NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How to use volume in your trading

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 187 posts (146 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 38 posts (49 thanks)
    3. looks_3 RJay with 34 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 29 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 cunparis with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 406,237 views
    2. thumb_up 485 thanks given
    3. group 157 followers
    1. forum 677 posts
    2. attach_file 202 attachments

Search this Thread

How to use volume in your trading

Grey1
United Kingdom

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

supermht View Post
LOL, please don't say vol is useless only because you don't understand volume.

Ok if you say so but tell me how can you bring the size of a variable such as Volume into your analysis which is hidden to you at all times and all you see( T&S) is a sub set of the original order flow . I suggest you look into quantum analysis of risk associated with the volatility in algorithmic trading with zero reference to volume . Of course if you are still drawing your trend lines and depending on classical TA you have no choice except defending the volume as a main part of your analysis ,, shame

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 supermht 
Naperville IL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: NT broker
Trading: NQ ES 6E GC CL
Thanks Given: 1,189
Thanks Received: 661

Grey1 View Post
Ok if you say so but tell me how can you bring the size of a variable such as Volume into your analysis which is hidden to you at all times and all you see( T&S) is a sub set of the original order flow . I suggest you look into quantum analysis of risk associated with the volatility in algorithmic trading with zero reference to volume . Of course if you are still drawing your trend lines and depending on classical TA you have no choice except defending the volume as a main part of your analysis ,, shame

LOL calm down, please don't try to be an expert here, people have their way to survive on market, some use vol studies, some don't, you can't force others to believe what you believe.

emotion is killer on trading.

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

Platform: NinjaTrader, Racket
Trading: Ockham's razor
Thanks Given: 320
Thanks Received: 623

Grey1 View Post
... I suggest you look into quantum analysis of risk associated with the volatility in algorithmic trading with zero reference to volume.

To make it a productive conversation - do you mind sharing some pointers to the analysis.

Grey1
United Kingdom

Thanks Given: 0

gregid View Post
To make it a productive conversation - do you mind sharing some pointers to the analysis.

Of course I will,,

As a Traders you would need to know the volume that moves the price to either direction ,, Institution with high volume order book always Decomposed their massive order to tiny tiny orders so no one can see them coming or going or cause any disturbance to VOLATILITY ENVELOPE MODEL that most institutional traders are aware of .. This is not some thing new in fact it as as old as the market but last past few years due to launch of internet/ high speed hardware , this has become more intelligent and actually what goes through T&S is not of any use to any one,, hence my comment about the Volume ,

OK lets go to the risk models,, Classical TA is deterministic, for example it tells you if a major support is broken then the trend is to down side , and stuff like that ,, quantum analysis of the same move tells you that if the price goes below a major support the trend might not be to down side and in fact the short order flooding might be so large to cause immediate reversal , and major run to upside but more than any thing else it attaches a probability to the continuation of the down side trend . quantum world in financial Engineering is the world of probabilities against classical interpretation of TA which is just 0-1 and no probability . Again this is not some thing new,,
To be able to trade the market successfully, traders should be able to drop the classical TA and all the indicators which comes with it and study RISK analysis of financial market using various risk models ( these models offer various probabilities in various situations ) and take the lowest risk trades,, I don't want to mention any book or literature in case you might think I have any interest in this ,, just Google risk models in financial market and for the first time you are on the right direction trading just like institutions .

Many people might not have the theoretical back ground to study risk models which I understand and it is fine ,, But one thing I know they can do ,, instead of Analyzing VOLUME and PRICE ,, ANALYSE PRICE AND TIME ,, drop vol ,,
WATCH price action with TIME to be the second variable for your analysis .. THIS IS CALLED TIME SERIES ANALYSIS ,

Thanked by:
 Eclipse247 
Bath/Somerset/UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Infinity, IB
Trading: GC,SI, Currency futures
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

matthew28 View Post
Ukie, have a look at the Market Delta website. (I use their charts). Their blog and archived webinar videos on using volume which although it is on their charts, I see you use CQG, gives some good information on trading with volume. Peter Davies over at Jigsaw Trading has some very good information on his support page including about volume on the DOM which is another important piece of information.

Hi Matthew
I am new to futures.io (formerly BMT) and I have been looking at Gomi. Both are impressive to me. I have looked at the Gomi as a method of volume analysis and despite wading through many webinars and posts on threads I have problems getting it to work, and interpretation has been difficult. I know there are alternatives available including MD. How do you find it? Thanks

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Hello Eclipse,
If you're asking me about the Gomi profile or bid ask chart tools stuff I have never used them. I liked the Market Delta Volume Imbalance chart but in the end have gone back to the Jigsaw DOM as that gives me the bid ask numbers but I can also see the order book at the same time. So I can just look at one thing instead of a chart and a DOM. I find that works better for me when trying to get an order on.

danyzuko
San Antonio TX/USA

Thanks Given: 12

Eric j View Post
Nice ! Could you share that template ? I would love to give that a try .

I guess I don't understand what the mentioned template is for...
I thought it was basically a workspace you can drop into the /workspaces folder in NT 7 and open in Ninjatrader.
provided I have the indicators you all have mentioned in this thread I thought it would come up with the respective charts

So how do I use this .xml file since I'm obviously wrong?

I just realized it is from a previous version of NT 7. Can anyone donate a NT 7 template?

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

danyzuko View Post
I guess I don't understand what the mentioned template is for...
I thought it was basically a workspace you can drop into the /workspaces folder in NT 7 and open in Ninjatrader.
provided I have the indicators you all have mentioned in this thread I thought it would come up with the respective charts

So how do I use this .xml file since I'm obviously wrong?

I just realized it is from a previous version of NT 7. Can anyone donate a NT 7 template?

a quick glance at ninja directory and you can see template goes to templates folder and workspace goes to workspaces folder thus they are not interchangeable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-21_1403.png
Views:	371
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	206599  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 21, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts