NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 195 posts (185 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 92 posts (260 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sysot1t with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 20 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one silver99 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 dandxg with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 356,372 views
    2. thumb_up 598 thanks given
    3. group 119 followers
    1. forum 541 posts
    2. attach_file 163 attachments

Search this Thread

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

MissEuroCent
Innsbruck

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

Fat Tails View Post
This is not the case. You just need to check the examples in the book or look at the last values published by Mark Fisher. See examples above.

There are some printing errors in the book - if you meanPage 87 Figure 4.7 or Figure 4.15 on Page 91.

Have a nice weekend
Ines

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

MissEuroCent View Post
There are some printing errors in the book - if you meanPage 87 Figure 4.7 or Figure 4.15 on Page 91.

Have a nice weekend
Ines

Hi Ines,

these are not printing errors. In particular, the A value (2.0) and the C value (1.5) listed for ES in Appendix, Table A.5 are the same values as used for figures 1.14 and and 4.15 of the book. The calculations are coherent.

-> Further the book lists larger A than C values for ZC, ZS, ZW in Table A.5

-> The latest (2010) list from Mark Fisher has larger A than C values for the following contracts: ES, FESX, FGBL, FGBM, GC, NKD, NQ, R, SB, Z, ZC and ZW.

MissEuroCent
Innsbruck

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

Fat Tails View Post
Hi Ines,

these are not printing errors. In particular, the A value (2.0) and the C value (1.5) listed for ES in Appendix, Table A.5 are the same values as used for figures 1.14 and and 4.15 of the book. The calculations are coherent.

-> The latest (2010) list from Mark Fisher has larger A than C values for the following contracts: ES, FESX, FGBL, FGBM, GC, NKD, NQ, R, SB, Z, ZC and ZW.

You are rigth. I am surprised. If you find an explanation - please let it know me. As far as I know - in the book or videos is no explanation given.

Servus
Ines

boze man 
South Jersey

Platform: Sierra
Broker: IB
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 62

Fat Tails View Post
Modifying the Concept

My plan is to modify the indicator (as posted above) to use different concepts for A and C levels.

-> one using implied volatility (this is only possible for instruments where there is a volatility index readily available, which is calculated from options

you could calculate some sort of daily theta BE off the ATM and plot that as a range?? also yrs ago i remeber using a STD band from BS using the front month ATM straddle vol... but it is very subjective and hard to program as an indicator...and prob similiar to bollinger bands?

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

boze man View Post
you could calculate some sort of daily theta BE off the ATM and plot that as a range?? also yrs ago i remeber using a STD band from BS using the front month ATM straddle vol... but it is very subjective and hard to program as an indicator...and prob similiar to bollinger bands?

That sounds too complicated. My problem with the Fisher method is that the breakout points seem to be set somewhat arbitrarily. Sometimes they are very close to the opening range and sometimes they are far away.

So I have settled for a different concept, based on failed breakouts. A failed breakout is the smaller move made by price as counted from the open:

Failure move = Mininum of (High - Open) and (Open - Low)

The smaller of these moves can be considered as noise produced by the market while it was in its typcial bipolar state of mind. From this I am calculating noise bands that define the levels beyond which a price move becomes meaning full. I have produced the noise bands indicator, and will in a nex step add standard deviation bands to the noise levels to get significance levels along with it.

Options implied volatity would be more interesting for adjusting daily range targets, but that is another story.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

Fat Tails View Post
Hi Ines,

I subscribe to mark Fisher subscription service and trade crude Oil futures based off his ACD system. For 2011, for /ES A value is 3.5 points and C value=.5

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Taroq View Post
I subscribe to mark Fisher subscription service and trade crude Oil futures based off his ACD system. For 2011, for /ES A value is 3.5 points and C value=.5

Those are the values that I have used for my indicator. The chart shows ES price action for last Friday. The blue area is the pivot range, so ES made a good A Up against the pivot range. The A Down was not valid, as price did not stay below it for long enough, although this depends on the opening period selected.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 09-11 (5 Min)  26_08_2011.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	47637  

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Fat Tails View Post
Those are the values that I have used for my indicator. The chart shows ES price action for last Friday. The blue area is the pivot range, so ES made a good A Up against the pivot range. The A Down was not valid, as price did not stay below it for long enough, although this depends on the opening period selected.

Thanks for posting the chart. I am glad to find a fellow trader who uses ACD system. I trade primarily Crude oil intra day. When I trade /es, i use 9.30 to 9.50 ( Eastern time) as an OR and then wait for 10 minutes for confirmation of an A up and A down.

Look forward to learning about various refinements traders use to improve MF system.

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Taroq View Post
Thanks for posting the chart. I am glad to find a fellow trader who uses ACD system. I trade primarily Crude oil intra day. When I trade /es, i use 9.30 to 9.50 ( Eastern time) as an OR and then wait for 10 minutes for confirmation of an A up and A down.

Look forward to learning about various refinements traders use to improve MF system.

Actually I do not use this system, I have just coded the indicator for comparison. All lines are plotted automatically, and the opening periods are adjusted to the opening period times used by Mark Fisher.

I prefer to use the SessionNoiseBands, as I have found that the breakout points indicated by them are more reliable as the ACD brekaout points. However, I do look at the pivot range as a trendfilter.

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Fat Tails View Post
Actually I do not use this system, I have just coded the indicator for comparison. All lines are plotted automatically, and the opening periods are adjusted to the opening period times used by Mark Fisher.

I prefer to use the SessionNoiseBands, as I have found that the breakout points indicated by them are more reliable as the ACD brekaout points. However, I do look at the pivot range as a trendfilter.

I am glad to hear that you are able to trade with a method which improves on MF system. I am not familiar with sessionNoise bands. Will look up today to see if I can find useful information about it. I will appreciate it if you can point me towards a link/source where I can read about them.

Last Updated on December 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts