NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ES and the Great POMO Rally

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 248 posts (470 thanks)
    2. looks_two Private Banker with 215 posts (418 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Michael.H with 58 posts (72 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 56 posts (72 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 1.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Private Banker with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Michael.H with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 193,545 views
    2. thumb_up 1,529 thanks given
    3. group 37 followers
    1. forum 926 posts
    2. attach_file 631 attachments

Search this Thread

ES and the Great POMO Rally

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Private Banker View Post

1.- The Fed is and has always successfully created and popped asset bubbles. They are in it for themselves at the end of the day. We can currently see this with the devaluation of the USD. Sure the Fed can throw everything they have (our tax dollars) at keeping stocks up but the fact that stocks are still rising is just a distraction to our loss of purchasing power. ..

2. ...Who cares if the stocks are going up when the value of the currency in which it's denominated in is losing value.

You make a good point. I think the stocks rising and capital not being used to create new business and new jobs shows that QE1 and QE2 has pumped money into the market. The Fed creates more liquidity and with the market is moving up (+11%? on the year and 20%? since Aug ) the new money flows to best return and the best return is paper assets not new businesses. It shows the failure of QE if QE was supposed to create jobs. It shows the success of QE if it was the "bankers trust" aka Creature of Jeykle Island =the Fed to help its friends (big banks) to big profits.

re 2. So the danger you are highlighting is that to foreign investors it is the after currency exchange return on investment, relative to other foreign markets, that they are interest concerned with?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to aquarian1 for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
67 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
48 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
47 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
32 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

I watched a video clip (second clip in) speaking of:
in the last 10 yrs Jan has been the 3rd worst month
Jan after a strong fourth quarter is usually weak
the VIX greater than 100% usually proceeds a correction.

For someone who watches the clip could you explain to me what the VIX percentage means ?

thanks!

The following user says Thank You to aquarian1 for this post:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

aquarian1 View Post
re 2. So the danger you are highlighting is that to foreign investors it is the after currency exchange return on investment, relative to other foreign markets, that they are interest concerned with?

Thanks! My point here is referencing the loss of purchasing power whether it be domestic or foreign investors from the devaluation of the currency in which that market is denominated in plus inflation in food and energy, etc. I was particularly referencing Zimbabwe here as an extreme example. Their stock market went straight up in 2007 while their currency became more worthless than monopoly money.

Cheers,
PB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZimbabweIndustrialIndex.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	27790  
Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to Private Banker for this post:

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,257

Private Banker View Post
Thanks! My point here is referencing the loss of purchasing power whether it be domestic or foreign investors from the devaluation of the currency in which that market is denominated in plus inflation in food and energy, etc. I was particularly referencing Zimbabwe here as an extreme example. Their stock market went straight up in 2007 while their currency became more worthless than monopoly money.

Cheers,
PB

IS QE2 THE ROAD TO ZIMBABWE-STYLE HYPERINFLATION? NOT LIKELY

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to tigertrader for this post:

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,257

aquarian1 View Post
I watched a video clip (second clip in) speaking of:
in the last 10 yrs Jan has been the 3rd worst month
Jan after a strong fourth quarter is usually weak
the VIX greater than 100% usually proceeds a correction.

For someone who watches the clip could you explain to me what the VIX percentage means ?

thanks!

S&P 500 Index 20-Day Historical [AUTOLINK]Volatility[/AUTOLINK] Hits 39-Year Low - Seeking Alpha

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/january-effect-will-be-nitro-fueled-2011-01-03

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to tigertrader for this post:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Hi Everyone!

I had a late start this morning (too tired to get up with the 3:30am alarm) and knew the plumber would be coming by at 9am to fix the motor on the hot water radiator.

As he (say Don) fixed it we talked of stocks. Don had been investing since he left high school and started plumbing 11 yrs ago, he is 28 now. He had been in mutual funds. A couple of years ago he moved into stocks. He bought AIG at $16 and Ford at $2 in the crash.

"In the crash, I bought a whole bunch of big companies. I figured a few would survive. I now have more money than most 28 year-olds I know. I plan to retire at 40."

The following 2 users say Thank You to aquarian1 for this post:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

aquarian1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I had a late start this morning (too tired to get up with the 3:30am alarm) and knew the plumber would be coming by at 9am to fix the motor on the hot water radiator.

As he (say Don) fixed it we talked of stocks. Don had been investing since he left high school and started plumbing 11 yrs ago, he is 28 now. He had been in mutual funds. A couple of years ago he moved into stocks. He bought AIG at $16 and Ford at $2 in the crash.

"In the crash, I bought a whole bunch of big companies. I figured a few would survive. I now have more money than most 28 year-olds I know. I plan to retire at 40."

That's a great story! They say great wealth is made in concentrated positions whether it be something like what the plumber did or someone that starts a company and is successful or they are bought out and receive a great windfall of cash or stock.

The trick for many though is keeping it. And what I mean by that is not just spending it all but keeping that same level of "wealth" while not losing purchasing power from inflation, etc. I like hearing stories like that though. Very cool!

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

That was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing that. I sure hope we don't end up like Zimbabwe but by me referencing that was merely an extreme situation. I do however, wonder where some of the people mentioned in that article were arriving with their information. I'm asking this out of pure curiosity and not calling anyone out on it of course.

Just an example:

"No, says Cullen Roche, because swapping dollars for bonds does not change the size of the money supply. A dollar bill and a dollar bond are essentially the same thing. One bears interest and is a little less liquid than the other, but both are obligations good for a dollar’s worth of goods or services in the economy. If the bondholders had wanted cash, they could have cashed out the bonds themselves. They don’t have any more money to spend, or any more incentive to spend it, when they’ve been cashed out by the government than when they were holding bonds."

Not sure where Cullen Roche is getting this from but the three basic ways the Fed influences the Money Supply are the following:

1. Most important to my point here, to increase money supply, the Fed buys US Treasuries and other US Gov related securities giving the seller cash and adding money to the economy. If you follow POMO, you will see they are doing precisely that and are now buying bonds that have only been in issuance for a few weeks at most. If the Fed wanted to reduce money supply, they would be selling their bond inventory taking cash out of the economy.
2. The Fed can change money supply by changing the Reserve Requirements for Banks.
3. They can lower and increase short-term interest rates.

But at the end of the day, we (the US) would really need to screw up to get in a situation like Zimbabwe's. As I mentioned before, the US debt ceiling situation will be interesting to watch.

Best,
PB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonds.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	27858   Click image for larger version

Name:	MZM.png
Views:	124
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	27859   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.png
Views:	102
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	27860   Click image for larger version

Name:	USD.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	27861  
The following user says Thank You to Private Banker for this post:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Hi Tiger,

I've visited the links you posted.
(Perhaps you didn't watch the video(?) as your links are in contrast to the video.)

I rewatched it and I think I have my answer now, so thanks.
I posted a summary.:)

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Private Banker View Post

Not sure where Cullen Roche is getting this from but the three basic ways the Fed influences the Money Supply are the following:

1. Most important to my point here, to increase money supply, the Fed buys US Treasuries and other US Gov related securities giving the seller cash and adding money to the economy. If you follow POMO, you will see they are doing precisely that and are now buying bonds that have only been in issuance for a few weeks at most. If the Fed wanted to reduce money supply, they would be selling their bond inventory taking cash out of the economy.

Exactly!
Buying bonds increases the money supply and selling bonds decreases it. (Buying/selling net of maturing issues).
  • thought of like a sponge (=bonds) you throw it out(=sell more) and soak up water (= cash)
  • you take it in sponge (=bonds) and squeeze out the water (=buy more) and pour out the water (= cash)

The following user says Thank You to aquarian1 for this post:

Last Updated on November 9, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts