NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Johnny's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JohnnyAustin with 217 posts (324 thanks)
    2. looks_two tderrick with 41 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 26 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 13 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JohnnyAustin with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bluemele with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tderrick with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 45,123 views
    2. thumb_up 386 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 325 posts
    2. attach_file 102 attachments

Search this Thread

Johnny's Journal

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

Most of your pics are not working. It is much better to simply attach pictures to the post instead of using a third party photo sharing website and embedding links. You also do not need 5 posts to do this.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 vegasfoster 
las vegas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 844

johnnycakes78704 View Post
I think NT7 just error-ed out on me. Anyone else had a problem with NT7 showing the incorrect results of trades?

FYI, NT performance reporting is total crap, as in completely unreliable and frequently erroneous. The totals may be correct on the current day, but the other stats are frequently wrong and the longer the period of time the worse it gets due to the accumulation of errors. If you look at the the two pics, the only difference between the two is that I checked and unchecked the "Group Trades by ATM Strategy". You will need to maintain a separate trade log and calculate your own stats. Good luck to you on your journey!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No_Group_ATM.png
Views:	239
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	27943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Group_ATM.png
Views:	231
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	27944  
Thanked by:

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp and Zenfire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 435

Mike and Vegas, thank you for the info.

Reviewed my ins/outs yesterday, made sure I followed my rules today. I think my trading style works best on the 2min chart. Not as busy as the 1min chart but allows me to see the trend that fits my trading style. Still, my biggest 1 trade gain thus far at 1.5 points.

The first attached file shows my first trade of the day. Short at 1270.25 and cover at 1268.75.

Looking at the trend, the reversal is there but then the trend continues for an additional 1 point trading gain. Should I have allowed the reversal (I'm assuming this is the scalpers getting their fill of the trade) and stayed in the trade for an additional point gain, closing out around 1267? Probably. Looking at the volume in comparison, it is very low, not indicating a breakout of the trend.

The second chart shows the (true) trend breaker.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nt7-4.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	27973   Click image for larger version

Name:	nt7-5.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	27974  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Following the defined rules, it would have been possible to eek out a gain of an additional point even if I re-entered the trade, but I follow the ZLEMA's tracking of the upper or lower Bollinger bands, getting into a trade when it crosses the mid-point of the bands. Looking at the chart, it would have been possible to stay in for another 1 point gain, but where the zlema (green) moves away from the lower band, I would have stopped out the trade there at the blue price indicator (pro churning). I'm not a shoulda, woulda, coulda guy. I'm happy with what I've learned thus far AND in its application.

Edit: Personally, I'm kicking myself as the downward trend continued to 1262-ish.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nt7-6.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	27976  

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Following the indicators....stopped out 3 times due to severe reversals. My stop is 1.5 points. Not pleased....

Looking at where I went wrong...and it seems I tried to get back into the shorts twice, which backfired on me even though the trade was accurate according the indicators. Went long, stopped out by reversal. Trade coming back up, rehit indicators, took trade again but more cautiously. Considering taking small .50 -.75 gains.

Stopped out again for another 1.5pt loss.

Took a breather and came back. Watched 1,2,3,5,10 minute charts to verify the trend and indicators were working. Came in late as I didn't want to get bit again but let it run for a 2 point gain. Could have had .5 more but wanted to see if it would get to 3. After stop, mkt dropped .75 or a whole point. Glad I got out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nt7-7.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	27992  

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Week in Review:

Following the rules set into place works, at least have this week. Profit was achieved when the rules were followed. Care needs to be taken to not balk when a small reversal happens when the reversal volume stays low as this will further profitability. Is it worthwhile to sell at reversal, let small gain happen only to short it again to eek out maximum profit? I think not. That is what bit me today, 3 times today. Practice letting the winners run. As always, let the rules make the trade, not the ego. My ego has never paid the bills, instead, just wrote checks my body won't cash. And today...seeing the big points move, my ego wanted in on it.

Remember, there is no breaking the bank....there is no bank.

Acquired trading log external to NT7, will use that to document in/out, short/long, pnl, etc.

My goal is small consistent profits every day. As the understanding, experience, accumulation, and education increases, the amount of contracts will increase.

Thanked by:

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Stopped out twice on trades that met my criteria. Started LATE today, unable to make trades on morning move, didn't start trading till about 11am CST.

Reviewed trades, both were headed in right direction and were thought to be good trades.

3rd trade has finally gone profitable. Need 3.25 points to recover losses. Should I hold to let profits run or take the .25 to .50 scalp multiple times today? I think that might be a better idea than trying to let the market run up 3-4 points.

Volume is dying off....

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Trading range appears to be narrow, around 1-2 points. Shorted when indicated, gained a point back. Saw churning, closed position. Bought again on indicators, gained .25 points and closed position. Trading range is now three quarters of a point, looking for a breakout either way. Ease of movement is hovering at -.04 on 1 min chart and +.03 on 2 min chart.

Edit: Bollinger band full range at 2:21pm is 0.72 points

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Massively frustrated. Was able to get small move points and then stopped out on a regular basis today. Total points lost were 8.25. Big moves in short trading ranges when I followed the trend created the losses.

Total points gained were 2.5. 13 trades today, only 37% of longs were profitable and 40% of shorts were profitable. Average winning trade was .5 points, average losing trade was just over 1 point.

Starting the day earlier will mean the difference between success and failure. While I was watching the market for a bit before I entered a trade, catching up on points loss after stoploss is very difficult. Definitely looking forward to tomorrow.

Thanked by:

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Breaking about even today. Sticking to my rules. Need to think seriously about trailing stop limit. Had a trade that went 10 ticks positive then went to 4 ticks positive where I closed it out, and it then continued the reversal. Less trades, less trades, less trades. This will result in more profitable trades. 1-2 points per day POSITIVE is the goal.

As of now, at 1:41pm CST, I am 0.25 ticks down with one long contract. Closed it out at a .75 point loss. Bollinger Band has a range of less than 1 point. Watching a breakout to the low otw. Time to short?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 13, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts