NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,750 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Trankuility View Post
I was going to mention the same thing. Trade the Euro open. But I see it was mentioned already. I have a similar challenge to you, with being up early for the open. I'm in California. Funny though, the other day my girlfriend asked, "Do you HAVE to wake up so early??" And I replied, "For now, yeah. Someday if we move to Europe or Asia then it will be much easier. But hey, at least we don't live in Hawaii. That would be the worst timezone to live in!". And then today I read your journal and see that you're in Hawaii, haha. But yeah, I feel your pain on getting up early. They need to make an exchange on the west coast!

Yes, it truly is probably the most challenging time zone. My wife is from Japan and trading at 11pm is doable with a nice nap, but the London open isn't my favorite but something I have noticed is the nice sustained moves it makes around that time for the entire day! I could go to sleep and make 200 ticks.

P.S. We plan on moving to Europe in the future.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
72 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
16 thanks
 emini_Holy_Grail 
Dallas,TX

Platform: NinjaTrader, OpenQuant
Broker: Zaner/Zen Fire
Trading: ES,6E,6B,GC,CL
Thanks Given: 176
Thanks Received: 126

BlueMele
can you give link to anamACD BB Lines indicator and give exact name so i can search in download area, as it needs the full name to search. thks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Here you go!

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: MACDBB.zip
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

I am tired tonight. No trading.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Ok, so here is my dilemma. I think a conclusion I had come to last year when we got away from Hawaii so we could trade.

Trading at the London Open hasn't been the same or even close. 6E at the London open moves fast, then nothing for an hour, then fast, etc.. Hard to trade for an hour in that time. So, I thought, well I will trade the other guys (CL, FDAX, etc..) and maybe that is just because things are going a bit crazy right now with the markets but it was a roller coaster ride. I was too tired last night to really put in the effort, but just watching the charts was, how do you say... "BORING!". haha.. Come back in 15 minutes, oh, it moved 3 ticks!!! Wow! Then, for no reason I can find maybe besides volume (which I don't find because it isn't something I trade using) it starts trending and going.

humdrum, must find a solution.

CL was interesting to watch.

So far, my best trading has been when I make small wins consistently trading TF in the morning. 18 months of trading a method to which is extremely physical challenging to incorporate into my lifestyle. Interesting......

Thanked by:

Trankuility 
California

Platform: FxTrade/Ninjatrader
Broker: Oanda/MBT
Trading: Eur/Usd
Thanks Given: 54
Thanks Received: 151

I trade from 4:45am to 7:30am. From 6am-7am things usually slow down and it seems I get less trades, if any, during this time. This also happens when I trade the first hours of Asian. I have two monitors and pull up the net on the second one. But I only look at positive things like humor sites, fun video clips, etc.. It helps pass the time until moves start happening again and it keeps me in good spirits. If you don't have at least 2 monitor maybe get one and try doing the same thing. Might make it easier to pass the time during London's slow periods.

Until you move seems like you're gonna have a rough time regardless of the session. So just gotta pick the lesser of the evils. It sucks, I know! hah.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Trankuility View Post
I trade from 4:45am to 7:30am. From 6am-7am things usually slow down and it seems I get less trades, if any, during this time. This also happens when I trade the first hours of Asian. I have two monitors and pull up the net on the second one. But I only look at positive things like humor sites, fun video clips, etc.. It helps pass the time until moves start happening again and it keeps me in good spirits. If you don't have at least 2 monitor maybe get one and try doing the same thing. Might make it easier to pass the time during London's slow periods.

Until you move seems like you're gonna have a rough time regardless of the session. So just gotta pick the lesser of the evils. It sucks, I know! hah.

Haha... Yes, we moved away last year, but had to come back to finish out a subdivision that I didn't know if we would get approval or not. Most of my profitable trading was done in San Diego.

I think the strategy or technique is a strong counter-trend strategy with pivots, so on a slow trending market it can be like watching glue dry.

I have done the same, but I am not a night-person, so I think that is going to be impossible for me.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Wow, what a day! Almost a repeat of yesterday.

Here are the emotions that I don't express.

1. Long term says down, why aren't you going down?

2. Ok, this is the area, it HAS TO BE this area.

3. You have got to be kidding me. Does this method work?

4. Why am I falling apart here? It has to be the trendiness of the market.

5. Man, what is going on?

6. I have no idea what I am doing.....

Yesterday on market replay was much the same. It seems like lately the larger the separation the more unlikely it will move the direction that I am thinking it will go. VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATED. To the point beyond emotions.

Market = UP UP UP UP UP UP UP UP, DOWN (ok, why here) Oh of course, this extension but the other 200 extensions didn't really matter and that was a fake-out. Ok, but why this extension? hmmmm.... Oh, it went down for 3 points and then back UP UP UP UP UP UP UP, but the long term say down or weakness, "No, of course they don't", "Ok, why not", well "because". Ok, so what is the answer.... aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Video

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

Remember to ask yourself important questions when reviewing.

- Does your plan adequately prepare you for the market you were trading?
- Was your plan clear enough, did you know what you were supposed to be doing?
- Did you do it?
- If not, why not? And how can you improve this in the future to not repeat this mistake again?

Grade yourself on aspects like overtrading, profit taking, setting stops correctly, following rules, etc. Pick one or two target areas and get specific -- then set a specific goal you will work on exclusively for the next 2 weeks. An example: if over trading is the problem, the goal is 3 trades a day. If profit taking is the problem, the goal is something like don't move the first target in closer, leave it alone, no matter what. If the goal is related to stops --- like you picked direction correctly but were stopped, then focus on entry timing and proper stop setting.

Just some examples. Get specific. Don't try to do everything at once, just pick one or two. Make big post-it notes. Put them on your monitor, on your desk, etc. "THINGS I MUST DO TODAY", and two bullet points.

Grade yourself daily -- did you do them?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

JohnnyAustin 
Austin, TX

Broker: Amp and Zenfire
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 435

I absolutely understand where you are coming from regarding your statement of how the market must be doing "x" and it isn't. Truth is, it doesn't really matter what it is SUPPOSED to be doing, does it? All what matters is what it is doing. Over the next two or three weeks, it may do what you think it will do, but who cares about two to three weeks from. What matters is what is happening on your screen right then. I had this same problem last week or the week before, when I saw this.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

It doesn't matter what anything or everything is telling you if the market shrugs it off.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts