NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 195 posts (185 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 92 posts (260 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sysot1t with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 20 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one silver99 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 dandxg with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 353,167 views
    2. thumb_up 598 thanks given
    3. group 119 followers
    1. forum 541 posts
    2. attach_file 163 attachments

Search this Thread

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Mementomori
Los Angeles

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

Does anyone currently do the calculations for A and C values?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,245
Thanks Received: 5,006

I went through the entire thread of 54 pages in last 2 days, damn it was good read. I also went trough MF's 6 videos on YT

Here is the link if anyone finds that the links in thread are not working anymore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa95R_0jQ18fRWGHbiNQUw[/yt]

//Note: Its not my channle or content.

Also, I tried hard to code @fattails noise band and target bad thingy for tradingview, no success here.

/Edited out to respect forum rules

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Thanks Given: 57,337
Thanks Received: 26,267

LastDino View Post
Also, I tried hard to code @fattails noise band and target bad thingy for tradingview, no success here. I'm not elite yet so if anyone can be kind and share session pivot code here or at least that band calculation part it would be kind of them.
/Hope I did not break any forum rules

No, you didn't break forum rules by asking, but anyone who shares any Elite content code with you would.

I'm going to let your post stand, but will delete any response that contains the code you requested. It's just not allowed.

Save everyone some trouble and keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
 trepidation 
San Jose, California

Experience: Intermediate
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 167

LastDino View Post
I went through the entire thread of 54 pages in last 2 days, damn it was good read. I also went trough MF's 6 videos on YT

Here is the link if anyone finds that the links in thread are not working anymore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa95R_0jQ18fRWGHbiNQUw[/yt]

//Note: Its not my channle or content.

Also, I tried hard to code @fattails noise band and target bad thingy for tradingview, no success here. I'm not elite yet so if anyone can be kind and share session pivot code here or at least that band calculation part it would be kind of them.
/Hope I did not break any forum rules

I don't know what noise bands are, but floor pivots are available in TradingView under the indicators. Search for "pivot points"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tradingview.png
Views:	251
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	288632  

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

bobwest View Post
No, you didn't break forum rules by asking, but anyone who shares any Elite content code with you would.

I'm going to let your post stand, but will delete any response that contains the code you requested. It's just not allowed.

Save everyone some trouble and keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Bob.

Damn!

I'm sorry, will remove that part

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

trepidation View Post
I don't know what noise bands are, but floor pivots are available in TradingView under the indicators. Search for "pivot points"

That wasn't it, I can't really go in details here as to avoid getting either of us in trouble, but details are in thread, bit scattered though.

Here is what my semi failed/successful attempt looks like. I've coded quite a few indicators of my own on TV as well, I just don't make em public

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Thanks Given: 57,337
Thanks Received: 26,267

LastDino View Post
Damn!

I'm sorry, will remove that part

Not a problem. There was clearly no intent to do harm, just lack of knowledge.

We just have to enforce some things very strongly, and the distinction between Elite and non-Elite content is among them.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

bwolf 
Los Angeles, CA

Experience: None
Platform: NT8, TOS, Tradingview, BH
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 682
Thanks Received: 564

Hi, in his boot, The Logical Trader, Mark Fisher states that plus or minus days (I'm assuming you know what these are as a baseline for the question) repeat themselves on a rolling 30 day basis. In other words, if 30 days ago we had a minus day and today opens over the pivot range, there is a higher than average chance we'll have a minus day today. He explains this in the part where he talks about 3 day pivots. But I don't see him specifically talking about this in the context of 3 day pivots. Is he talking about daily pivots or 3 day pivots? Methinks daily pivots. Let me know your thoughts.

More importantly, when he says that plus and minus days frequently repeat 30 day later, does he mean calendar days or trading days? If calendar days, how does he deal with weekends and holidays? I haven't finished the book yet, or read through all the comments on here yet. Thought I'd put it out there in case anyone knows.

Thanks.

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

bwolf View Post
Hi, in his boot, The Logical Trader, Mark Fisher states that plus or minus days (I'm assuming you know what these are as a baseline for the question) repeat themselves on a rolling 30 day basis. In other words, if 30 days ago we had a minus day and today opens over the pivot range, there is a higher than average chance we'll have a minus day today. He explains this in the part where he talks about 3 day pivots. But I don't see him specifically talking about this in the context of 3 day pivots. Is he talking about daily pivots or 3 day pivots? Methinks daily pivots. Let me know your thoughts.

More importantly, when he says that plus and minus days frequently repeat 30 day later, does he mean calendar days or trading days? If calendar days, how does he deal with weekends and holidays? I haven't finished the book yet, or read through all the comments on here yet. Thought I'd put it out there in case anyone knows.

Thanks.

I have been a student of ACD for a while. Still use it but not at all like his book or videos suggest. A long time ago, I backtested most of the ideas in his book/videos. I dont remember if I tested plus/minus days specifically because as far as I remember, it wasnt meant to be used standalone as a rule. And from what I remember, it was meant in the context of daily pivots, not 3-day. The way I understood the non-core ACD ideas (other than A/C up/down) it was that these ideas - 3 day pivot, number line +9/-9, plus/minus days, previous day A/C levels etc. were to be used as guides to strengthen a traders conviction if trading non-systematically or to raise/lower the bias probabilities if trading systematically.

I am pretty sure he meant trading days and not calendar days for the 30 day period.

If you are going down this path to develop a systematic trading system, I can save you a lot of pain. Some of MF's ideas are a great way to give structure to your data but make sure your backtesting method is capable of reducing over-fitting. ACD and many such systems that are purely based on time-based historical patterns are very susceptible to over-fitting.

Thanked by:

bwolf 
Los Angeles, CA

Experience: None
Platform: NT8, TOS, Tradingview, BH
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 682
Thanks Received: 564

Hulk View Post
I have been a student of ACD for a while. Still use it but not at all like his book or videos suggest. A long time ago, I backtested most of the ideas in his book/videos. I dont remember if I tested plus/minus days specifically because as far as I remember, it wasnt meant to be used standalone as a rule. And from what I remember, it was meant in the context of daily pivots, not 3-day. The way I understood the non-core ACD ideas (other than A/C up/down) it was that these ideas - 3 day pivot, number line +9/-9, plus/minus days, previous day A/C levels etc. were to be used as guides to strengthen a traders conviction if trading non-systematically or to raise/lower the bias probabilities if trading systematically.

I am pretty sure he meant trading days and not calendar days for the 30 day period.

If you are going down this path to develop a systematic trading system, I can save you a lot of pain. Some of MF's ideas are a great way to give structure to your data but make sure your backtesting method is capable of reducing over-fitting. ACD and many such systems that are purely based on time-based historical patterns are very susceptible to over-fitting.

Thank you, Hulk. Yes, for plus/ minus it is for daily pivots. It so happens it's articulated in the section where he deals with 3-day pivots, that's what I mean (i.e., was pointing out that while he meant daily he put it in the context of the 3-day pivots explanation). Good to know that you err on the side of 30 trading, not calendar days. Using calendar days makes it problematic. Personally found it hard to believe that things would happen like clockwork on a rotating 30-day basis, I am mainly curious to keep checking to see if any patterns emerge, more so than hanging my hat on it. However, his basic A,C,D system around the opening range and ATR extensions, on the whole, works very well and keeps me on the right side of things. I also don't do it exactly as stated in the book, or not completely standalone. I look at a number of things. Probably the area where I depart the most is with regard to his stop loss criteria. I tend to lean against other things and give it less room.

I do work with Bloodhound and at this point consider myself more of a systematic than a discretionary trader, but this part of it is actually still in the discretionary bucket. I do it as one of two discretionary setups I allow myself, and in a very limited way, from A to the next fib pivot at the most, or just an ATR multiplier profit target. It's not so much a standalone trade as a way for me to balance the automated model's bias-variance tradeoff shortcomings if that makes sense. I was actually thinking that at some point I'd elaborate an automated strategy around the A,C,D trade, but I'm not there yet. Thanks for the tip on overfitting. That can definitely be a concern.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts