NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mfbreakout with 195 posts (185 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 92 posts (260 thanks)
    3. looks_3 sysot1t with 21 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 forrestang with 20 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one silver99 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 dandxg with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 353,167 views
    2. thumb_up 598 thanks given
    3. group 119 followers
    1. forum 541 posts
    2. attach_file 163 attachments

Search this Thread

ACD trading By Mark Fisher

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

sysot1t View Post
ok, point me to the document that does... as I am interested on learning about it... I assume it is an exchange document.. let me know..

I just used the search button of CME. Here you are:

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/files/FairValueSettlement_031109.pdf

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

sysot1t View Post
I dont see what is so difficult, unless you dont like to be opposed to things to come to the truth.. sorry, part of my nature... I guess it has to do with the culture where i work.. everything is challenged to arrived to the truth... moving on...

"Truth" as you put it has nothing to do with this discussion. Gravity is sort of a truth, i.e. if you were to jump out of a window I can pretty much tell you with 99.99999% certainty what is likely to happen.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

An example for ES today shows that it does not pay to try to trade against the pivot. A trade against the pivot is always a countertrade, and those will only work if the market is clearly overextended.

ES 12-11 today shows no sign of being overextended, so it was possible to buy the pivot and go with the trend.
There were 3 occasions to do this.

Although ES did make a good A Down, price was too close to the pivot range to take a countertrade.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 12-11 (5 Min)  02_11_2011.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	53897  
Thanked by:

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Today the pivot happens to be right underneath the A-Down.

Don't know what the daily range is, but will be interesting to see what happens if it gets through the pivot to the A-Down with either rejection or follow through.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prime2011-11-07_092709.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	54271  

forrestang 
Chicago IL

forrestang View Post
Today the pivot happens to be right underneath the A-Down.

Don't know what the daily range is, but will be interesting to see what happens if it gets through the pivot to the A-Down with either rejection or follow through.

Just as an additional note, this was ES, and Friday's RTH session was an inside day.

Trafford 
London, England

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: EUR
Thanks Given: 378
Thanks Received: 229

outside day low of inside day is 1230. Break below this takes it out of balance to the downside.

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

Hi fellow ACD traders. I am on vacation till Nov. 29th, have been since Oct. 28th. Following are quotes from Maverick74, a true master of ACD method. Per Maverick74, he spent 4 years to perfect ACD to suit his needs.

Could not stay away from ACD, so reading through thread to get some new and confirmation of old ACD stuff.

Back to the number line, I noticed that once a number line got near that 9 to 11 level plus or minus that was the outer band if you will. The market would tend to snap back. So I was always really careful around that area. But if we broke through and held and went higher on the number line, then a big move was coming.

As far as pivot ranges go, I found the best value they have is for intra-day trading of index futures. Using the pivots to determine relative strength of which index is weaker or stronger works well. Also when the pivots are at the same levels of the A levels I find they work phenomenally well on fades. Important note though, always fade in the direction of STRENGTH. I'll thrown another bone out there. When pivots are located in the middle of the opening range, they work as great entry levels once you get a confirmed A up or A down to enter. You want to see price bounce off the pivot first before entering.

One more thing, the width of the pivots is helpful as well. Tight pivot ranges usually indicate a volatility increase and very wide pivot ranges usually signal a range bound day. In other words, be careful about taking A ups or A down on wide pivot range days unless the pivot range is located above or below the entire days range, i.e we opened above it and never traded into it and vice versa.

What type of trader are you? Do you like momentum trades or fades? If you like momentum, use very tight opening ranges. If you are a fader, use much wider opening ranges. You need to fit the ACD levels to your trading personality. This is very important. There is no right or wrong way to do this. What you are trying to do is construct levels and parameters that allow you to read the price action most effectively.

What bugs a lot of people when I tell them about ACD and then they say great, let me backtest this on say TradeStation, I tell them that's not going to work. They ask why not? I tell them it's a price action based system and it's highly discretionary. It's not back and white. This makes them angry and they move on to something else. LOL.

But I've got news for everyone, black and white trading does not work. There are no magic set of rules in this game. There is no magic formula. There is no getting around the fact that in order to make money in this business, someway somehow you are going to have to become a good trader.

Even in the book, "The Logical Trader" Mark does trader interviews in the later chapters and he points out how all these guys incorporate ACD differently. Most these guys somehow fit ACD into their own unique personality. Some traders only use certain aspects of it, others are more rigid.

I will say this, based on what I have heard, thousands of guys on the floor over the years have used this approach to trade. Considering these guys trade crude oil, nat gas, heating oil, silver and gold, and have been able to weather the volatility of those products, I think that says a lot about ACD.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

Maverick74 does not day trade. he uses weekly, monthly and quarterly A, C levels to swing trade- holding time can be from 1 day to till target is achieved. He uses intra day A , C levels to enter his weekly/ monthly set ups. Following are his observations.

A levels are magnets. Price gets pulled to them. If we fail at one A level price will usually try to tag the other one. So seeing the underlying strength in the market, we should at the very least tag the A up. Good chance we even go though it. A levels are great to use for profit targets whether intra-day, weekly, monthly or QTRly. They really work.

Case in point. My weekly A down for the ES was 1226.75 as I posted on this thread. Once we failed there the target now becomes the weekly A up which is 1269.75. Sure enough, the high so far today is 1264.75. This is how you use the profit targets.

Following is the best explanation of ACD method I have come across.

Here is what I like about ACD. The idea in trading, like anything in life, is to look for the opportunity that others are not seeing. Head and shoulders, reversals, doji's, 200 day moving averages, moving average crosses, support and resistance, etc, everybody sees that shit. It's plain as day. Hell if you miss any of that stuff, CNBC will point it out to you to remind you. There is no edge in anything that everybody can see right in front of them.

So the idea is to become a good price action trader and ACD allows you to see price action better then any other method I have seen. This is why it's hard to back test ACD as many have tried because they are back testing simple binary action. The idea is to identify price action that is NOT obvious to everyone else. ACD is one of those things you just have to practice like tennis. The more products you watch, the better your feel will become.

Because ACD is a price action based methodology, others can't take your edge away from you. You know the old saying, if everyone does it, then it won't work anymore. That doesn't apply here. If you can learn to master ACD, you can keep your edge into perpetuity.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Jedi 
SF Bay Area

Platform: Sierra
Broker: Multiple
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 546
Thanks Received: 594

Anyone know where to download the ACD set up on BM for Ninja? I read its on here but can't find it. Much appreciated.. Jedi

Fat Tails View Post
An example for ES today shows that it does not pay to try to trade against the pivot. A trade against the pivot is always a countertrade, and those will only work if the market is clearly overextended.

ES 12-11 today shows no sign of being overextended, so it was possible to buy the pivot and go with the trend.
There were 3 occasions to do this.

Although ES did make a good A Down, price was too close to the pivot range to take a countertrade.

devdas 
Al,India

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Z
Trading: NiftyFuture
Thanks Given: 1,513
Thanks Received: 1,701

I have not read full thread...in past i had tried to use ACD on my favorite instrument NF...but didnt continued.
I experienced simple fact about OR breakouts..may not be true for other markets,

First OR breakout...and most 2nd OR breakout fails in relatively large volatile condition. First OR breakout performs good in steady conditions when volatility is cooling off...or is already low. a simple comparison of relative high and low volatile periods i do with two ADR[5] and ADR[20] ( thanx @Fat Tails for wonderful Volatility Band Indi, i followed those notations here )

ADR[5] > ADR[20] and rising ADR[5] is simplest high volatile condition.
ADR[5] < ADR[20] and falling ADR[5] is simplest low volatile condition.
ADR[5] < ADR[20] and rising ADR[5] is indication of near future increase in volatility.
ADR[5] > ADR[20] and falling ADR[5] is cooling off from high volatile condition.

For example the pic shows simple equity of two different trades, First OR breakout and Second OR breakout, since mid september. Its was better to fade F1 in high volatile condition than trading that. OR here is calculated with some part as fix value + some part as percentage of ADR[5]. A 10% of ADR[5] as a stop on Fade trade were best choice as per stat.

Harvest The Moon
Nest The Market
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First_and_Second_Breakout.png
Views:	355
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	55743  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 18, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts