NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,508 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 422

Big Mike View Post
Ok, so stop for a moment, look around, take a deep breath.

To get you going, you might consider putting a post-it note on your monitor next to your DOM that says "WHAT DO THE LONGER TERM CHARTS SAY??". Without knowing your specific method I can't give you more than that, but the point is to write a memorable message. You need to also write something like "IF YOU TRADE AGAINST THE BIGGER PICTURE, YOU ARE AN IDIOT" or whatever floats your boat. The point here is you need a reminder of what NOT following your rules looks like, what it does, what it causes.

I have a trade check list for each of my setups, kind of like a pilot's check list. When I see a trade forming, I run down my check list for that setup. There are times when I over ride something (usually get burned), but it helps a lot.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
43 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Big Mike View Post
Ok, so stop for a moment, look around, take a deep breath.

If you've identified this as your biggest problem, then the next step is for you to kraft a specific action plan to combat the problem. You need to be very specific. To get you going, you might consider putting a post-it note on your monitor next to your DOM that says "WHAT DO THE LONGER TERM CHARTS SAY??". Without knowing your specific method I can't give you more than that, but the point is to write a memorable message. You need to also write something like "IF YOU TRADE AGAINST THE BIGGER PICTURE, YOU ARE AN IDIOT" or whatever floats your boat. The point here is you need a reminder of what NOT following your rules looks like, what it does, what it causes.

Then work on this item or two items every single day for a two week period. Grade yourself daily on how well you executed on these two "post it note" items that you come up with. Don't worry about the net result of the trade itself, just focus on execution. The goal is at the end of the two week period you can look back and say this is now no longer your problem, and you move on to another problem.

I also strongly suggest reading the last two weeks of your journal, post by post, trade by trade, at the end of each week. It will help you reflect and determine if you are running in circles or actually going somewhere

Mike

Mike,

Great advice, and I stopped reading my 'rules' before I trade.

1. This is my business, I love it and it helps me prosper and gives me the opportunities that I choose to create.

2. I choose to be patient, loving and agreeable to what the market is willing to show me.

3. I choose to only trade in areas of high correlation or importance in which increases my chance to communicate respectfully with the market.

4. I choose to be patient and wait for the proper signals to execute my strategy.

5. I will stop trading if I am -3 gifts sum for the day.

6. I will reevaluate each days trading and find perfect trades for a better perspective.

7. I will only trade if I am mentally and physically capable of good performance.

Thanks for reminding me.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Tiger45 View Post
I have a trade check list for each of my setups, kind of like a pilot's check list. When I see a trade forming, I run down my check list for that setup. There are times when I over ride something (usually get burned), but it helps a lot.

Yes, I can see using some techniques that it works very well. I am trading poorly as I am not doing the things I have done in the past for success.

I record each days session using HyperCam and capturing both screens with DOM. This helps me figure out what I do wrong and what I am thinking. I notice that when I am trading poorly that I am not talking or educating myself as the trades go along. The best trading I have done is when I do the following:

1. Read my rules
2. Proper time for prep, setup
3. Have a story, so if market goes long, then this this this, if short, 1..2..3.. etc..
4. Talk through what each indicator is telling me and price action and understand as a student/teacher would see it.

I did none of those today. "I think it is short.." "I think it is long..."...

Terrible, but changeable.

The challenges with a checklist is that this system is HIGHLY discretionary. When you are on it and stay on it, you can easily pull 10 points a day out of the market and every pivot is clear. However, when you go blank like me... well.. You end up BE or slightly negative...

Thanks for the reminders and I love this game.

--EDIT: I used to have a checklist that if 610 wasn't looking good, then I am not going in. I have long stopped doing that and that is probably why I am getting eaten.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

aviat72 View Post
One of the best TF traders I know is a moderator on Hamzei Analytics HFT chat room. She has had some webinars which are available on their website. She is an always in trader who often takes between 10-20 points (100-200 ticks) per contract every day.

This is FYI only. Everyone has their own style but she is good, really good.

Thank you! I will check it out, but I have gone through 100's of systems, 1,000's of indicators and I basically come back to how the market feels to me more than indicators. Sometimes I am grooving and other times, out of groove.

I am always open to learn from others.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Well, -1.3 points (-$130.00) after commission on SIM today.

I am not sure two days couldn't look more alike than yesterday and today on the TF. Of course, I did the same thing:

1. I wasn't talking to myself.

2. I set up confluent areas but ignored them!

3. I didn't stay focused on my trading and revenge traded 3 times.

Trades:

1. -3 ticks, I knew this was a bit dangerous, but I could see it popping from here. Nice separation on BB/MACD and a support area with trendline, but on the wrong side of it. Expecting possible 50% retracement.

2. +1 tick, this I though for sure was going to be a winner. It moved 11 ticks in my favor and then in one fell swoop hit my stop on the nose and went running off to give others profit!

3. -3 ticks, this was my first revenge trade of the day. It was a 50% retracement and nothing else really, but wanted it to go down! haha... My plan was that there was a bear flag on 50K and daily with some separation now building on weekly.

4. No FILL, and happy I didn't. I canceled it quickly.

5. No FILL, I thought this was going to go down, but support was too strong.

6. -2 ticks, this was a retracement off the area for the last trade I believed and a fib area.

7. No FILL, and this moved too quickly for me to get filled. I was looking @ 200MA and keltner aligning. However, the GAP close for the day (blue line) was still a half point away, so I knew it was high risk.

8. -2 ticks, Nice bar setup, MACD's looking weak! However, they sat there for quite a while and no movement and I was thinking that this will retrace so I exited right before it dropped.

9. -5 ticks, REVENGE TRADE! I WILL GET ON THAT SHORT NO MATTER WHAT!

---- Started new day as I reached my threshold (-1.75 for that day)

10. -2 ticks, stupid. emotional, lost focus!

11. --5 ticks. Same @s last trade.

12. +12 ticks, this was a decent trade and had I held it with 5 tick stop would have paid off nicely. This was right after some news and the second it dropped, many of the MACD's had separation to head back up so I exited.

13. +1 tick, well, I thought it was going short soon and this was a bear flag. I was off by just a few minutes! It then dropped about 8 points.

The trades circled are acceptable to me and the others were just not thinking. I was not talking to myself and teaching myself as I traded etc...

Tomorrow is another day!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	24335  

Gary 
Near Dallas, Texas, US

Experience: Advanced
Broker: ZenFire
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 502
Thanks Received: 2,239

bluemele View Post
....---- Started new day as I reached my threshold (-1.75 for that day)....

Hello,

Just curious what you mean here on starting a new day?

Gary

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Gary View Post
Hello,

Just curious what you mean here on starting a new day?

Gary

Typically, I would stop trading for the day and my day would be done and I would stop trading (PERIOD) IF I were trading live. But, to get a bit more experience, I 'pretended' like it is a new day with a new starting balance and start with a 0 balance.

I have a new rule that if I give 3 full gifts in a row or -150.00 per contract, then I will stop trading for the day as I am not seeing it. Had I put this rule into place several months ago, I would probably be very profitable.

It doesn't seem like it now, but I am trading the worst I have in months and hope to get back on my 1.5+ points a day soon. I would have days back then where I would give away 800-900 per contract and I would make it all back in one run OR most likely just stop for the day. So, now I have a tight limit as to limit my over-trading and losses.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Up 9 ticks this morning (SIM) including commissions ($5.00).

I totally misread the bull flag this morning at the start of the NY OPEN.

I thought I saw short, then saw amazing strength all the sudden and I chased my entries and got off on the wrong foot. I then relaxed, breathed, focused on talking to myself, remembering my strategy for the day and focusing on areas.

It was very choppy AGAIN for the first 30 minutes and then a nice trend down. I will be more cautious in the first 30 minutes now for a bit as it seems a definite persistence. I am thinking that there is a real tug-o-war going on between bulls/bears.

Fundamentally I would put more weight of a deeper retrace and I think all it will take is a little bit of unexpected bad news. I think company earnings are holding everything up for the time being, but when government data continues to erode and a weak shopping season could further put things in a spin. WE WILL SEE!

Trades:

1. +0 ticks, Not a bad entry, but I did see a retrace coming on the 144 MACD with some separation so I decided to exit my trade and wait for it.

2. -5 ticks, Ok, now this was not a good trade. I was 1 point from the pivot (chasing) and I assumed the quick drop was a head for the head and shoulders. The 50K chart was looking delicious for a long, the daily looked either way to me and weekly is still long. 4181 and 1597 are all saying short and I could have paid attention.

3. +0 ticks, too early, more to go in this move, so I manually exited, but I thought I got a couple ticks out of it but it didn't fill me till BE.

4. +9 ticks, I was having a lot of noise in my head on this trade. I couldn't focus but my entry was great. I was not feeling confident in my ability at this point and telling myself that it will probably be just another gift. So, I exited at the first slow down! I should have called it a day at that point and I was considering it.

5. +1 tick, I was still thinking long. Boy have I been counter-trend trading lately.

6. +7 ticks, not good entry, lucky I got my few ticks.

7. NO FILL, This looked pretty good, but not great. I liked the 200MA, but the MACD's looked like a little more up.

8. NO FILL, Ok, I was still not feeling super confident! So, it sat on my price for a good 5-10 seconds and didn't fill me on this one either. I didn't chase it as I was having trouble reading direction.

Seems like the last week or two the market has been very 'jumbled' and ranging for the first 30 minutes. This is hard for me to hit any trends clearly and I have not been adapting to this different market condition. I keep thinking I will get those 'trend for the whole day from the Open' days.

Life is good!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	24540  

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

bluemele View Post
Seems like the last week or two the market has been very 'jumbled' and ranging for the first 30 minutes. This is hard for me to hit any trends clearly and I have not been adapting to this different market condition. I keep thinking I will get those 'trend for the whole day from the Open' days.

Life is good!

To capture a max of points you need to become aware of the market structure and develop an accute sense of direction or where is price is more likely to go at key anchor points. That's similar to drawing a curve in Illustrator from Adobe, you can only anticipate the direction to come at key anchor points:

Look at the TF chart below. I have circled key areas where a bounce is likely to occur. Place your trade in relation to these areas.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TF_Pitchfork_20101028v2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	24548  
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

trendisyourfriend View Post
To capture a max of points you need to become aware of the market structure and develop an accute sense of direction or where is price is more likely to go at key anchor points. That's similar to drawing a curve in Illustrator from Adobe, you can only anticipate the direction to come at key anchor points:

Look at the TF chart below. I have circled key areas where a bounce is likely to occur. Place your trade in relation to these areas.

How are you deciding where those points are? I typically use HIGH VOLUME AREAS which are pretty evident from price action, S & R (basic, no pivot point calc's), fibs, trend lines, keltner, 200MA, etc.....

Seems you are using volume, channels, Pivots, MA's etc..

Why do you take those trades? Or did you take those trades?

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts