NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Random Line Theory

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 58 posts (218 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 41 posts (172 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 36 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 14 posts (75 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jigsaw Trading with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 4.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 232,551 views
    2. thumb_up 835 thanks given
    3. group 118 followers
    1. forum 368 posts
    2. attach_file 100 attachments

Search this Thread

Random Line Theory

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

You can see so far this morning the 91.38 line predicted the opening range high to the tick and has provided resistance on the session.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-29-2010 9-50-53 AM.png
Views:	537
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	27435  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

Big Mike View Post
...Imagine for a minute you did not know the lines were random. What would be so different from the charts in this thread compared to the charts in other threads?

The point is simply to get people to approach things from an angle they may not have previously considered, and hopefully in doing so they will benefit in some way and improve their trading.

Mike

Thanks Mike for taking the time to give a more elaborate answer and not take my previous comment at the first level as an attack or criticism. Your idea is to explore new angles in order to faciliate a paradigm shift or change in our basic assumptions. My objective this year is to trade without indicators or unnecessary luggage.

One of the thing i find interesting with comments many traders make about lines they draw on their charts is despite the fact they use it as potential inflection point they still feel the need to monitor price action around these levels before considering a trade. But what is the real use of a line if you need to watch price action before placing your bet on the table.

Let's take the volatility bands created by Fat Tails as an example, in another thread he wrote this is one of his best indicator so far but despite this fact i am sure he would not put a working order into one of the zone before price reaches that zone. He would probably wait a little bit more for signs that price is ready to turn or reverse. So common sense tells me that if you need to monitor price action when price reaches a zone why do you need these zones ?

If you don't need to put lines on your chart to give you some potential targets, is it possible that the risk:reward concept be a false preoccupation! To be profitable, do we need to predict or evaluate the reward as after all, lines we put on our charts are at the core of the preoccupation of most traders that believe in the risk/reward trusted enchilada recipe.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

trendisyourfriend View Post
Let's take the volatility bands created by Fat Tails as an example, in another thread he wrote this is one of his best indicator so far but despite this fact i am sure he would not put a working order into one of the zone before price reaches that zone. He would probably wait a little bit more for signs that price is ready to turn or reverse. So common sense tells me that if you need to monitor price action when price reaches a zone why do you need these zones ?

I am not responding to random lines, because they cannot be used for trading. They are just a fallacy that was created deliberately and they may help to unveil other fallcies.

I will answer here to the usability of volatility bands.

The volatility bands are based on human behaviour. Trading is a game with ever the same participants, and the participation of these actors will create volatility and drive price up and down by a certain amount. This typical behaviour can be measured via the average daily range.

Now imagine that you had a climax bar followed by a second entry and you want to take a countertrade. I will place more confidence in this trade,

- if the average daily range has already been reached (near the bands)
- if the opportunity occurs outside my Keltner Channel (trading outside in)
- if the time of the day is a reversal time

and I might skip the signal, if the daily range has not yet reached it expected value.

By using the bands you simply increase the probability of your trade. And of course this reasoning applies to exits as well. A climax bar that ends near the bands gives you a clear signal to exit the trade.

Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

Todays fallacies , just poking at ya FT . Price did respond to the lines .

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Random3.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	27447  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

Heres tomorrows lines . No doubt that I could validate a random line as correlating to some point in the past either as a fib retracement or extension or a static SR level or myriad other things . It is quite difficult to randomly place a line on a chart and not have your eye automatically connect it to a level from the past .

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Random4.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	27448  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Eric j View Post
Heres tomorrows lines . No doubt that I could validate a random line as correlating to some point in the past either as a fib retracement or extension or a static SR level or myriad other things . It is quite difficult to randomly place a line on a chart and not have your eye automatically connect it to a level from the past .

These lines do not look random. If you ask me to draw S/R levels based on today's price action, I would find some of those lines - and that is not a fallacy.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

Fat Tails View Post
...By using the bands you simply increase the probability of your trade...

The bands are just an average like any moving average and i have some difficulty to believe they increase the probability of any trade. When all items you mentionned converge or match your criterias, it may just be a coincidence that reinforces your belief in the bands and we are getting back to the core of this thread, namely that we assign specific properties to lines we put on our charts.

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

trendisyourfriend View Post
The bands are just an average like any moving average and i have some difficulty to believe they increase the probability of any trade. When all items you mentionned converge or match your criterias, it may just be a coincidence that reinforces your belief in the bands and we are getting back to the core of this thread, namely that we assign specific properties to lines we put on our charts.

I disagree.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

Here is the end of the session. You can see the 91.38 line really did a great job of acting as resistance.

I'll post tomorrows lines later tonight.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-29-2010 4-36-29 PM.png
Views:	590
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	27449  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Michael.H 
CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Marketdelta and Ninja
Broker: Velocity
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 529

You have to apply risk reward in terms of probabilities. Yes if you randomly go long with a risk of 2 points and a target of 5 points, you'll probably get your ass handed to you.

If the market trades its daily range, and you know historically that going back 5 years, that once it hits that range, it tends to traverse 60% of the time and reverse X amount of points, and you use good risk reward measure to enter, then I don't see why you can't make money, or at the minimum break even.

If you don't believe me, do it on sim for a month and see how it trades.

Fat tails, I'm developing a better way or signal you can add which gives you better results in terms of fading ADR bands. I'm still testing it, but if you want in, i wouldn't mind. I could probably use your help doing some back tests, bounce some ideas of each other anyways. Send me a pm and well talk

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 16, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts