NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Jason's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jharthun with 16 posts (19 thanks)
    2. looks_two cory with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 adorati with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3 posts (7 thanks)
    1. trending_up 5,884 views
    2. thumb_up 28 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 28 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Jason's Journal

jharthun 
Hacienda Heights, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: MCL, M2K, MNQ, MES
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 31

I'm finally starting to deal with who I am as a trader. I'm an emotional, inconsistent, and undisciplined trader.

I feel good about my charts. I've changed them several times in the past. For now, that whole routine is over. The charts are not the problem.

In Brett Steenbarger's book, "Enhancing Trader Performance", he stresses the importance of practice and I agree with him. Unfortunately, I'm just too emotional, inconsistent, and undisciplined to practice. I can't stand trading on the simulator. So, I trade with real money and ride the emotional roller coaster.

I want to change who I am and become a disciplined trader, who consistently makes money by keeping the emotions in check. I'm starting this journal with the hope of making that transformation a reality someday.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 itrade2win 
New York

Platform: Sierra Charts, TOS
Trading: E-mini S&P 500
Thanks Given: 447
Thanks Received: 437

Jason,

This is a good place to start. There are several good threads on psychology and good books on trading psychology that are must reads IMO.

Good luck!:bmt-rocks:
Ryan

jharthun 
Hacienda Heights, CA

I got up early this morning, around 5:30 AM PST. I try to get up early every morning, but I usually hit the snooze button a few times. I had three losing trades in a row. They were about a hundred dollars each. Taking a little break ...

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

jharthun View Post
I got up early this morning, around 5:30 AM PST. I try to get up early every morning, but I usually hit the snooze button a few times. I had three losing trades in a row. They were about a hundred dollars each. Taking a little break ...

If I may... I would suggest you record the following for each trade:

1) Screenshot of your workspace, so you can preserve how it looked
2) Why did you enter, why did you exit -- for each trade

This will help you in the long run. At the end of each week, read the PRIOR weeks journal entries plus this weeks entries. It should become crystal clear to you what your strengths and weaknesses are, then you focus on a plan to press strengths and minimize weaknesses.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

jharthun 
Hacienda Heights, CA

Here's a sample of my chart setup. I'll start posting my entries and exits on Monday.

I usually trade on a much smaller time frame. I think that might be part of the problem.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10 (1 Min)  10_22_2010.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	23892  
adorati
Italy

Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 8

jharthun View Post
I'm finally starting to deal with who I am as a trader. I'm an emotional, inconsistent, and undisciplined trader.

I feel good about my charts. I've changed them several times in the past. For now, that whole routine is over. The charts are not the problem.

In Brett Steenbarger's book, "Enhancing Trader Performance", he stresses the importance of practice and I agree with him. Unfortunately, I'm just too emotional, inconsistent, and undisciplined to practice. I can't stand trading on the simulator. So, I trade with real money and ride the emotional roller coaster.

I want to change who I am and become a disciplined trader, who consistently makes money by keeping the emotions in check. I'm starting this journal with the hope of making that transformation a reality someday.

I can suggest you another couple of great books written by Mark Douglas that could significantly help you in reaching your goal:

1. "The disciplined Trader"
2. "Trading in the Zone"

You can find them from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Mark Douglas: Books

I deeply ran through both books and I discovered a lot of psychological traps that was preventing me from becoming a "disciplined trader". I really suggest you to take the time to read these books.

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

jharthun View Post
Here's a sample of my chart setup. I'll start posting my entries and exits on Monday.

I usually trade on a much smaller time frame. I think that might be part of the problem.

I see you use ART software, do triangles get repaint (appear/disappear)?

jharthun 
Hacienda Heights, CA

Hi Cory,

The triangles are first draw in yellow. This means they are unconfirmed. If price goes beyond the peak, they change color and are confirmed. However, if price goes beyond the base of the triangle, they disappear. So, an entry signal is not valid until the triangle is confirmed. I should also mention that once a triangle is confirmed it never disappears.

I haven't been trading the triangles very much, but I probably should. I usually try to pick tops and bottoms rather than jump into an established trend. Unfortunately, I tend to bail out of trades that don't immediately go my way. Then I sit back and watch as the market takes off one way or the other without me. I often refer to this as getting "spooked" out of an otherwise good trade.

If I traded the triangles, I could wait until the triangle is confirmed or enter before the triangle is confirmed and then set my stop a tick below the base in either case. At least that would give me some structure for managing my risk.

Thanked by:

jharthun 
Hacienda Heights, CA

Hi Adorati,

Thank you for recommending the books by Mark Douglas. I'm planning to look for them at the local library. I often get distracted during the trading day when things slow down. I'll check my email or even walk away from the computer for awhile. I miss some good trades by doing that and get out of sync with what's happening in the market. It sounds like these books might be helpful. What psychological traps where getting in the way for you? Thanks.

Last Updated on May 29, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts