NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

NoGapRangeBars / RangeNoGap

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RJay with 27 posts (42 thanks)
    2. looks_two trs3042 with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 5 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cclsys with 5 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one RJay with 1.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two trs3042 with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TheGaryGuy with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 51,430 views
    2. thumb_up 86 thanks given
    3. group 28 followers
    1. forum 100 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

NoGapRangeBars / RangeNoGap

RJay 
Hartford, CT. USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG, Kinetick
Trading: RTY
Thanks Given: 756
Thanks Received: 787

AynRandFan View Post
I like this modification by a significant degree -- and it also seems to me that moving averages tend to be "cleaner" on these charts -- although I may be imagining that, and it only looks & feels cleaner. However, the look and feel of charts does matter; most "real" traders are finicky & particular about how they want their charts -- I'm no exception to that, by the way; I love a nice clean chart. In any case, I like this a bunch, and I thank you for sharing it.

AynRandFan,

When I realized that NT had actually designed low level chop into their Range bars to meet trade industry specs description for this bar type, I blew a gasket!!!

I created NoGapRangeBars to correct a problem that NT said didn't exist.

I am posting images of each so others here can see what I'm talking about.

RJay

NoGapRangeBars

RangeBars

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 sukhsan 
Ottawa, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Mirus,Zen-Fire
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 109
Thanks Received: 79

Thanks RJay,

I used your NoGapRange bars on my trend chart and take entries on Point O bars because u can see the steps there.

SSS

igork11 
California

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 2

RJay View Post
Hi Todd,

The new zip program on my computer has hijacked NT's zip utility.

Sorry about that.

unzip the file and put it in the ninjatrader6.5/bin/custom/type folder.

Then import any indicator with NT's import utility. this will trigger a reset of intellisense's cache.

Open an edit of any indicator, compile and save. This will reload the cache.

exit and restart NT. (save workspace)

New listing will be in the type dropdown list.

Good luck,

RJay

Update: Zip file has been relocated to the misc download area.

Hi RJay,

I'm happy to have your NoGapRange bars. Followed your instructions but NoGapRange options doesn't appear in BarStyle dropping List. It may be my specific problem. Do you have an idea how to fix the problems? Alternative way? Please help.

Igor

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

Trading: index futures, oil
Thanks Given: 232
Thanks Received: 415

I copied MedianRenko.cs into My docs\bin\Custom\Type... recompiled indicators... closed and reopened NT.. don't see anywhere where to choose them... seems like the choice should show up when you click the bar type icon in the bar... I also tried clicking the bar type selection....nodo; then the Format Data Series... the only things that show up in the "Type" drop down are Cufutes, Currency, etc... nothing even in the same category as a bar type. the indicators have been compiled since I copied it in there.

Any thoughts?

Saroj

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

Saroj View Post
I copied MedianRenko.cs into My docs\bin\Custom\Type... recompiled indicators... closed and reopened NT.. don't see anywhere where to choose them... seems like the choice should show up when you click the bar type icon in the bar... I also tried clicking the bar type selection....nodo; then the Format Data Series... the only things that show up in the "Type" drop down are Cufutes, Currency, etc... nothing even in the same category as a bar type. the indicators have been compiled since I copied it in there.

Any thoughts?

Saroj

Saroj,

When you do "Format Data Series", you'll see "Interval Settings", this "Interval Settings" consists of the "period" and "bar" type settings. See the attached snapshot.

Lolu

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bartypesettings.png
Views:	356
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3625  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 igork11 
California

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 2

lolu View Post
Saroj,

When you do "Format Data Series", you'll see "Interval Settings", this "Interval Settings" consists of the "period" and "bar" type settings. See the attached snapshot.

Lolu

Lolu,

Thanks, it really works

Igor

RJay 
Hartford, CT. USA

Broker: AMP/CQG, Kinetick
Trading: RTY
Thanks Given: 756
Thanks Received: 787

Saroj View Post

Any thoughts?

Saroj

Saroj,

If you are using NT 6.5 and you triggered an intellisense reload and you have rebooted NT and still don't see the new chart type, you may have a periodtype or Sortorder conflict.

Check all your non default chart types for the following info:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

public xxxxxxxxxxxxx () : base(PeriodType.Custom4)

public override int SortOrder
{
get { return 13390; }
}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the code in red must be unique. If it is not unique, one chart type can override the other.

RJay

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

RBSailing 
Palm Beach Gardens

Platform: Ninja Trader
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

I have been trading range bars for some time. I guess the gap never really bothered me. But I did download your type file and will check it fully. Thanks for the work.
I compared two charts of the ES carefully and as you sated you changes the "open"Mark to match the close of the previous bar. It looks to me like the bars are the same "size" and measure so in the dta box ie the High and Low of the corresponding bars match.
As for the effect on an indicator. Only indicators that use the Open or Typical price value would be affected. Most use the Close , Median , Low or High which are not affected by your modification.
Thanks for the work

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

lolu View Post
Saroj,

Lolu

Thanks much, lolu... nothing like a picture... I had already discovered that and all works great now... I was told it was a "type" so, being a literalist, I only looked in the "Type" list... which is something entirely different.

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

thanks RJay... all good now.. I'd like to know more about renko bars... got a reference?

like... how they affect indicators, how to know what the "real" OHLC are...

The only indicators I use are Bollinger Bands,CCI and volume and they seem really good with the renko bars.

Last Updated on August 20, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts