NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,508 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

HighRise1202 
houston

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nt
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 274

bluemele View Post
My project here in Hawaii is about to break ground so it should be interesting as my schedule will be VERY VERY busy but trading will be my #1 concern.

Thanks: your thread content and advice from you and others have helped me tremendously. Thanks all.
Advice: make your job number one, over trading, as long as you have the job. Somehow, seemingly magically, that attitude will help your trading efforts.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

HighRise1202 View Post
Thanks: your thread content and advice from you and others have helped me tremendously. Thanks all.
Advice: make your job number one, over trading, as long as you have the job. Somehow, seemingly magically, that attitude will help your trading efforts.

Yes. I don't really have a 'job' but investments that require 'nurturing' and fire control. The joy of being an investor/developer again.

I think that is a big part of it as well is having stable and consistent cashflow, otherwise I am trading with scared money. In about 1 year I should have plenty of cashflow/cash to secure the type of trading I need, but it is going to be a slog.

Your welcome for anything I have done for you. This journal is for me to get better and any secondary benefits are great.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Vincent Vega View Post
Hello bluemele.
i'm new here and just started to read this thread.
it looks very interesting,i watched some of the videos too via your
youtube channel.
can you share the templates & indicators suited for NinjaTrader 7?
Thank you.

Hello! Well, if you go back through the thread, I do have them attached throughout.

Go to the paperclip on the top right. Play with NinjaTrader a while to see if you can figure it out and find other threads as I honestly don't have the patience to walk someone through doing it all. Sorry....

Just FYI, this is not a get-rich quick scenario and requires a couple years of good practice. But, out of all the systems I have seen, this has been the most 'accurate' but probably one of the most cumbersome as well. Takes a special person to keep going on this.

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

bluemele View Post
Takes a special person to keep going on this.

Yea.... special needs lol

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

I have to admit, today I was lucky.

Lucky to take the trade I did. My wife missed it and gave several gifts afterwards. I would have probably done the same, maybe not.

3 trades:

1. No issue, just got a little retrace.

2. Went to BE too soon.

3. I feel lucky to have been filled.

All-n-all, today I feel lucky. Should I feel lucky? Hmmm. I know I could choose to feel grateful and appreciate, but what about Lucky? Does lucky tell myself that I am not a good trader and I just 'lucked' out. What is lucky the combination of skill and opportunity?

I am just feeling lucky today.

Video

Thanked by:

vovan348 
Moscow

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trade Nav., NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 612
Thanks Received: 406

bluemele View Post

Lucky to take the trade I did. My wife missed it and gave several gifts afterwards. I would have probably done the same, maybe not.

3 trades:

2. Went to BE too soon.

All-n-all, today I feel lucky. Should I feel lucky? Hmmm. I know I could choose to feel grateful and appreciate, but what about Lucky? Does lucky tell myself that I am not a good trader and I just 'lucked' out. What is lucky the combination of skill and opportunity?

I think get lucky it's when you take 20 trades and 2 of them work. Get three trades and make 3 points not so much.

But feel lucky is always good. I think by the end of the day your number in PNL shows you if you are a good trader or bad. I would say even not by the end of the DAY, but by the end of the PERIOD you set for yourself.

You can get lucky once in a while. If you can make profit from day to day that's not just luck, that's something more

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

bluemele View Post

3 trades:

2. Went to BE too soon.

I think luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparation. The unsuccessful look at success as luck. The successful look at success and see hard disciplined work.

To say you are just lucky is a misstatement. To say you worked hard to implement a plan, followed that plan and then reaped the reward is more accurate.

Let the unsuccessful call you lucky. You just stand there with a grin on your face because you know the truth.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:

vovan348 
Moscow

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trade Nav., NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 612
Thanks Received: 406

I just watched your video.

Do you still think that 5 ticks stop is right think to do? All you three trades could be just one this stop one tick above of the high. I know that's a bigger stop. If you want to use 5 ticks stop you should get in 4 ticks below the high max. That's just my thought.

When I just started my journal Big Mike said: "Most people set their stops based on pain threshold. This makes no sense, set your stop based on price action. If required stop is too big for your pain threshold, don't take the trade at all." And I understand why!

And here is another thing that I've heard a few times already from different traders:"- Use no more than a 2-point stop in most cases, and do NOT move them. If you are wrong, take your hit and look to make it up on the next trade. Moving your stop will end your trading days very quickly and is the worst habit you can form, unless of course you are tightening it, which will actually improve your money management! ".

I think you got that habit now. I mean if that makes you more comfortable with you trading I can not tell you stop doing it. I remember when I used 5 ticks stop loss it would make me to get in the trade over and over again before it runs in my favor without 5 ticks retrace.

Nice exit on your last trade.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

vovan348 View Post
I just watched your video.

Do you still think that 5 ticks stop is right think to do? All you three trades could be just one this stop one tick above of the high. I know that's a bigger stop. If you want to use 5 ticks stop you should get in 4 ticks below the high max. That's just my thought.

When I just started my journal Big Mike said: "Most people set their stops based on pain threshold. This makes no sense, set your stop based on price action. If required stop is too big for your pain threshold, don't take the trade at all." And I understand why!

And here is another thing that I've heard a few times already from different traders:"- Use no more than a 2-point stop in most cases, and do NOT move them. If you are wrong, take your hit and look to make it up on the next trade. Moving your stop will end your trading days very quickly and is the worst habit you can form, unless of course you are tightening it, which will actually improve your money management! ".

I think you got that habit now. I mean if that makes you more comfortable with you trading I can not tell you stop doing it. I remember when I used 5 ticks stop loss it would make me to get in the trade over and over again before it runs in my favor without 5 ticks retrace.

Nice exit on your last trade.

Yes, I sometimes take larger than 5. With 5 I should be OK unless the market is a bit crazy.

The 5 ticks has nothing to do with 'pain threshold'. It has to be with being wrong and the risk/reward associated. I may change it in the future. But, if you look at Horst's worst days they have all been because of larger stops.

Just my preference for now. I try to time it where my entry will be on the edge of a run, if it hits my stop then I will most likely be wrong. I could easily move my stops to 10 ticks and end up trading much longer and end up maybe at the same point.

Stops may be something I revisit along with number of charts in the future. I think in these more volatile times, 5 ticks is pretty tough.

Thanks for the insight though!

Edit: Oh, and most traders just click and hope.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Boy do I feel tired! My gosh.

Came out of the gates a bit aggressive for LONG, but none of my trades turned to gold, so I am ok with that. I figured it was going long today but those setups were a challenge for me today! My wife got slaughtered today. It went long but boy did it shake guys like me off.

Not a proud trading day, but honestly I don't feel too bad. Felt like there was some people playing with large quantities to push price up/down very quickly and then they would leave the market. It was hard to pick the tempo of the music for me today.

I was down to -3.6 points today which is not too bad, but my goal is to avoid that altogether. I will never have perfect trading and since today's tempo changed with a lot of ranging then I am ok emotionally.

In the past I would have been angry, upset, frustrated, revenge trading etc. but I kept focused on trading what I see and remembering that a good setup will occur several times so be patient! It helps!

Video

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts