NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trapped traders - a source of consistent profitability?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Bids with 8 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two torroray with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Tradetronics with 5 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 adaseb with 4 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FBJS with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Tradetronics with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Bids with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 sam028 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,909 views
    2. thumb_up 39 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Trapped traders - a source of consistent profitability?

dwusbu
USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

thank you bids very much. i will try to apply this response to my learning process and i'll post any other questions that may appear in the future.

i would also love to hear your life story as well.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 Bids 
United Kingdom

ideaman View Post
Hi Bids:
I've been pondering this question for quite awhile and still haven't found the answer. Who is moving the market? Everybody out there are using high tech quants, TA, fundamentals etc.etc you name it, waiting to jump on the next rally or decline. The pits know who the big guns are so they too are watching. So how can any big gun move the market to their desired level without being discovered and front run'd?

TIA,

Dominick

This is a good type of question that a new trader should be asking. There's a lot of ignorance out there in general about how the markets work because people simply don't know. Once you reach the level where you're a big fish, it isn't as simple as just buy or sell as many contracts as you want. When you start moving up in the layer cake, stuff like iceburg orders and dark liquidity pools come into play, all designed to hide a players hand to avoid an abnormal impact by large orders executing...

Bids 
United Kingdom

dwusbu View Post
thank you bids very much. i will try to apply this response to my learning process and i'll post any other questions that may appear in the future.

i would also love to hear your life story as well.

No special story, at the end of the day trading is just a job like any other job. Many people getting onto the bank line at 5:30am Mon - Fri are making hand over fist trading each day, but we're just regular people like everyone else... Yeah people like to hear a rags to riches story, but the reality is go to school, graduate, get a job, and if you're good at your job and work hard you make money.

LukeGeniol 
Italy (IT) Italy

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ATAS, R|Trader, NT8
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: CL, Brent, GC, TF
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 408
Thanks Received: 985

Bids View Post
This is a good type of question that a new trader should be asking. There's a lot of ignorance out there in general about how the markets work because people simply don't know. Once you reach the level where you're a big fish, it isn't as simple as just buy or sell as many contracts as you want. When you start moving up in the layer cake, stuff like iceburg orders and dark liquidity pools come into play, all designed to hide a players hand to avoid an abnormal impact by large orders executing...

Don't think there'are dark liquidity pools for Futures Markets , or at least I'm not aware, anyway they have not a directly impact on market behavior, but for what I know they only take off liquidity, and this is an issue for stocks, especially for those with little capital.
About iceberging and HFT, they can be tracked with some tricks, but is not simple to figure out their impact on order flow, a more comprehensive analysis is needed.

Take your Pips, go out and Live.
Luke.
 Bids 
United Kingdom

LukeGeniol View Post
Don't think there'are dark liquidity pools for Futures Markets , or at least I'm not aware, anyway they have not a directly impact on market behavior, but for what I know they only take off liquidity, and this is an issue for stocks, especially for those with little capital.
About iceberging and HFT, they can be tracked with some tricks, but is not simple to figure out their impact on order flow, a more comprehensive analysis is needed.

It wasn't a definitive answer, it was merely stating that other things come into play higher up the ladder. I also never said it's specific to futures markets, the original question was a general question about 'the market' I don't think how to track iceberg orders is really something that anyone here is ever going to have to do even if they are quite successful later on down the line....

HFT, don't get me started on that, its impact on most prop traders is extremely minimal. It's just a good excuse for the useless ones who every few years come up with new excuses. For a while it was the flipper who was stopping them from making money, and now days it's HFT apparently lol, or in reality it could just be because they can't move with the times. If one of my traders had a bad run and blamed it on HFT then I would tell him to go home and not come back. If you're a good trader then you can adapt to the market as it changes and as new technology comes along. If you reach a point where you can't adapt, then you've simply reached your personal level of incompetence.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

Bids View Post
...If you want to trade then you need to learn how to play the dog eat dog game as that is what trading is and that is how you should view it. To do this you need to read the orders that are trading and resting at each price too see what is actually happening, then you will learn the games that are being played every day. Stay away from software like market delta as it's just a gimmic. If it did what it said on the tin, then every investment bank and prop firm would be using it...

Bid, how do you interpret 'the orders that are trading and resting at each price' ? Can you give just ONE example of a trade setup that is compatible with this approach ?

tradestack
Phoenix, AZ, US

Be very cautious of posts from Bids. Especially when he refers to his blog. Almost all of his blog posts are a copy/paste from Futex.
Here are 2 examples:
From Inconsistent to Consistent – what does it take to be a successful trader? | Futex
Bids & Offers: From Inconsistent to Consistent - what does it take to be a successful trader?

The Psychology Behind Gut Feel | Futex
Bids & Offers: The Psychology Behind Gut Feel

TradeStack

Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

so who cut & paste who?

tradestack
Phoenix, AZ, US

Well, for the Psychology post, it was posted on Futek on 24 Sep 2010. It was posted on bids&offers on 18 Oct 2010.
You tell me.
Care to comment Bids?

TradeStack

bojangle 
NYC, NY

Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 46

check out new post at bigmikestrading and traderslaboratory about "BIDS"

Last Updated on December 11, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts