NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TF day trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 759 posts (1,373 thanks)
    2. looks_two vovan348 with 99 posts (57 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HighRise1202 with 77 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 43 posts (74 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bluemele with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vovan348 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 234,508 views
    2. thumb_up 1,786 thanks given
    3. group 65 followers
    1. forum 1,324 posts
    2. attach_file 239 attachments

Search this Thread

TF day trading

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

HighRise1202 View Post
What Keltner settings do you use, please?
TIA

Sorry, @HighRise1202,

I figured they were defaulted, but just found out they weren't.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	46159  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
32 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

kronie 
NYC + NY / USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: "I trade, therefore, I AM!"; Theme Song: "Atomic Dog!"
Trading: EMD, 6J, ZB

your chart trading skills are amazing,

I didn't see you right click, select, or anything else,

do you have them set hotkey?

pm me, if these details are too good to be publically posted,

I (like everyone else) am getting ripped by the ATM, using the conservative trailing stop.

on just 3 orders today, it saved the bacon many times, but otherwise, they have done 2 things (the algo-rythmic traders / engines)

1) broken their order size down to the average trading range per level/tick so that their huge 700 car orders are broken up into so many pieces that it takes quarters to complete (15min segments in sequence); just look at the long extended rallies from yesterday, almost out of no where

2) they are freely running stops, because of the thin book on ER2 / TF / Russell2000. Using the cummulative feature of the dome, you can see the displayed net total of bids / asks on the 5 levels.

I have never seen such a thin book on TF / ER2, as has been the case. It makes the case for trading it, hard to justify, because of the thinness of the book. For whatever reason, traders have vacated this contract for better shores and deeper waters. Take a look at some of the currencies (your choice), or the crudes, or the big daddy ES and ZN and ZB in comparison.

I was watching yoiur video, and was amazed you traded the chop with success and a protective atm that protected you, although on your trade reports the slippage probably showed you entered / exited same price (essentially traded against yourself), instead of getting that +1.

ok, justsome observations and questions

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

kronie View Post
your chart trading skills are amazing,

I didn't see you right click, select, or anything else,

do you have them set hotkey?

pm me, if these details are too good to be publically posted,

I (like everyone else) am getting ripped by the ATM, using the conservative trailing stop.

on just 3 orders today, it saved the bacon many times, but otherwise, they have done 2 things (the algo-rythmic traders / engines)

1) broken their order size down to the average trading range per level/tick so that their huge 700 car orders are broken up into so many pieces that it takes quarters to complete (15min segments in sequence); just look at the long extended rallies from yesterday, almost out of no where

2) they are freely running stops, because of the thin book on ER2 / TF / Russell2000. Using the cummulative feature of the dome, you can see the displayed net total of bids / asks on the 5 levels.

I have never seen such a thin book on TF / ER2, as has been the case. It makes the case for trading it, hard to justify, because of the thinness of the book. For whatever reason, traders have vacated this contract for better shores and deeper waters. Take a look at some of the currencies (your choice), or the crudes, or the big daddy ES and ZN and ZB in comparison.

I was watching yoiur video, and was amazed you traded the chop with success and a protective atm that protected you, although on your trade reports the slippage probably showed you entered / exited same price (essentially traded against yourself), instead of getting that +1.

ok, justsome observations and questions

Well, thank you. I do not believe I did anything unusual that I don't typically do except maybe a bit more cautious due to the large moves. Hard to get entries with 5 ticks on TF when conditions are like this.

I don't notice the 'book' so much and I just have a chart open on my other screen that shows me the 440 tick which has chart trader open. It felt like I was trading the CL on steroids which was interesting.

If you want to watch some good trading and someone who may not be a master yet but close, then check out er2wizardhorst on youtube. Horst is my inspiration and he had a tough month in July (still profitable) but he is someone for me to follow for now.

I don't bother thinking about other traders really, just what the charts are showing me and trading what I see. Something a few on here keep pounding into my head.

I think Horst was up like 4 points today in less than 15 minutes. On the ES no less...

vovan348 
Moscow

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Trade Nav., NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, TF, 6E
Thanks Given: 612
Thanks Received: 406

I see you improving every day!!!

And I can finally hear you!

Keep it up! Stay green!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Another interesting day. I wish I could have taken the long out of the open, but with such small stops there is just no way.

It was pretty easy to predict that the market was going up. 2nd day in a row that the pivot was 4 minutes prior to the opening bell.

There are very well respected S&R lines along with fibs retr and ext, so there is no reason why a trader can't pull a few points out of the markets unless they are not thinking clearly.

I realized from yesterdays video that I was looking for future trades, but I was thinking about past trades. That is evident in yesterdays vid and something I must be aware of.

2 trades, 1 gift 5 ticks and 1 good trade. Happy with my exit.

video

P.S. Horst was up 11 points... Caught a great move...

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Not earth shattering, but something that I can do better from "Trading in the Zone":

Quoting 
The loss doesn't create any emotional damage, because I don't interpret the experience negatively. To
me, losses are simply the cost of doing business or the amount of money I need to spend to make
myself available for the winning trades. If, on the other hand, the trade turns out to be a winner, in most
cases I know for sure at what point I am going to take my profits. (If I don't know for sure, I certainly
have a veiy good idea.) The best traders are in the "now moment" because there's no stress. There's no
stress because there's nothing at risk other than the amount of money they are willing to spend on a
trade. They are not trying to be right or trying to avoid being wrong; neither are they trying to prove
anything. If and when the market tells them that their edges aren't working or that it's time to take
profits, their minds do nothing to block this information. They completely accept what the market is
offering them, and they wait for the next edge.

Quoting 
When you find it, your state
of mind will make it seem as if everything is exactly as it was the last time. The problem is that, from
the market's perspective, it is not the same. As a result, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
What separates the best traders from all the rest is that they have trained their minds to believe in the
uniqueness of each moment (although this training usually takes the form of losing several fortunes
before they "really" believe in the concept of uniqueness). This belief acts as a counteracting force,
neutralizing the automatic association mechanism. When you truly believe that each moment is unique,
then by definition there isn't anything in your mind for the association mechanism to link that moment
to. This belief acts as an internal force causing you to disassociate the "now" moment in the market
from any previous moment filed away in your mental environment. The stronger your belief in the
uniqueness of each moment, the lower your potential to associate. The lower your potential to
associate, the more open your mind will be to perceive what the market is offering you from its
perspective.

I realize that when I take a trade without a true and defined exit then I tend to be 'hoping'. Today, I expected it to go up to a certain level once I gathered the appropriate evidence for the direction. A lot of trades I have taken in the past is that I get sucked into the micro-moment and forget about longer term targets. So, I get into a good pivot, expect 3-4 points, to get 2 and then panic with an exit and not giving any thoughts to the long term movements. Sometimes it goes down for many more points, or others it goes right back in the direction where I caught the pull back.

When I pay attention to the longer term flow, it feeds me what I need. When I don't, I get eaten up or with small wins...

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Ok, after reading some more "Trading in the zone", I have figured out my metrics to make sure I can see my path and I know when I get there.

I have a 20 day and a 60 day metric that must be hit to show consistent profitability before I venture down the path of live again. As you can see, I am getting there, but still a ways to go for now.

This is figuring 16 days of trading @ 2 points per day positive. Some days will be losers, etc.. If I can't do that with 1 contract, then sim is fine for now.

(AVG. is mis-labeled as it is really a SUM)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goal.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	46253  

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Good day today, but I noticed a bad habit.

I was concerned the entire trade that I would not be getting the full run as well as I didn't want to give any 'back'. I wasn't technical, thinking of a technical exit (or about 20% was I guess). Once I fix that again and become more mechanical then I will truly bring in more consistency.

I am doing well with an elevated market, whereas my wife does not like this.

Video

Thanked by:

Trader Duck 
Fairbanks, Alaska

Broker: AMP/CQG & Kinetic
Trading: CL, GC, NQ
Thanks Given: 130
Thanks Received: 78

bluemele View Post
I have attached my indicators on a later post. I now use NT7 over TradeStation as it is free, and I really like chart trading as well as some of the other features. I am not LIVE again yet! Not until I can be more effective with NT7.
--------ORIGINAL 1st POST ---------
Hi all,

Here is my journal.

Today:

1.2 points on TF (SIM) in first 3 minutes of market open, caught a bit of separation on the smaller timeframes, exited a little early on a pullback as there was another 15 or so ticks left in the run. Last night it hit my 50% target on the higher time-frame and why I didn't hit that really nice long Friday! Friday it missed my target by 3 ticks and it jumped after that. Let it go....

First day back on the simulator since I have been watching charts for the last 6 weeks after having a bad August. My trading has been sporadic with 40-50 ticks some days average per contract to -40 or -50 ticks!

Time to move it to the more profitable side.

I use a simple (NEXGEN) type setup using Price Action & Fibs heavily.

Today I did not stop trading and was playing with the Simulator to get reacquainted.

Tomorrow, let's see what the day brings.

Your charts and comments look and read exactly as taught by Henry with New Futures Trading. This guy is amazing. He is the best trader I have ever seen.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Trader Duck View Post
Your charts and comments look and read exactly as taught by Henry with New Futures Trading. This guy is amazing. He is the best trader I have ever seen.

Glad you like him. I think he is also a good trader and someone who has taught a few good people.

I am sure Big Mike will post something like please keep comments in the vendor section.

Last Updated on July 12, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts