NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 233,625 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

travelinman 
Chester Springs, PA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 107
Thanks Received: 50

bluemele View Post
Steve,

Thanks, that is a good post. I agree. I haven't read the book, but many like it and will have to take a look. Right now, time is short, I stayed on the regime for a good many months, and have fell off, on, off, on etc..

Can you point the 'negativity' out specifically from what you see as I see some of it, but would like to see it from your perspective. Of course after a poor day of poor habits it comes out, but specifics would be nice.

Thanks again and wishing you the best on your journey.

I went back to Jan. 12th and looked at all your posts and have about 9 pages I copied over to a word document, there were a few posts from Big Mike and Horst as well in the 9 pages. By negativity I mean you let things creep into your trading world from your subconscious. You seem to go from one day to the next saying you are going to change your plan or follow your plan. You say things like "scaling again way too soon", "Another day of not following the technique", "I didn't hold my trades...I didn't want to risk making a gift", "I didn't stick to my plan", "A couple of trades were not necessary...but overall my plan was good", "I will never 'play around' with the ES again", "I am back to my old very bad habits of in-in-in no matter what the indicators say or even an area.", "I have completely fallen off the wagon here. It is almost like I am trading purposefully opposite of what market direction is. I am back to my old trading style! Disgusting!!!...Seriously, this is terrible. The move has really flustered me and I have come apart at the seams. Patience is really the problem here. Plus a bit of greed", "-108 ticks per contract today...Worst day ever, worst week ever!....I think it is good for me. I have changed my trading style to focus on the longer term trades and it has been a steep curve again."

Okay, that is a few of your comments over the last few weeks, guess the good thing about a journal is you can go back and look at what things you continually are doing wrong, that is if you do go back and look over the past. I'm wondering what Henry would say if you sent all your posts off to him, well I think I have an idea of what he would say.

How many trades do you think Henry, Horst, Roger, Danielle, etc. do in a day, do you do more than they do? How much time do you think that they trade each day and how much time per day do you watch your charts? Do you think that they trade different instruments if they haven't looked at them in awhile? Have you ever watched their videos and than watched yours right after, if you have do you notice any differences in how they talk compared to you?
Just some things to think about. Like I said before I hope you can turn it around and I think it takes guts to put out a trading journal here like you do. But is the journaling here helping you?

I've been trading for years and have spent time with different trading coaches all with very little success. But I really feel like I found the right group with Henry and company. When I joined the group I really thought I would be trading within 30 days, heck it is 2-months now and I still feel that I am about a month away from starting to trade. I have been working on the mental side of things and doing my daily historicals. I have come to realize that I need to tear down some bad habits I acquired trading over the years and build confidence in myself. All that I have learned in the 2-months though I feel that I have gotten my moneys worth. Going up to Toronto in just over a week for a 5-day intense camp with the group...that is going to be very helpful.
Good luck

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

travelinman View Post
I went back to Jan. 12th and looked at all your posts and have about 9 pages I copied over to a word document, there were a few posts from Big Mike and Horst as well in the 9 pages. By negativity I mean you let things creep into your trading world from your subconscious. You seem to go from one day to the next saying you are going to change your plan or follow your plan. You say things like "scaling again way too soon", "Another day of not following the technique", "I didn't hold my trades...I didn't want to risk making a gift", "I didn't stick to my plan", "A couple of trades were not necessary...but overall my plan was good", "I will never 'play around' with the ES again", "I am back to my old very bad habits of in-in-in no matter what the indicators say or even an area.", "I have completely fallen off the wagon here. It is almost like I am trading purposefully opposite of what market direction is. I am back to my old trading style! Disgusting!!!...Seriously, this is terrible. The move has really flustered me and I have come apart at the seams. Patience is really the problem here. Plus a bit of greed", "-108 ticks per contract today...Worst day ever, worst week ever!....I think it is good for me. I have changed my trading style to focus on the longer term trades and it has been a steep curve again."

Okay, that is a few of your comments over the last few weeks, guess the good thing about a journal is you can go back and look at what things you continually are doing wrong, that is if you do go back and look over the past. I'm wondering what Henry would say if you sent all your posts off to him, well I think I have an idea of what he would say.

How many trades do you think Henry, Horst, Roger, Danielle, etc. do in a day, do you do more than they do? How much time do you think that they trade each day and how much time per day do you watch your charts? Do you think that they trade different instruments if they haven't looked at them in awhile? Have you ever watched their videos and than watched yours right after, if you have do you notice any differences in how they talk compared to you?
Just some things to think about. Like I said before I hope you can turn it around and I think it takes guts to put out a trading journal here like you do. But is the journaling here helping you?

I've been trading for years and have spent time with different trading coaches all with very little success. But I really feel like I found the right group with Henry and company. When I joined the group I really thought I would be trading within 30 days, heck it is 2-months now and I still feel that I am about a month away from starting to trade. I have been working on the mental side of things and doing my daily historicals. I have come to realize that I need to tear down some bad habits I acquired trading over the years and build confidence in myself. All that I have learned in the 2-months though I feel that I have gotten my moneys worth. Going up to Toronto in just over a week for a 5-day intense camp with the group...that is going to be very helpful.
Good luck

Steve,

Very good post. Very informative. Yes, agree 100%, and my wife pointed out the same issue. I am beating myself up and it is causing 'negativity' and doubt to creep into my trading. Yes, the last week had been really really negative due to my performance.

I can come up with excuses, but it doesn't matter. I took the trades, it is my choice.

I do not believe the journal to be of a negative consequence and yes it helps me immensely in my opinion. It helps me understand what others see (like you just commented) and transparency and honesty are of the utmost importance for me. I truly don't understand why everyone doesn't have a journal but of course everyone has their own objectives in life.

I did change up the trading a bit as when I go live I start to change the rules. I think that is a 'challenge' when you do not create the rules yourself. I have created many trading systems and learned from others as well and I have always found when the person creates their own rules it becomes a part of them much more quickly. They OWN it. Having said that doesn't make that self-generated system any better and that is why we all have coaches like in any sport/passion etc..

It is truly interesting to see how some of the people from MP trading differently or seeing things differently and it helps me understand that there is no wrong/right, but a nice guideline to keep yourself out of trouble. Yes, Henry's rules are good and he picked some great one's out of other systems/techniques and he definitely saved me what I believe to be years of frustration.

Thanks for the post. Aloha!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

+1.4 points today per contract

Ok, today as a day where I waited for my better entry. Even though it wasn't more than the 2 points I am looking for it was not a bad entry considering the movement. I do feel that shorts were the better option as the weekly, daily and 50K area all saying we could head down quite a bit.

Something I noticed on Ninja today was that my charts were not accurate and I had to reload historical data. something I have to make sure I do from now on.

Steady trading, pretty clear and focused on building positive momentum.

Oh, and I was asked if I am a VENDOR. NOPE. Just a dude focused on trading as a profession.

Today's Vid

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	30995  
Thanked by:
 travelinman 
Chester Springs, PA

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES, 6E, CL
Thanks Given: 107
Thanks Received: 50

Hi Bluemele,

Have you used Tradestation at all in the past, and if you did how do you like using Ninja compared to TS? I have both platforms, and have always liked TS charts better, just seemed to be more flexible. I like the Workspaces (being able to click through them for different instruments) and I like having a price data window either on each workspace or by using my pointer on a price bar for shortcut data window. I keep thinking of looking at the MACD-BB indicators on my Ninja charts to see if it is something that I would use. I would save data fees if I changed over to just Ninja and I like their Chart Trader to trade off the charts and DOM to trade over TS Matrix. Ninja seems to have gotten more flexible with version 7, I just need to spend more time using the charts to get a better feel for it.

I think Journaling is important too, I was wondering if doing the thread here was helping you or not. Sounds like it is and I commend you for doing it. Not too many people put their trading journal out there for all to see.

Take care and good luck ,
Steve

cjsiding 
WA,USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: ES,6E
Thanks Given: 83
Thanks Received: 42

Hey Bluemele,
Noticed that when you thought your charts where not updating, some of your charts where scrolled to the left to far. Very easy to not notice when you have many charts up at once.

Thanked by:
 dsherman 
Michigan

Broker: Optimus/Vision & Stage5/Vision
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 18

cjsiding View Post
Hey Bluemele,
Noticed that when you thought your charts where not updating, some of your charts where scrolled to the left to far. Very easy to not notice when you have many charts up at once.

I also noticed that. In the video, just before the 8 minute mark, notice the triangle in the upper right hand is black indicating that it is not scrolled all the way to the end. The charts are also expanded so you can not see the time line at the bottom on several of the charts.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

travelinman View Post
Hi Bluemele,

Have you used Tradestation at all in the past, and if you did how do you like using Ninja compared to TS? I have both platforms, and have always liked TS charts better, just seemed to be more flexible. I like the Workspaces (being able to click through them for different instruments) and I like having a price data window either on each workspace or by using my pointer on a price bar for shortcut data window. I keep thinking of looking at the MACD-BB indicators on my Ninja charts to see if it is something that I would use. I would save data fees if I changed over to just Ninja and I like their Chart Trader to trade off the charts and DOM to trade over TS Matrix. Ninja seems to have gotten more flexible with version 7, I just need to spend more time using the charts to get a better feel for it.

I think Journaling is important too, I was wondering if doing the thread here was helping you or not. Sounds like it is and I commend you for doing it. Not too many people put their trading journal out there for all to see.

Take care and good luck ,
Steve

Hey Steve,

I LOVE NINJA! I have used MT4, and TradeStation quite a bit. I don't want to use the "HATE" word, but TradeStation feels like I am dealing w/ the dark-side.

I enjoy chart trading and I started using Ninja back in Feb 10' originally, but I couldn't get the darn indicators to scale up/down so I gave up. Then in March they changed it (without me knowing) and then Cory I believe pointed me to a fix and got me going! Thank you CORY!

Then, after using it on the side for a while I see that HORST is doing it! I was so happy to see that!

So, in a nutshell there is some adjustment, but in my opinion, worth it!!!

I love the journal as it lives and breathes my journey.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

cjsiding View Post
Hey Bluemele,

Oh, that could have been it! haha... I will take a look.

I do market replay so often that it is definitely and issue! So I figured... You are probably right and my mistake most likely.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

dsherman View Post
I also noticed that. In the video, just before the 8 minute mark, notice the triangle in the upper right hand is black indicating that it is not scrolled all the way to the end. The charts are also expanded so you can not see the time line at the bottom on several of the charts.

Wow. You are right and thank you for actually watching and helping me catch some challenges!

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Ok, today's best trade in my opinion occurred at news time. That is why I probably didn't give it too much energy.

It was a beauty though.

My perfect day review. Gotta run to cross-fit and make myself vomit from over-exertion.

Aloha!

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts