I think I'm starting to go a little nuts with study overload....

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Two missed trades due to self-absorped people. I'm so pissed. I need to go live as soon as feasible and GTFO of this environment where control of my day is handed off to someone else. Potential 5 point gain lost.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	down1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	30424   Click image for larger version

Name:	up1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	30425  
Thanked by:

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Two bad trades later have added onto the frustration. Im pissed, but it'll pass. I need a break and it seems today is just not my day. Closed out the charts, am waiting an hour to reopen them.

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Today was an exercise in what not to do. It seemed as though every time my indicators were hit and I took the trade, it reversed on me. And again. And again. And AGAIN. Frustration was the name of the game today. I noticed alot of people talking about the choppiness today. Looking at the 5 min chart I do see very angular moves today, no smooth tracing movement.

Still came out with a profit for the day, but not happy about how I achieved it. The market was WAY too choppy today and the shorts saved me. And the HUGE volume in the last 25 min of TF. 2 bars on the 5 min chart covering approx 25-30 ticks each, one short and one long. Late trading craziness.

For the past 7 days, I'm up 200 ticks. For the current week I am up 140 ticks and have one more day to go. Trading percentages are at 66% for long and 63% for short for the past 7 days. Not too bad I think, but no where near sharky who made that, and more, today. Of course, he is trading a different instrument and has a bit more experience than I....

We shall see what tomorrow brings. Overall, given the week, I am definitely pleased. I know tomorrow is Friday and no one should trade, but there doesn't seem to be too much market news.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 13, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts