NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 233,625 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

cory View Post
its kind of simple so there is no instruction, for tf try scale = 1. To drag the chart down, hold down crtl key, position your cursor in middle of a chart hold down mouse key and drag it down, it might look like nothing happen to the chart but if you stretch/squeeze the chart afterward it will move down, reverse to move up.

Cory,

THANKS! This helps immensely.

Now, a couple of issues using it.

When I put it on the 'panel' with the indicator MACDBB, it then changes the reference vertical calculation to match the pricing of the bars. For example price on TF is 736.3, so when I put that indi on the MACDBB, the reference on the right side gets changed to 736.3 instead of 0.

I tried then pressing control and dragging, but no luck as after about 350 units the screen goes blank (I think because price hasn't reached down that far historically). However, when I go to change any settings and hit apply, it looks perfect! But after I hit "OK", it then starts using the TF Pricing scale again?

I would like to have this working on my indicator (using the right scale) and my chart.

It works great on the chart!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	25392   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	25393  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

aviat72 View Post
Cory could you please explain what exactly did does?

From the code it seems that it changes the location of each chart object (nice to know how to access it). But can't we do that by pressing control and then scrolling along the Y-axis?

I can't seem to move the charts VERTICALLY using Ninja. So, Cory just passed on the indicator that allows me to drag the bars up/down and even off-screen. I don't know how to do this any other way and if you do, great! Please share.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

trendisyourfriend View Post
bluemele, when you have time, would you mind posting how you interpret price action in relation to the MACD indicator. Or how do you read the MACD ?

Yes, I will do that. The issue is I use two screens and they are inter-connected, so to do that requires a very large image. Thanks, and I guess I have been lazy.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

tradestack View Post
I've tried to trade TF a few times. It's moves are very violent. If you can get on the right side of it, you can rack up some gains in a hurry.

It moves beautifully to me. I am not doing well with it now, but I have and will again when I get my arms around the changes I have been making.

For me, there is a very limited mindset that will limit your winners. The way my mentors and others using this technique successfully all do is that they let the trades run for much longer than I do.

So, for example, I will usually make 2-5 points (20 - 50 ticks) on a good day. However, my loser days will be 15 - 20 ticks (1.5 - 2.0 points).

However, what I found was I was trading for smaller and smaller wins over time. I went from 3 points to 2 points to 1 point per day. Yuck! When you have 3 - 10 tick winning days and two -20 tick days, well... Not real promising.

So, over the last few weeks I have been working on unraveling the poor trading habits I picked up a few months back (which I did reasonably well with) and focus on being ok and letting it ride for much longer. If I lose 20 give away temporarily 20 ticks, then no big deal as I will make 50-70-90 the next day.

My LONGEST Trade ever was 188 ticks.

My Best day was 220+ ticks (same day) and I have slowly gone downhill from there. Time to start dancing the dance, singing the same melody or whatever comparison I can think up.

TF, CL are my favorites, but for me, I will focus on mastering the TF as I am inches away. It may seem like a long ways, but you can see I am hitting pivot areas and just missing the good days. I will be there soon enough and then consistency will set in.

It is like anything, you get worse before you get better.

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

bluemele View Post
Cory,

When I put it on the 'panel' with the indicator MACDBB, ...?

I would like to have this working on my indicator (using the right scale) and my chart.

It works great on the chart!

I think it works on price panel only.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

bluemele View Post
I can't seem to move the charts VERTICALLY using Ninja. So, Cory just passed on the indicator that allows me to drag the bars up/down and even off-screen. I don't know how to do this any other way and if you do, great! Please share.

I just realized that it seems the new Ninja has been updated to do exactly like you said. However, you still have to go over and click on the axis which is a bit annoying.

It does do it though! Sweet. Let me play with it some.

If this works, I will hopefully be out of TS very soon! Now, I just need a HLC bar type in NT7!

Linds 
Victoria, Australia

Platform: NT, MT4
Broker: NT
Trading: Bund , ASX 200
Thanks Given: 982
Thanks Received: 533

Hey B
You can create an OHC bar on NT6.5 or 7 by adding an SMA1to the 'HiLo' type bar. Then set 'calc on close of bar' to false and display it as a dot or a hash instead of a line. You probably knew that but just in case.....

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

Linds View Post
Hey B
You can create an OHC bar on NT6.5 or 7 by adding an SMA1to the 'HiLo' type bar. Then set 'calc on close of bar' to false and display it as a dot or a hash instead of a line. You probably knew that but just in case.....

You could just as well use this indicator :

HLCloseLines modified by FatTails for NT7 :

Same version by the orginal author (eDanny) from www.integrity-traders.com :

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

bluemele View Post
Yes, I will do that. The issue is I use two screens and they are inter-connected, so to do that requires a very large image. Thanks, and I guess I have been lazy.

That's just the general rules you use i am interested in. I am curious as judging from your entries in the examples posted you seem to favor counter trend entries when the momentum is increasing in the MACD but against you. I can't see how you can win with this procedure but it's difficult to tell judging from a few charts.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

trendisyourfriend View Post
That's just the general rules you use i am interested in. I am curious as judging from your entries in the examples posted you seem to favor counter trend entries when the momentum is increasing in the MACD but against you. I can't see how you can win with this procedure but it's difficult to tell judging from a few charts.

Yes, it is pivot trading (counter-trend on smaller trend).

I am supposed to be trading with the trend. That has been the single biggest issue of trading against the larger trend as your indicators will not give as clear an entry on the trend trades. I am getting better at identifying those trends, but even so, counter-trend trading with MACD's is possible.

My mentor has a site that you can see the vids, but I don't want to make it seem like I am pushing his services.

If you had internal access, you could see how effective this is as you will see students videos. I also have videos, but I stretch my indi's across two screens so most people can't figure out how to view the AVI file.

I will see if I can put a video up on screencast.com to share with you an effective day. I am in the middle of changing from shorter term (scalping) to longer term (trending) so I am 'ruffled' at the moment trying to get it through my head.

I also use a couple indi's (just hints) that they do not use.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, quite a few students are pulling 10 points a day out of the market with little effort. Yes, they have losing days and guess the wrong direction of the trend, but the winners far outweigh the bad. I think the key is the R:R. 1:6...... Pretty good.

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts