NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,750 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

bluemele View Post
Boy do I feel tired! My gosh.

Came out of the gates a bit aggressive for LONG, but none of my trades turned to gold, so I am ok with that. I figured it was going long today but those setups were a challenge for me today! My wife got slaughtered today. It went long but boy did it shake guys like me off.

The important thing is your losing day today is smaller than your winning day yesterday. I think this is a big deal. Way to go.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Could it be that currency futures are way easier to trade?
Currencies
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

PandaWarrior View Post
The important thing is your losing day today is smaller than your winning day yesterday. I think this is a big deal. Way to go.

Agree! Plus I think key was my emotions over it.

Time for a nap! haha... I figured it was going up. But, I couldn't find my entry which happens.

That is the other critical element is that the direction was good on the longer term.

Thanks for your support!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

@vovan348 sent me a private message. He mentioned that I am 'blaming' the market in my post which I believe him to be accurate.

The lack of clarity I had was completely my own responsibility and like @HighRise1202 showed, I could have opted to stay out.

If you guys want to watch Horst on not the best day trading the ES, this is it. If you do not believe him to be legit then why would he post this? (Not that I need to prove it to anyone, but I just enjoy sharing)

Horst Trades ES September 27, 2011 - YouTube

(I enjoy watching his not so good days, as I learn from his emotional attitude)

HighRise1202 
houston

Platform: nt
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 274

bluemele View Post

Bluemele, yesterday you said you didn't like the BBs on a big chart. Horst said the indicators were out of sync. I said I saw mixed signals. It seems to me that all translates to, "Danger, Will Robinson!" It's also a validation that the indicators work.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Ok, not counting today as 'live' trades although YES, they are on SIM. Woke up 2 hours late due to kids up sick, so I would have missed the market.

Had some tough trades, then walked away from the screen and kept watching and started 'playing' and just clicking clicking clicking and speeding up market replay because I had to get some work done.

I can't wait till I can start trading the live market again when daylight savings happens.

1. Moving my stops today killed me. I could have been done very quickly with 2-3 points.

2. The big bars (1 points) made it an especially difficult market to get in the entry and I should have realized that.

3. I wasn't getting filled at all today. To me, that with the big bars means volume is a bit light compared to the last few weeks.

4. I saw the general directions well but had a hard time hanging on due to back-n-forth.

5. I didn't see the big short coming at all.

6. I could have waited for it to hit my target and that is the fine line between being scared and trusting your indicators or at least your interpretation of your indicators!

I give myself a C- for today's grade. I will wake up on time tomorrow hopefully since the kids will be better.

+.4 points.mp4

Thanked by:

vovan348 
Moscow

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trade Nav., NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 612
Thanks Received: 406

bluemele View Post
Ok, not counting today as 'live' trades although YES, they are on SIM. Woke up 2 hours late due to kids up sick, so I would have missed the market.

Had some tough trades, then walked away from the screen and kept watching and started 'playing' and just clicking clicking clicking and speeding up market replay because I had to get some work done.

I can't wait till I can start trading the live market again when daylight savings happens.

1. Moving my stops today killed me. I could have been done very quickly with 2-3 points.

2. The big bars (1 points) made it an especially difficult market to get in the entry and I should have realized that.

3. I wasn't getting filled at all today. To me, that with the big bars means volume is a bit light compared to the last few weeks.

4. I saw the general directions well but had a hard time hanging on due to back-n-forth.

5. I didn't see the big short coming at all.

6. I could have waited for it to hit my target and that is the fine line between being scared and trusting your indicators or at least your interpretation of your indicators!

I give myself a C- for today's grade. I will wake up on time tomorrow hopefully since the kids will be better.

I'm gonna post it again:

Use no more than a 2-point stop in most cases, and do NOT move them. If you are wrong, take your hit and look to make it up on the next trade. Moving your stop will end your trading days very quickly and is the worst habit you can form, unless of course you are tightening it, which will actually improve your money management!

I think you should keep your stop where you think price should not go!!! If it took you out you were wrong and should wait for the next setup.

Look at the fibs on the higher time frame. Why that short was a surprise for you? From the deep it went to 38%, then pull back, then to the 50% and so on.

I know you are better than this. Get yourself together!!! You did go with direction, but you couldn't stay in the trade for 9 times. Common dude. It seems like you got some separation from the rail. Get back on!!!!!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Yes, some days moving the stops costs me. I would say probably 60% of the time, but sometimes it 'saves' me. The only stops I move though is to 'tighten' but before I let it breathe. Today it cost me. For sure.

My two big issues:

1. Letting my trades run to targets

2. Tightening stops too soon.

You are right.

Thanked by:

vovan348 
Moscow

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trade Nav., NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 612
Thanks Received: 406

Just look at this picture:

It went to the deep first then this morning we got to 38%, pull back, to the 50%, pull back, to 62%, pull back. Horst shows it in his videos all the time.

Sorry wrong thread. Haha.. I had to post it in my journal.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 HighRise1202 
houston

Platform: nt
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 274

vovan348 View Post
Just look at this picture:

Attachment 50460

It went to the deep first then this morning we got to 38%, pull back, to the 50%, pull back, to 62%, pull back. Horst shows it in his videos all the time.

Sorry wrong thread. Haha.. I had to post it in my journal.

Yes, Vovan, thanks for the chart! Trading should be easy.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Well, today was a day of experimentation, but I will count it towards my totals. It seems like if you change up even the smallest things that your trading goes to hell in a handbasket for a little while then it gets smoothed out. Maybe I am wrong or there is a way to avoid this, but not sure.

Large Drawdown with a late game recovery. My old habits I would have probably been up about 1.3 points and called it a day OR I would have left this trading today at -3 ticks after my 8th trade. My usual method is more about capital preservation than profit making and it shows.

The opening session is a lot of ranging, then a nice run after 10am EST. That is fine, but I was confused as I thought it was going long.

The sad thing is that I did my best to just leave my stops, and let my profits run. I did it until I kept getting knocked out, then I went back to 50/50 of that.

I was taking trades in terrible locations and I was trading scared after a while.

I am changing the way I am trading and that is why I am not profitable I believe or that my losses are larger. That is OK for me now as I have to get to 3 points per day average and right now the 2 points aren't cutting it.

Oh, so my 3 major things I am working on as mentioned:

1. Leave stops (75% today)
2. Let profits run (had 2 good targets on short and got out at first, but 2nd time short at end was not patient)
3. keep trading even after I have a profit and feel fresh (Good today as I stayed in the game)

Video

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts