NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,139 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Ok, so I read it clearly what was happening but the clicks of my mouse didn't seem to correspond. What does this mean?

I have decided I have an issue. haha...

I have a hard time going long when some longer time frames are saying SHORT. Today price action was long and it was clearly long, but for some reason I just couldn't decide to go long? Because the 1597 looked so darn juicy was one or two of those, but that is senseless as it sure could go a long way in one BB and also it could just be a bull flag.

I did something very right today though. I didn't just blindly trade the MACD's which were my big failures throughout February. I was reading price action properly and I was just hitting pivots on MACD setups. The thing I didn't do today was wait for the areas. I actually didn't see many areas today except one short (76) and one long (50) as it seemed to just want to bounce around a bit.

Here ya go!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The choice of instruments to trade
Psychology and Money Management
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Any futures traders in Texas looking to give back to tho …
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
19 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
17 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
12 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

bluemele View Post
Ok, so I read it clearly what was happening but the clicks of my mouse didn't seem to correspond. What does this mean?

I have a hard time going long when some longer time frames are saying SHORT. Today price action was long and it was clearly long, but for some reason I just couldn't decide to go long? Because the 1597 looked so darn juicy was one or two of those, but that is senseless as it sure could go a long way in one BB and also it could just be a bull flag.

I did something very right today though. I didn't just blindly trade the MACD's which were my big failures throughout February. I was reading price action properly and I was just hitting pivots on MACD setups. The thing I didn't do today was wait for the areas. I actually didn't see many areas today except one short (76) and one long (50) as it seemed to just want to bounce around a bit.

Here ya go!

Well I watched most of the video. I have some questions. 1. What do you usually like to see as a target? Is it a fixed number of ticks? A fib level, combination of the two? #2. At about 5:49 on your chart, there was a short of about 9-10 ticks that from what I could tell, set up perfectly. Then prices rebounded to a higher level and then you got short with a BE trade. What was the logic behind taking the trade you did after what appeared to be a HH as opposed to what looked like an obvious short? I confess I am not conversant with your method so the question may appear ignorant (which it is) but I want to understand.

Thanks for the video.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

aztrader9 View Post
Well I watched most of the video. I have some questions. 1. What do you usually like to see as a target? Is it a fixed number of ticks? A fib level, combination of the two? #2. At about 5:49 on your chart, there was a short of about 9-10 ticks that from what I could tell, set up perfectly. Then prices rebounded to a higher level and then you got short with a BE trade. What was the logic behind taking the trade you did after what appeared to be a HH as opposed to what looked like an obvious short? I confess I am not conversant with your method so the question may appear ignorant (which it is) but I want to understand.

Thanks for the video.

Well, the entries are to try and get an end-to-end run. I can hit 7-9 ticks all day and all night.

What I was taught and what I have seen is to get between 2.5 points+ per run and I have seen many get 12-14 points and somewhat consistently dependent upon market conditions.

Horst uses pretty much the same technique but has been doing it a bit longer and has mastered price action a bit better. For months I could be profitable with 1 point or 1.5 point runs, but I have never been able to get the 2.5 consistently!

I would say 25 ticks on TF is probably like 60 or so but just a guess from trading both. But CL is a challenge with such a small stop.

You try and get 3 things for a proper entry:

1. Area, Double Top, bottom, trend line, 61%/100% ext, 76% retracement etc..

2. MACD's in agreement in Multiple Timeframes.

3. Bar Setup. Dual bar (box cars with candles etc.), 3 bar slides, H & S (obvious only)

When you have those 3 magical combinations you have a trade. Due to multiple timeframes you are to tell where it will go etc.. The challenge is sometimes it dances like magic to the tune of Fib's while other times, not so much so you have to figure out when that is. I believe it comes from knowing the instrument and getting more familiar with it.

I had my worst trading last month and honestly I was over-burdened with my move and life in general and as well the market was a bit unusual in my opinion. The land of UP UP UP only and no retracements which is quite rare. Well, not lately.

So, for entry you have the criteria, exit would be where you think it will come back and knock you out. I let it go 1 point in my favor only to knock me out. I was willing to risk it as I felt it could have been short until the end. I also realized that I could be reading it wrong and that the other option was UP and to be aware of possible entries. For some reason I have this 'sticking' point now that I have created to not trade LONG when the indicators are saying that a retracement is in order. Hope that helps and thanks for caring!

HighRise1202 
houston

Platform: nt
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 274

bluemele View Post

Here ya go!

It seems to me Horst has gone short every time I've observed him...and the others who post videos also. I recall it seeming more difficult to catch the bottoms as price dances there more more than at the top.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

er2wizard 
Chicago Burbs

Experience: Master
Platform: NT, TS
Trading: TF, 6E, SI, CL, FDAX, ZN, ES
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 305

HighRise1202 View Post
It seems to me Horst has gone short every time I've observed him...and the others who post videos also. I recall it seeming more difficult to catch the bottoms as price dances there more more than at the top.

If you see more shorts than longs it is purely coincidental........there is absolutely NO difference in strategy or setups. Neither one is more challenging than the other.

“The more I am around people, the more I love my dogs.” ~Author Unknown
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

er2wizard View Post
If you see more shorts than longs it is purely coincidental........there is absolutely NO difference in strategy or setups. Neither one is more challenging than the other.

I would agree. I have heard a study at one point that said beginning traders find shorts easier to follow due to the effects of a life long of living with GRAVITY. haha...

With big bull flags, it throws the indi's off the rails and points to weakness. Of course, we don't know if it will break and fall or continue pushing up and that is the point of the small stops.

Horst is taking Long's as well as shorts, but curious now on the profitability on each for him just lately or the # lately. Technically they seem to take long and short.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Internet on the fritz last night and this morning.

Going to do market replay this afternoon. All of Oahu was having issues I guess with an upgrade from cable company.

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

HighRise1202 View Post

I think exactly the opposite...lol...that the V bottoms in Longs are more easily traded than the rounded tops you get most of the time in shorts......

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

aztrader9 View Post
I think exactly the opposite...lol...that the V bottoms in Longs are more easily traded than the rounded tops you get most of the time in shorts......

I think that means you are an optimist! haha..

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Today was a day of too much too fast. Impatience will kill a trader.

Hit the good entry at the 76 retrace for a nice point or two down. Exited too soon, but the market was moving sooooooo slow that I decided to put myself out of misery and I didn't want to give it back!

Video

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts