NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Book Discussion: Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar by Al Brooks

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 84 posts (158 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blz17 with 46 posts (131 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 34 posts (61 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 18 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one cbratton with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blz17 with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 360,690 views
    2. thumb_up 843 thanks given
    3. group 163 followers
    1. forum 549 posts
    2. attach_file 120 attachments

Search this Thread

Book Discussion: Reading Price Charts Bar by Bar by Al Brooks

record100 
Toronto, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Broker: IB
Trading: YM, ES
Thanks Given: 34
Thanks Received: 44

"Ctrl +" is the command to increase font in Web Browser if someone is having problems

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

TheRumpledOne View Post
1) I posted pages from the book and made comments. It should be obvious to the reader that I read those pages.

2) Big Mike Trading Forum Mission statement: "We are a small community of traders with one goal: making money. If a book is misleading traders, or leading them down an unprofitable path, shouldn't someone point that out if the goal truly is "making money"?

3) I thought the topic was about reading price charts bar by bar, one thousand apologies for my misunderstanding.

4) When one reads a book, everything should be questioned rather than swallowed. Opposing views should be looked at. How else can one make profitable trading decisions?

Please do not take this post as a sign of disrespect. My only intention is to educate traders so they can make money.

This is the smallest font available. I hope no one has trouble reading it.

TRO - My comment was made in response to a post of yours which did not mention the book or any material from the book. It was one of your posts that you post over and over ("price goes up or down, ...") , and it was off-topic for this thread.

Your later posts where you read parts of the book are very interesting and I welcome them. My only comment there is to be careful because without reading all of the book, if you just take a few paragraphs they could be out of context. The book is not organized very well and I find the same information repeated and scattered throughout the book.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Blz17 
Seattle

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader Interactive Brokers
Trading: 6B
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 270

I got the book on Friday and once I got going I haven't been able to put it down.

I noticed 2 Brook's style setups on CL this morning and have attached a pic. I don't know if I'm getting these exactly right but the book certainly has me looking for some new types of setups.

Blz

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL.png
Views:	1125
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	2453  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 terratec 
Zurich Switzerland

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 515

TLB, FBO, LL
I like it. It's one from chapter 15 (best trades)
In this case it is not perfect, but close is close enough.

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

terratec View Post
TLB, FBO, LL
I like it. It's one from chapter 15 (best trades)
In this case it is not perfect, but close is close enough.

Excellent trade terratec!

After reading several times "best trades", "daytrading stocks", glossary, "first hour", and the pullback chapter, I'm now starting at the beginning again and I'm currently on signal bars and reversal bars.

This book is amazing. But very challenging. I plan to sim some brooks trades on ES today.

I think this trade from yesterday qualifies as a brooks trade. I saw the TL break and a FBO (did make a HH but due to news). I put a stop one tick under the low around 3pm and as the bar reversed it triggered.

terratec 
Zurich Switzerland

Trading: ES, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 515

cunparis View Post
After reading several times "best trades", "daytrading stocks", glossary, "first hour", and the pullback chapter, I'm now starting at the beginning again and I'm currently on signal bars and reversal bars.

This book is always with me, and it looks very old...

cunparis View Post
I think this trade from yesterday qualifies as a brooks trade. I saw the TL break and a FBO (did make a HH but due to news). I put a stop one tick under the low around 3pm and as the bar reversed it triggered.

I would say it is the same setup as I did in the last 6E trade. Just in the other direction. Great trade. Brook's comment of the FOMC day and short setup is interesting too.
I do not trade FOMC days. Wait or donate...

cunparis 
Paris, France

I took a brooks trade on the open. There was a failed double bottom pattern.

I was mistaken, I got 1 pt on runner and 1 pt on the scalp so 2 points total. For some reason Ninja is showing $46, not sure why.

Thanked by:

cunparis 
Paris, France

cunparis View Post
I took a brooks trade on the open. There was a failed double bottom pattern.

I'm going to have to read the book again to find out how he manages his stops. Had I moved my runner stop to BE I would have been taken out just before the big move. Had I kept it above the entry bar high I'd still be in. A bummer cause this looks like it may end up being the HoD.

cunparis 
Paris, France

I read the day trading chapter for the 3rd or 4th time. is it just me or is this book really difficult to read? After 30 min I have to put it down or my head will explode.

My other comment is that I would like to see how the author would have traded each bar. As it is, it is a review bar by bar in hindsight. Often "one would wait for a second entry which occurred 2 bars later" kind of makes me suspicious. But we gotta take what we got and learn it. It's a treasure trove of information.

Here is what I reinforced today:

- you must have two reasons to take a trade (he lists them in the daytrading chapter)
- always think about what is luring in traders on the opposite site and trapping them
- think about how you could be getting trapped by the opposite side
- don't go countetrend if there is a lot of momentum. wait for the 2nd reason (TL break, failure, etc.)

I tried it yesterday but was just practicing entries and moving my stops etc. I'm not comfortable risking 2 pts to get 1 pt scalp. The runner makes up for it but right now ES has a very low range (14 pts) so runners are rare. So I'm going to set my target equal to my stop and do 1 contract and see how that goes.

Heck I will post my trades from yesterday but don't laugh. I was just fooling around.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20090924 ES 5m.png
Views:	585
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	2672  

TheWizard 
Houston, TX
Market Wizard

Broker: Optimus Futures, AMP, CQG
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 517
Thanks Received: 4,224

Quoting Cunparis: So I'm going to set my target equal to my stop and do 1 contract and see how that goes.

My 2 cents: (passing this on, which was passed on to me, from another member: helpful link).

"Here is a quick way to determine if your performance numbers will make you money and how quickly.
Random Equity Curve Simulator of a trading system. Learn it before you trade Play with it you will see 1:1 loses over time."

After all, it's what you learn AFTER you know it all, that counts!
Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 4, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts