NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ES and the Great POMO Rally

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 248 posts (470 thanks)
    2. looks_two Private Banker with 215 posts (418 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 58 posts (72 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 56 posts (72 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Private Banker with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Michael.H with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 194,514 views
    2. thumb_up 1,529 thanks given
    3. group 37 followers
    1. forum 926 posts
    2. attach_file 631 attachments

Search this Thread

ES and the Great POMO Rally

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Private Banker View Post
Hi Aquarian1,

First and foremost, I respectfully wouldn't want to recommend anything that would affect you in making a financial transaction. I don't know your financial situation. Additionally, it would be impossible to predict any news releases that may come out. But I will tell you what I'm seeing on the charts with the hope that you will be able to determine what to do on your own.

From looking at the daily chart on GC, it's really at an interesting point here. There were several bearish divergences that occurred which resulted in pull back's to the 50 day MA where it found support and the PPO is still hovering above the zero line. It's really tough to say which way it will go but I would remain bullish for now. Also, the second chart shows that the bollinger band has crossed within the keltner channel creating a squeeze. This is could and often does result in a burst in one direction and they've been to the upside lately but certainly not an indication that it would happen again.

Hope this helps,
PB

Hi PB thanks for your post of charts. I ended up selling on the 29th which was a pretty good day and I received $1395USD. (Their bid ask is $73 on a coin - great business model buy from me tack on $73 and sell it a few minutes later to the next fellow!)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

It's the weekend and time for me to post.
I have been trying to think of what I might contribute to the forum.

I have decided on posting about the relative performance of gold and the ES.
I think that lately their has been a relationship and that perhaps someone has some ideas on whether we can use gold as a predictor of the ES is current area of 1250.

On some analysis I made last weekend 1259 came out as a key level for the ES. This past week 1258.50 has been the high so that target is met.Will the ES breakout or breakdown?
I doubt it will stay in current tight range for too much longer.

Weekend Plunge Scenario
It may be that a 'crisis' in the overseas markets starts a plunge in the ES.

Let's imagine the following scenario:There is a large drop in the overnight session on a weekend (e.g. 60pts plus), then the stops will get hit and program selling programs would kick in. If it closes much lower (e.g. on a Monday) to make big headlines in the paper, then you may see mom and pop retail investor say "no way am I in for another 58% haircut", and calling their broker to get them out of all equities.

Circuit breakers would do nothing but slow it down, I think. Certainly, the Fat FED will throw a ton of money at stopping this, but the gov't credibility is even less now than before the great crash of 2007. The crash of '07 wiped out 11 years of sp500 index gains (96 to 2007) .

But the real loss to the investor is much greater. Because the SP500 drops the losers and adds new winners into its index, it overstates the reality investors face. (Enron may have been there along with WorldCom's, NorthPoint Communications, Global Crossing, JDS Uniphase, XO Communications, and Covad Communications, Nortel and deleted from the index when their fall in market cap excluded them.) Taking them out of the index doesn't put the money back into the shareholders pocket.

The average investor may not be consciously aware of the poor performance of the equity markets due the enormous hype of the mutual fund industry, brokers and financial media - which promote blindly following mantras of "Buy and hold
[or 'just fall asleep sheep'].

Guaranteed notes if averaging 4% on the 15 year period of 1996 to 2010 give a compounded return of 1.80 or $66,700 to $120,000 (or $138,665 for 5%).

I have posted graphs of gold and gold to ES at my blog:
Ian writeianatPOF's blog - Blog - Other's blog - Yahoo! Pulse

I'm not sure how often I will update it but I have put an RSS feed link button on the blog page to get updates which works from my Yahoo page. -more for fun than anything else

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	27642  
Thanked by:
 Michael.H 
CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Marketdelta and Ninja
Broker: Velocity
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 529

Market continues to make new highs for now.....

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

I saw this today on ZH and thought it would be fitting here:

YouTube - The American Dream Film

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Michael.H View Post
Let me ask you a question. Based on your experience in trading the markets. Usually, when a top occurs, is it a process in which you see lower highs, and massive volume, expanded volatility and range; or is it a huge run up, and then it suddenly tanks out of nowhere without any reason or warning signs?

I also think its funny how so many people have been calling the top in this market. Every time i go on stocktwits, i hear some clown who is short and they're holding their position overnight because the market is gonna tank in their opinion. That was 4 weeks ago, and i no longer see those people on there anymore( could be they're on vacation, i don't know). They have so many reasons predicting a recession because they BELIEVE that the economy is toast, and it doesn't deserve to go higher. One of them cited exactly what you said, put/call ratio, bullish sentiment was at record highs.

But the fact remains:

- Zero interest rates( this alone creates very low odds of another recession). The FED has clearly suggested that they would err on keeping interest rates lower longer, than to risk another recession by raising it too early. There's alot of statistical data backing this proving the odds of a recession are extremely low.
- the FED openly suggesting that they will do anything they can( even POMO part III) to make sure the market stays afloat
- Most company's are much healthier and less leveraged than the last recession. Better balance sheets. Leaner. Alot have massive amounts of cash sitting in their balance sheets because they are being defensive.
- Yes, the economy sucks here (slow), yet china and other countries have GDP's of 6%+, and if you listen to any of the earning calls, you'll notice that they are well diversified, and profits are still coming in from over seas since growth is slow here. We truly live in a global economy. When something bad happens overseas, it affects us. When other countries do well overseas, it helps us.
- Unemployment has never been a predictor of a recession
- The market can remain complacent longer than you can remain solvent. Divergences mean absolutely nothing when a trend is this strong. Linda Raschke taught me that a long time ago.

Off all the reasons you suggested,( im sorry but you thinking the economy sucks is not a valid reason to go short), complacent reading in the put call ratio, and overly bullish sentiment is the only valid argument you have.

I have 6 valid reasons why we can go higher. Could this be the top, absolutely, but doesn't mean you have to bet money trying to figure that out. When the trend changes, you can get in. You won't pick the absolute high and boast about it, but you can save yourself from massive losses trying to predict it, and still make money when it heads south.

I want to note that i love when the market goes down, since I hit my targets fairly quickly( market takes the stairs up, elevator down)..... Yet i still am not picking a top.

Im not bashing on anyone here( I only bash the people on stocktwits since i know for a fact that most are on sim, so they're not losing anything but their time playing video games with the market), but you have to be unbiased, and not just say your unbiased. Those complacent readings can come down as the market goes sideways and digests its gains, and easily continue on higher.

To address the breadth issue you brought up, alot of people are saying that it fits the Hindenburg Omen, but that has a fairly low success rate. Alot of changes have been made as to what qualifies for that because of its high failure rate. So far, this doesn't qualify.
The reason you brought up are reasons to take some profits off or not initiate new longs, but not go short in this market.

Finally had a chance to read this through. Very good observation here however, there's always alternatives to one's opinion on the potential catalysts of the market. For the sake of pure conversation, here are some alternatives to the 6 points made above.

- ZIRP did not fair well for Japan which included multiple government stimulus plans and large bank bailouts. Why would it be different here? Our current GDP's largest growth component is from government spending (deficit). Take that out and we are still in negative territory. How much more can the government spend? It will be interesting to see what the GOP does with the US debt ceiling.

- The Fed is and has always successfully created and popped asset bubbles. They are in it for themselves at the end of the day. We can currently see this with the devaluation of the USD. Sure the Fed can throw everything they have (our tax dollars) at keeping stocks up but the fact that stocks are still rising is just a distraction to our loss of purchasing power. Commodities are currently ripping higher and we are starting to see the effects in food, energy, etc. Which of course are not a part of core inflation which is always hilarious. A prime/extreme example of this is Zimbabwe's stock market back in 2007. Who cares if the stocks are going up when the value of the currency in which it's denominated in is losing value.

- True corporations have a large amount of cash however, they also have a large amount of leverage. The value of their real estate, equipment and other tangible assets have been losing value at an alarming pace. If corporations were to deploy the current cash they have, their leverage would increase even more. Which is why the record cash levels theory isn't true and one that is highly touted by sell-side analysts which is obviously a red flag. Additionally, changes made by the FASB have allowed corporations (mainly financial institutions) to continue to not write down certain troubled assets and hold assets in off balance sheet subsidiaries.

- Regarding China, people have been claiming it will collapse for quite some time. It hasn't happened yet but we shouldn't rule it out. But you're correct in saying it benefits the US when other countries do well economically but we also feel it when they don't (Euro crisis, etc.)

- Unemployment is merely a cause of a recession but it can make a recession worse.

- Markets can most certainly and often do continue in it's trend longer than one would expect or make sense. A short trade would only make sense if there is price and volume confirmation. The ES is continuing to skip along the 10 day MA. Definitely no short signal occurring here but the gist of the entire thread here is that this rally is highly correlated with the Fed's POMO activity.

2011 should be a very interesting year for all markets. Let's hope we can get some Vol back!

Cheers,
PB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES-1-3-11.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	27736  
 Michael.H 
CA

Well, either way, you proved my point regardless. You can refute the arguments, but the fact remains that anyone shorting this have move up because they "think" that everything will collapse is merely trading on their belief. Even though you maybe right about all those things, what validates a short? You mentioned japan, how long did it take before the bubble burst. Is that indicative of our future? Anyones guess.

I've yet to see anyone make money based on a hunch, but i have seen people make money based on signals and patterns which have some sort of statistical outcome that could lead to potential profit.

All im trying to say is, i don't understand why people are shorting this(yet). Stock market could go higher for a few more months to even years before it tanks, and thats losses you have to endure just so you can prove your hunch right. So far, there are no fundamental or technical reason based on charts that warrant it.

You have to also understand, bubbles form when everybody throws in the towel, not when everybody expects it. I track volume alot, and today was more a short covering than initiative buying, because thats whats fueling the market right now, people on the wrong side of the market.

Side note: your leverage comment imo would only be in regards to financial institutions only. I don't really see other companies with this problem. Apple had record sales growth DURING the recession...lol Companies are doing well. Real estate however, could possibly be a drag, I agree. I see your from cali, which part? Southern, northern?

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Michael.H View Post
Well, either way, you proved my point regardless. You can refute the arguments, but the fact remains that anyone shorting this have move up because they "think" that everything will collapse is merely trading on their belief. Even though you maybe right about all those things, what validates a short? You mentioned japan, how long did it take before the bubble burst. Is that indicative of our future? Anyones guess.

I've yet to see anyone make money based on a hunch, but i have seen people make money based on signals and patterns which have some sort of statistical outcome that could lead to potential profit.

All im trying to say is, i don't understand why people are shorting this(yet). Stock market could go higher for a few more months to even years before it tanks, and thats losses you have to endure just so you can prove your hunch right. So far, there are no fundamental or technical reason based on charts that warrant it.

You have to also understand, bubbles form when everybody throws in the towel, not when everybody expects it. I track volume alot, and today was more a short covering than initiative buying, because thats whats fueling the market right now, people on the wrong side of the market.

Side note: your leverage comment imo would only be in regards to financial institutions only. I don't really see other companies with this problem. Apple had record sales growth DURING the recession...lol Companies are doing well. Real estate however, could possibly be a drag, I agree. I see your from cali, which part? Southern, northern?

All good points here. Definitely not trying to refute anything that you have stated but just wanted to present potential alternatives. I definitely respect what you have listed here and I think we are in agreement on what signifies a change in trend that would warrant a short at these levels.

As for corporate leverage, I got that information from the Fed's current Z1 statement. I would assume that's accurate but you're right about Apple. They have been resilient and able to even get unemployed people to buy their products in these times, lol!. I think they've done everything right so far and I personally love their products although I've never felt the need for an iPad. Just looks like a big iPhone which I already have. I also plan to dump my T3500 for a Mac Pro tower some point soon.

I agree that Real Estate will continue to have head winds. I feel that many areas here, (I live in San Diego), have not been through the ringer yet. Another interesting thing to watch is commercial real estate. If you have access to Bloomberg, you can see the updated watch list where companies or property owners have somewhere along the way failed certain loan covenants and are now in some sort of work out process. The list seems to be growing more and more. Obviously a lot of these entities are hotels but it's very surprising to see who else is on there.

In any event, I'm hoping 2011 will be a little more exciting than the last in terms of volatility.

Best,
PB

Thanked by:

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,257

Michael.H View Post

There are obviously a lot of reasons to be bullish this market:

1) It’s going up!
2) Bullish seasonality across multiple time frames, especially the January effect
3) Bullish bias after mid-term elections
4) Fed’s money printing is once again making it’s way into the market

However,

If a man has a strong faith, he can indulge in the luxury of skepticism”. Friedrich Nietzsche.

Aside from the fact, the only thing keeping the market up is the Fed, is the specter of the upcoming unemployment report, the foreclosure-gate settlement, China tightening, muni defaults and EU sovereign defaults. While these factors are merely potential disruptions that have yet to make an impact, they continue to loom over the market.

Additional skepticism is warranted by weakening market internals.There is a clear weakness developing among NASDAQ stocks where there are almost 10% less of stocks in strong weekly mark-up stage than among NYSE stocks. The other clear weakness developing is among small cap stocks, which are now lagging significantly in the weekly strong mark-up stage against their mid- and large-cap counterparts. The statistics for daily stages keeps deteriorating as well, with a declining percentage of stocks in positive stages under the 5-day moving average.

Logic also suggests that institutions are attempting to keep the buying programs busy most of the day so they can unload their longs.This fact is made evident by the Effective Volume Money Flow indicator, which reflects aggressive institutional selling into strength among a majority of sectors.

Depending on your time frame and strategy a short position may make more sense than a long position, as long as there is a pre-defined risk level. With the use of options, I have exposure to changes in volatility, and time decay, which affords me additional opportunities, beyond the mere directional play in the underlying. It also allows me alternative ways to react to signals, that may cause me to increase or decrease my exposure. This position which is essentially a mean reversion play, does not preclude me from trading futures, short-term, with a momentum /trend following strategy.

I don't look at this trading philosophy as a strategy that creates more risk, because my risk is always defined. I approach this way of trading as way of creating opportunity. I'll never forget sitting at home with a herniated cervical disk, long a bunch of bond calls, wishing I could be at work trading. But, then the unimaginable happened and LTCM blew up, and so did the premium on my calls. I was in the market, my risk was defined, and it lead to a very favorable outcome. Moral of the story...I never would have caught the move, if I wasn't in already.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Yesterday saw a breakout to 1272.50 and then a retracement towards the close of the day.
Today started with an o/n gap of 5.75, a high of 1270 near the open and a slide to 1258.25. Now around 1260 (12:11CT) up a little from the low with FOMC minutes due soon.

I feel it must close above 1260 this week to confirm the breakout.

Monday's action 'feels' like a set-up.

Michael.H 
CA

So what happens when investor sentiment is at a all time high?

Will Too Many [AUTOLINK]Bulls[/AUTOLINK] Really Make a Bear ? | TRADING THE ODDS

Thought you should read this....
Tigertrader, if you know what your doing, then by all means do it. m don't know what strategy's you employ, and its none of my business.
Im just trying to help the newer traders here.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 9, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts